What's new

1250GS Gear Shift Assist Pro (GSAP) question

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number
On the 1250GS, does GSAP work in all ride modes? The owners manual does not address this specifically so it leads me to believe that it works in all modes.

Never ridden a Current GS but own sXR and sRR and hired numerous rRS bikes in Europe. The clutchless shift system is independent. It will match revs. The mode manages abruptness.

Reactions: MVI
Works for me in every mode so far. I have not tried Enduro Pro, but I assume it will work as all the others have so far.

Any reason you can’t try it on your bike?

Mine works in all modes.

On the 1250GS, does GSAP work in all ride modes? The owners manual does not address this specifically so it leads me to believe that it works in all modes.
I have a '22 1250 GSA with Dynamic Pro etc. It works in all modes but cruise control doesn't work in Enduro.

BTW, when you downshift with it, you have to have the throttle completely closed. You can't us it to upshift while decelerating. I had a '17 wet-head RT. The shift assist was a lot more fussy on it than the new bike.

Coming to this thread a bit late. On my '22 GSA, using the shift assist between 1st and 2nd, the front wheel wants to lift up and that's with "normal" throttle. After I get more comfortable on the bike, I can see myself engaging in some spirited upshifting while tugging on the handlebars. :lol3

I've been practicing with the shift assist on my first ever GS, a 2018 Rallye.
It works really well on twisty technical roads.
It automatically blips the throttle on downshifts then allows you to get back on the throttle quickly.
I find upshifting works better with a little higher RPM and an aggressive upshift. Be careful not to preload the shift lever.

I've been practicing with the shift assist on my first ever GS, a 2018 Rallye.
It works really well on twisty technical roads.
It automatically blips the throttle on downshifts then allows you to get back on the throttle quickly.
I find upshifting works better with a little higher RPM and an aggressive upshift. Be careful not to preload the shift lever.
This is very valuable information. I did not know it automatically blipped the throttle. I took mine out of Dynamic Pro and put it in Road mode trying to get rid of the "blipping". It was cauisng some problems since I enter the apex pretty hot and don't want it increasing the RPMs at a time when I need another 1 or 2/10ths of a second to scrub off speed. Frankly, it scares the $hit out of me.

Thanks KYwoodsrider.

Yes...All ride modes. Cruise Control will not work in enduro mode.

This is very valuable information. I did not know it automatically blipped the throttle. I took mine out of Dynamic Pro and put it in Road mode trying to get rid of the "blipping". It was cauisng some problems since I enter the apex pretty hot and don't want it increasing the RPMs at a time when I need another 1 or 2/10ths of a second to scrub off speed. Frankly, it scares the $hit out of me.

Thanks KYwoodsrider.
Trav:

Practice with shift assist in a non-life-threatening situation and get used to it. It's quite a good tool for technical riding when you can use it without thinking. Much faster and less awkward than clutch downshifts, especially when braking hard at the same time.

Shift Assist works the same in all modes. I had this on my '17 RT and it was fussier about how and when you used it...was more violent in lower gears. Now, I have a '22 GSA. It's more forgiving but you must not pre-load the shift lever before you shift. It will go into zing mode...sound mechanically bad as it does the blip but not the shift.

Here are my basic rules for successful Shift Assist:

Upshifts: If you're really doing a hole-shot, you can use it for everything...do not let off the throttle at all when you shift it. The 1-2 shift will be very hard, but presumably, that's what you want. If you're riding like a sane person, just use the clutch for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Above that, upshifts are good. Again, don't let up on throttle when shifting. Let the bike do that.

Downshifts: Alway always alway CLOSE THE THROTTLE all the way before downshifting. Especially on ealier Shift Assist bikes, which '18 is. Shift Assist does not work at all if it doesn't sense a closed throttle.

If this is new to you, you have to do it a thousand times or so to not think about it, but learning it is very worthwhile. I shift a lot during technical riding stints. To others behind me, I look smooth. You almost never see a brake light from my bike because I'm using the gears to slow it prior to turning in. Bike is more controllable when you use engine braking as trail-braking. Engine braking is plentiful on boxer twins...one of my favorite traits of these bikes.

Coming to this thread a bit late. On my '22 GSA, using the shift assist between 1st and 2nd, the front wheel wants to lift up and that's with "normal" throttle. After I get more comfortable on the bike, I can see myself engaging in some spirited upshifting while tugging on the handlebars. :lol3
Yeah, I just use the clutch for smooth 1-2 and even 2-3 shifts. You learn where it's appropriate to use and where it's not.

You're right, wailing full-throttle acceleration makes the violent 1-2 shift feel just right. I don't do it often but sometimes I'm just in a hurry...like merging from a right hand entrance ramp when a car decides to change lanes from the left into me... I could mash the brakes and risk whatever's behind me hitting me or go fast around the trouble. There are appropriate times to use all the bike has. I practice for those times..heh-heh, for safety's sake.

Shift Assist is a great tool to have in your box of tricks.

Back
Top Bottom