What's new

120/70-17 dirty tires?

AwDang

Member Number
All I’m finding is the TKC80, are there any other options?

Shinko 804/805

Way better than any tkc if you can get them in size needed.

Will a 130/90 not fit. Or a 130/80? I use the 130 width on the DR with wonderful results and opens up a few options.

172A94FB-86BC-4516-A839-748A16827A40.png

Nearly two inches height difference between a 120/70 and a 130/80? Geez, that don't seem right, but I've never measured one in the flesh to know, so just an observation.

Depends on the tire maker, but I haven't experienced that much of a difference. The second number in the formula is the aspect ratio which is the percentage of width. So theoretically a 120/70 would have an 84mm sidewall. 130/80 a 104mm, and a 130/90 a 117mm. So while.it doesn't seem right the math isn't far off. But tire makers vary widely on actual size, plus the depth of the knobs also effect height. My experience with kenda K760 is the isn't much difference between 120 and 130. The tusk DSport had a significant height difference between the two. Basing this on my son's bikes which have 18" rims. I've always ran 130/90 or 130/80 on the DR, whichever was available from the brand I was wanting to try at the time. I have a long inseam so it wasn't really a concern for me, but those with shorter inseams I can see would be a valid concern.

You're right , there are not a lot of options

This is also offered in 120/70-17
1659194486959.png

Not great, but seen a few guys ride them in rough roads in Alaska
1659194514718.png

You're right , there are not a lot of options

This is also offered in 120/70-17
1659194486959.png

Not great, but seen a few guys ride them in rough roads in Alaska
1659194514718.png
That came stock on the Svartpilen 401. Still a more road biased “looks” knobbie. I’d rather have the chevrons of the 70 or 705 for clearing rain.

Been considering a more all terrain type tire for my FZ09 and it seems the TKC 70's and 80's are both discontinued. Continental says they had too many recalls, so they decided to stop importing them to North America.

I guess that's diplomatic talk for " Damn Americans don't understand knobs wear shitty on payment and we got tired of warrantying out perfectly good tires"

Looks like I might be hitting up MVI for rubber

Looks like I might be hitting up MVI for rubber
The tractionator worked better than I thought it would. It does not do great in mud, but nothing short of a full knobbie will. Gravel roads were great until you got up into the larger deeper rock. The 3/4" plus rock in some places made it wander. With 8800 on it, there is still plenty of tread left.

The tractionator worked better than I thought it would. It does not do great in mud, but nothing short of a full knobbie will. Gravel roads were great until you got up into the larger deeper rock. The 3/4" plus rock in some places made it wander. With 8800 on it, there is still plenty of tread left.

Dropping a little air pressure helps that profile immensity on Rocks

Gravel is all in interested in since there's so many dirt/gravel roads where I live. I learned my lesson with mud and 400lb bikes long ago!

8800 miles is crazy. I usually go through a rear in 2500 or less, sport or dual sport tires. Are they made of plastic? 😁

Gravel is all in interested in since there's so many dirt/gravel roads where I live. I learned my lesson with mud and 400lb bikes long ago!

8800 miles is crazy. I usually go through a rear in 2500 or less, sport or dual sport tires. Are they made of plastic? 😁
The rear tire is bald and square. Traction on the street is good. Wet traction was also good. The back was getting squirrely in the dirt there at the end :lol2

I usually don't get more than 5K out of a front but I usually run 606's.

Top Bottom Back Refresh