What's new

Camping cot’s, what’s your poison?

FLrider

Member Number
So after my last trip and a leaky sleeping pad which required replacing the next morning :bluduh , I am thinking more about a cot rather then another blowup thingy… :evil
I have used Thermarest, Exped, etc but eventually they all fail at some point. Not that cots can’t break but what do y’all use? :lurk

I borrowed a cot from a buddy one time and was fantastic compared to my 1.5" Thermarest. It was the house brand from Sportsman's Warehouse. Not ultra compact, but reasonable and held my 220+ lbs with ease.

I’m getting a cot for the next time I go camping. I don’t camp very often so I’m not very seasoned but last time out I made a mistake by leaving a tote hanging out from under the canopy I put up over my tent. It rained pretty good and it acted as a trough directing water into the side of my tent. :lol2

I would’ve been high and dry on a cot!

Can't as I am a restless sleeper and turn too much, besides I doubt my back will handle the banana shape for more then an hour... :D
Not to veer off the OP, but my Blackbird XLC you sleep cocked a little bit to the side. you sleep almost flat.

No cot for me. I have cheap air mattress from store called Jysk. It's about 5 inches thick when aired up. Luxury. When packing up I put it on top of my sleeping bag when rolling it up. I notice no difference in the thickness of the sleeping bag if the mattress is there or not.
And I just bought a Helinox-copy-camping-chair from same store for 10 Euros. Who can resist 50% off?

Big Bear Camping Cot

I've been using this model cot for about 8 years now, very comfortable, with my back I cannot get good nights rest on the ground even with the best air mattress. It's super rugged and very stable, I'm 6' tall, and at one time 230lbs, and nary a groan or shimmy. Some cons, it's heavy, it wont go in a pannier so it hangs out on top of my waterproof bag, it can be a PITA to set up in a small tent if it's raining, a sleeping pad helps if it's cold. I had a big agnes canyon tent for a time and this cot went from stem to stern filled the entire tent with just enough room to store helmet and jacket to the side. I now have a large Redvers, it's like a hotel room.

Big Bear Camping Cot

I've been using this model cot for about 8 years now, very comfortable, with my back I cannot get good nights rest on the ground even with the best air mattress. It's super rugged and very stable, I'm 6' tall, and at one time 230lbs, and nary a groan or shimmy. Some cons, it's heavy, it wont go in a pannier so it hangs out on top of my waterproof bag, it can be a PITA to set up in a small tent if it's raining, a sleeping pad helps if it's cold. I had a big agnes canyon tent for a time and this cot went from stem to stern filled the entire tent with just enough room to store helmet and jacket to the side. I now have a large Redvers, it's like a hotel room.
This is the same basic design as the one I used .I don't consider it's size an issue considering the peace of mind you get with how strong they are.

Last edited:
Big Bear Camping Cot

Thanks for the useful link on cots. Quite an interesting site..👍

Top Bottom Back Refresh