What's new

Data on Motorcycle Related Death

cabanza

Member Number
From Revzilla:

While I am not surprised that the number of motorcycle related death are on the rise, I am stunned that 36% of all death involve riders without a license. What?! :eekers
That’s no motorcycle license.

I’m pretty lucky to be alive because I got my bike in 2021 (the year that the article is citing stats from) and rode a lot before I got my endorsement.

I feel especially lucky to be alive because I also rode mostly when I was drunk, during the day in August while speeding through intersections without a helmet. Probably the only thing that saved me was that I’m well past the highest risk age group of 25-29.

Of course I’m joking around and I do take safety seriously. From now on I’m only riding in foggy conditions. Only 1% of fatal crashes happen in the fog. :D

While I am not surprised that the number of motorcycle related death are on the rise, I am stunned that 36% of all death involve riders without a license. What?! :eekers
I wish I could say I was surprised, but having involvement in the MSF program I am amazed at how many are taking the classes because they got caught unlicensed. Further, due to no licenses, they are also uninsured in many cases.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but having involvement in the MSF program I am amazed at how many are taking the classes because they got caught unlicensed. Further, due to no licenses, they are also uninsured in many cases.
I've noticed the unendorsed riders stick out like a sore thumb. It's all fun and games until the unendorsed and uninsured rider fucks up and causes injury to some innocent person.

Most of them seem to live here in Florida… We have added insurance for the uninsured idiots that live here for both motorcycles and cages… A lot of drivers don’t have a license or drive on suspended licenses as that group of idiots just don’t care about anyone…:bluduh

I took the msf course because it was a bee line to an M endorsement. My bike physically couldn't make the u turn that the DMV painted on the ground. I showed the lady that the steering radius at full luck couldn't compete their course. Failed.

The guy who dropped his bike during the test trying to force it to turn tighter then possible, passed.

I rode my bike to the MSF classes and the instructor had it in for me. I passed, but that class was a joke. They had us riding street bikes over 4x4 posts laying loose in the parking lot at 45° to our path of travel. Um...are you actively trying to hurt people?

The MSF classes get referred to as some sort of infallible entity, while independent course teachers can make a disaster of things. I don't hold the MSF in high regard. Maybe if they standardized their courses, enforced the standards and the "I'm a tough cowboy msf teacher and if you can pass my class you can ride anything" people are put to rest.

A friend of mine had trouble with the MSF course too. The instructor made sex jokes and kept students standing out in the sun to the point where one guy passed out. She dropped the bike during an exercise, burned her leg on the pipe and the instructor forbade anyone from helping her while he yelled about it. Afterwards she called the harley dealership that was sponsoring the class, their response was "yeah thats him..." and that was that.

I took the MSF Advanced rider course in 2022, an entirely different experience. Several women were in the class, no sex jokes. One of the riders dropped her bike a couple times, half the class helped her up, and the instructor did "fallover report" paperwork... So it would be great if the MSF could work on the consistency a bit.

I took the msf course because it was a bee line to an M endorsement. My bike physically couldn't make the u turn that the DMV painted on the ground. I showed the lady that the steering radius at full luck couldn't compete their course. Failed.

The guy who dropped his bike during the test trying to force it to turn tighter then possible, passed.

I rode my bike to the MSF classes and the instructor had it in for me. I passed, but that class was a joke. They had us riding street bikes over 4x4 posts laying loose in the parking lot at 45° to our path of travel. Um...are you actively trying to hurt people?

The MSF classes get referred to as some sort of infallible entity, while independent course teachers can make a disaster of things. I don't hold the MSF in high regard. Maybe if they standardized their courses, enforced the standards and the "I'm a tough cowboy msf teacher and if you can pass my class you can ride anything" people are put to rest.
Wow, that isn't the norm. IN VA you can't ride your own bike in the BRC, they provide 125-200cc basic standard bikes for the course. That 4X4 stupidity makes no sense.

A friend of mine had trouble with the MSF course too. The instructor made sex jokes and kept students standing out in the sun to the point where one guy passed out. She dropped the bike during an exercise, burned her leg on the pipe and the instructor forbade anyone from helping her while he yelled about it. Afterwards she called the harley dealership that was sponsoring the class, their response was "yeah thats him..." and that was that.

I took the MSF Advanced rider course in 2022, an entirely different experience. Several women were in the class, no sex jokes. One of the riders dropped her bike a couple times, half the class helped her up, and the instructor did "fallover report" paperwork... So it would be great if the MSF could work on the consistency a bit.
Unfortunately the MSF rules are not the same for each state. VA MSF will not get you anything in MD, and obviously FL MSF are just nuts!

Wow, that isn't the norm. IN VA you can't ride your own bike in the BRC, they provide 125-200cc basic standard bikes for the course. That 4X4 stupidity makes no sense.
I was lucky enough to get a DR200 for the test and I zagged at the last second to hit the 4x4 at a 90° angle. I got fused at but didn't care 😁

I'm in VA, but it was around 15 years ago when I got my license. I rode for quite a while before I got it. It was standard to use your own bike for the DMV test, but the MSF course supplied their own bikes.

For the state test I had to make the tighter u turn on my xt because less than 250cc. It was full steering lock u turn. I had to use the brake and throttle for balance. Fortunately I practiced that skill after reading police bike maneuvers. U turn space was a little wider than a a parking space. It would be a piece of cake on a ct70.

My wife has taken the MSF course twice. Burned her leg on a Honda Rebel's exhaust so badly the first time and had to drop out. She was doing fine and determined to continue that day, but on Day 2, it was too painful so she dropped out. Went back a month later and aced it. Then after her first cervical spine surgery and the surgeon's admonition to never again ride or even wear a helmet, she let her endorsement lapse. A few years later (and spine fusion #2 - C3-7), she decided that he was full of it, life was short and she wanted to ride again. She had to do the test all over again. She can ride, but this time, she didn't do as well on the U-turn. Due to a snafu, the clerk misread the results and gave her the endorsement. She won't let this endorsement expire.

I've ridden the state's course and it's doable, but not so easy on a longer WB cruiser. I'm happy I was grandfathered in and didn't have to take it.

I was told if we skipped the MSF and took the state's test on the scooter, then we'd only be scooter qualified. Whatever that means. :dunno

Last edited:
I revived a 1979 cb750 with chopper forks for my neighbor. The bike sat for 22 yrs. Anyways I went with him on practice runs. I dropped the forks for the u turn and tight turns. There was no other way. He scheduled a test date. It was raining and I went for moral support. The outcome..1st try and he is 6 Harleys later and rode 20x as much as me all over the country.

Last edited:
The bike they gave me for the class was so small it would have fit in my jacket pocket so when the “instructor “ kept yelling at me for sticking my knees out I told him I’d shove that tiny bike up his ass if he kept that up. I passed….:lol3

The bike they gave me for the class was so small it would have fit in my jacket pocket so when the “instructor “ kept yelling at me for sticking my knees out I told him I’d shove that tiny bike up his ass if he kept that up. I passed….:lol3
"Today a Florida Man shoved a small motorcycle up another man's ass."

Yep, that is a totally believable news article out of FL.

Top Bottom Back Refresh