What's new

Rant About Your Day Here!

That tool pouch means business- like the coverage you have in there. :thumbup I tend to have to much junk in my road toolbag.. it pays off just often enough to not make me get rid of some stuff.

That tool pouch means business- like the coverage you have in there. :thumbup I tend to have to much junk in my road toolbag.. it pays off just often enough to not make me get rid of some stuff.
Everything has it's place. No exceptions. I get grumpy when something's not where I left it.

Your road toolbag sounds like my torch box. It's too heavy because of all the extra junk in there, but sometimes a random fitting can save hours of work, so it stays in the box!

Copy on the torch box :) My torch stuff only rarely goes on the road so I don't have an organized box for it. But yeah my road bag has saved a load of time here and there, just from the stash of oddball screws and wirenuts etc. I keep a cute little pipe wrench in there too... I do keep my socket set boxes pretty tight though- regular censuses of the misc sockets, culling the junk when good ones show up and so on. Same with the combo wrenches.

Armadillos. It's been dry here, so I was hand watering some newly planted shrubs when a baby armadillo wandered up and started rooting around in the mulch I had just soaked. A cute little bugger and I thought SWMBO would like seeing it, so I went inside and told her. She comes out and within a few minutes three more came out ----- from under our house! Okay, I'm a live and let live guy. They'll grow up and move on soon enough, but she wants them gone NOW! Never did see Mama 'dillo.

So now I have another project. :baldy

Dillos are common down here. We usually have to pack a few mothballs in the hole under the house, then pack with rock and dirt every few inches with a homemade tamper.

I welded a 2.5" DIA steel disk to the end of a 4' 5/8" dia REBAR. add more mothballs every 4" as you pack the dirt and rock in the hole

Seems to work

I spent time last night online searching for remedies. Mothballs seem to be #1, followed by vinegar on cotton balls. They went in under the crawlspace gate and I want to avoid driving them deeper into the crawl space. Lots of nooks and crannies under there and if I can't get them out before I close up the entrance, I'm concerned they will die underneath (and smell for months). Thinking of building a trap door that will only open out before sealing up the opening.

First step will be this afternoon/dusk. I'll toss some mothballs in all the crawlspace openings first. I've got a couple of bug bomb aerosols in the garage. I'll set a couple off at the other end of the house using the shop vac to blow the smell deeper underneath and see if that encourages all of them to exit. If that doesn't work, a dish of cleaning vinegar in the tank and blow those fumes next. I'll sit in a lawn chair with a cold drink and wait. Should be an interesting evening. :D

I have 2 big lab cross dogs that will eliminate 'dillos , skunks, possums, coons, bobcats and any other varmints that get close to the house. They're getting old so I got a Malinios pup to take over. Jury is still out on him ,he's 13 weeks old and has a lot of growing to do.

SWMBO is worried that Knothead or our senior, well past her projected expiration date cat will interact with one of them. I didn’t dare tell her about the diseases that ‘Dillos can carry. I ain’t stoopid. :D

Temps here in the high eighties and heading higher with a steady 12-15 mph breeze coming in from the NorthEast. So I put five 8 ounce bags of mothballs through a 1” pipe and into the crawlspace vents on the leeward side, then smoothed over the ‘dillo exit. Will continue to monitor for evidence of their escape.

No armadillo's (armadilli?) around here, so I'm jealous y'all get to play with em and I can't. 😁

So they cause trouble burrowing? Like a groundhog, I reckon

I learned more than I had known while figuring out these buggers. The diseases they can carry (Leprosy, Salmonella, Rabies, Tapeworms, etc.) was new to me. I had noticed where something had been digging up areas where I'd planted bulbs last Fall and thought maybe squirrels or raccoons, but they came up this Spring, so ruled that out. I hadn't seen any 'dillos in decades, so it wasn't until I saw them that I figured it out.

I haven't seen an signs of them in the last 2 days, but if'n you want a couple, I can box a few up and send them to 'ya. Some even say they're tasty. :lol3

Last edited:
You could make a hat! :lol2

1718487031849.png

(From the Dukes of Hazzard Movie)

Top Bottom Back Refresh