What's new

- Week 200 MPH and Upside Down on a Scooter Ride?

The next thing I did was get my scooter and pose it in front of the T-28.

P6250079 (2).JPG

P6250080 (2).JPG

Then I went back to taking more pics of the vintage bikes.

P6250083.JPG

P6250084.JPG

P6250086.JPG

The organizers had to be happy with the turnout. Any idea on how many people showed up?
They were limiting the attendance to 500 but I don't know if they reached that number. There was a purpose for this event besides providing entertainment for us bike and aircraft fans. They were raising money for the local DAV (Disabled American Veterans). They didn't charge admission and even provided a free hot dog lunch. To raise money they did a 50/50 raffle and auctioned of some stuff. They did this in the Hangar towards the end of the event.

Two of the guys responsible for this event.

DSC04552 (2).JPG

The auction.

DSC04564 (2).JPG

DSC04581.JPG

The stuff they auctioned off was either stuff I had no interest in or was the wrong size so I bought a bunch of 50/50 tickets.

The last thing they auctioned off was certainly interesting but I really don't need another scooter.

DSC04592.JPG

I think it went for $2K

I was only planning on staying at this event for a couple of hours but ended up staying for the whole time, nearly 6 hours. It wasn't until I was riding home that it really hit me what had just happened. This will without a doubt be one of the year's highlights for me. That T-28 flight was a real treat. It was extra special because it was a Navy aircraft. I retired from the Navy in 2005 after 21 years as a naval Aviator. This was a real flashback but I never flew anything like the T-28. Everything I flew was turbine powered and this was an old radial piston engine. It would be like riding modern bikes and then getting a ride on an old Harley.

It was also the first time I wore a parachute or was upside down in an aircraft since 1985. This was me in 1985:

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_t-341985_zps2c81e8ba.jpg

That was 37 years ago!

After the auction I offered to take pics of anyone who wanted to pose their bike with the T-28 in the background. A few people took me up on it.

DSC04593 (2).JPG

DSC04595 (2).JPG

DSC04596 (2).JPG

DSC04601 (2).JPG

DSC04608 (2).JPG

P6250098 (2).JPG
That Ducati SS 900 is my all time favorite bike! I've never ridden one (but I rode a newer 1999 version) and I am scared to own one but I think it's the most beautiful bike ever. I'll take a 1998 Final Edition please.

That Ducati SS 900 is my all time favorite bike! I've never ridden one (but I rode a newer 1999 version) and I am scared to own one but I think it's the most beautiful bike ever. I'll take a 1998 Final Edition please.
It is a beautiful bike. I have ridden a couple of them. The first one was pretty much stock and steered like a truck. The second had been modified with the tail raised and steering made lighter and quicker. It handled better.

Last edited:
My 2ed bike was a 90cc BS like the black one in the photo. I didn't see my #1, a 150cc Honda Dream though.
BTW, that big blue scooter with those sticking out things on both sides that say "NAVY" on them... is it an automatic?
Just askin' for a friend.

BTW, thanks for the ride-along.

Top Bottom Back Refresh