What's new

2015 V-Strom 650 has no power

Soggy Biscuit

Member Number
Hello folks,

I recently purchased a 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650. I was riding it quite a bit for the last 24hrs. I parked it around 1000EST. It was running fine at that point. I was going to ride it into work tonight. This is when I noticed the problem. I have no auxiliary power- no lights, fuel pump noise, nothing. I've already checked on Stormtrooper for viable solutions. They all recommended what I've already tried: check the 30 amp fuses, check connections to battery, tighten those connections if loose, take a multi-meter tool to the other fuses, and do some other stuff. I don't have the luxury of a garage, so a poncho fix in my apartment parking lot at the moment isn't an option. I'm about to head out to work, so I won't be able to check the forum until I'm home in about 12 hours. Suggestions are welcome. If anybody on here is in the West Chester, PA area, feel free to hit me up and help get this thing running again. I'll buy you a case of beverage if a solution is found. The place I bought it from isn't open on Sundays and Mondays. Such weird days to be closed, and Monday is my only day/night off from work. :\

It's a shame. I was really looking forward to riding to work all week long.

No power at all?

Is it anything like a DR650? From the factory, if you turn the key a smidge beyond "lock" to lock the bars in place, it kicks on the rear light. Very easy to turn the key too far, and walk off killing the battery overnight. Not sure if that carries over to the vstrom.

Yup check batt voltage. And I can try to help from far away.

No power at all?

Is it anything like a DR650? From the factory, if you turn the key a smidge beyond "lock" to lock the bars in place, it kicks on the rear light. Very easy to turn the key too far, and walk off killing the battery overnight. Not sure if that carries over to the vstrom.
Y'know, I think I accidentally did that. Hopefully that's what happened and it isn't something more complex and costly.

Also be sure to check the battery cables for physical breaks.

Buddy had a KTM that was giving us fits.... turned out that the battery cable had broken under the heat shrink next to the terminal. Sometimes it would connect and other times it wouldn't.

Every time we fiddled with stuff it would connect enough to start and idle/rev just fine. Ride it just a few yards and the vibration was enough to make it constantly cut out.

If that is what the issue is, you'll only do it once. :D
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that is what the issue stemmed from. ONLY ONCE! NEVER AGAIN! :imaposer I also briefed myself on that other "feature" with the clutch switch. It looks like it was dealt with by the previous owner. He or she left a ton of goodies under the seat. Thank you whoever consigned it to Martin Moto in Boyertown, PA! Your small tool bag helps! :D Martin Moto deserves some praise as well. They're a good group of people to deal with. They don't get pissy if I want to sit on any bike on the floor or do test rides until I feel I've had enough.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but can work with electrical and hydraulic systems pretty well. Poncho tunes are difficult since I'm limited on space and the amount of tools at my disposal. At any rate, I'll ride around tonight and show off my bike to my part-time coworkers.

Last night into this morning at work was something else. I narrowly avoided a full fledged drum brake fire on the PA Turnpike. Tires blew out, sounded like bombs going off, and I saw a huge plume of thick black smoke. I used about half of the contents in the fire extinguisher. I still smell like charred metal and flamed out rubber. I need to take a shower and get some rest.

Thanks, folks! Until the next "feature" discovery!

haha, glad it worked out for yea.:beer

I did that on my DR when it was new. :lol2
Never knew about this. I have owned to 2 drz and the recent strom. But my 2007 sportster had an accessory position. And I killed the battery..once!

Never knew about this. I have owned to 2 drz and the recent strom. But my 2007 sportster had an accessory position. And I killed the battery..once!
Lol I did the same thing a few weeks after buying my dads sportster, left it in accessory, went to ride into work and.....nothing lol
Also relearned to check that the petcock is set to on and not reserve :baldy

Only took one session of pushing my old Bandit down the road to a gas station to learn the "on vs reserve" lesson :rofl I still remember the engine starting to miss and the reach-around to get at the petcock lever to go on reserve right in the middle a highway run or exciting merge.

Only took one session of pushing my old Bandit down the road to a gas station to learn the "on vs reserve" lesson :rofl I still remember the engine starting to miss and the reach-around to get at the petcock lever to go on reserve right in the middle a highway run or exciting merge.
That happened on my first bike, an 86 Honda 250. It was kickstart only. There I am, at the stoplight kicking the shit out of the thing. Look at the petcock...oh. :lol2

Top Bottom Back Refresh