What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

2019 Honda CRF450L - ZoomerP

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
I want a list of what I've done to my bike, and I'd rather it not be used to generate ad revenue, so this is the perfect place to post it. I'll keep the opening post current with how the bike sits.

1644542662349.png

Safety & Comfort
Doubletake Adventure Mirrors
Flatland Racing rear fender rack
Flatland Racing license plate holder
Attack Graphics frame grip tape

Protection
Enduro Engineering handguards

Flatland Racing front disc guard

Works Connection rear master cylinder guard
Works Connection rear caliper guard

Engine
Twin Air engine air filter: #150226

Exhaust Options

Tires & Tubes

IRC GP21 80/100-21 (OEM)
IRC GP22 120/80-18 (OEM)

Bridgestone Heavy Duty Tube: 80/100x21
Tusk Standard Tube 110-120/100x18

Toolkit
Motion Pro 1/4" T-handle: #08-0359
Motion Pro T6 tire lever combo (10/12/22/27/32mm): 08-0589
Tusk axle wrench (steel): 22mm/32mm

Fluids & Consumables
Twin Air Liquid Power air filter oil
Honda OEM oil filter: #1275600005
Honda OEM oil filter O-ring: #1620020001
Bolt brand crush washer kit
NGK spark plug: #SILMAR9A9S
Specbolt Honda CRF bolt kit (250 pc)
Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Dirt Bike Oil

Service Tools
Factory Service Manuals
Polisport Folding Bike Stand
Motion Pro curved 15" tire iron (2): #08-0007
Motion Pro Bead Buddy II: #08-0471
Works Connection CRF EZ Oil Drain System
Tirox 360 chain brush
Motion Pro Cable Luber v3
D.I.D KM500R chain tool

Replacement Parts
Moose Racing Seal Kit: 0935-1052
Counter Shaft seal: ProX CS Seal Kit PN#26.640008
Chain: D.I.D 520ERVT-120FB for stock sprockets (13F-51R)
D.I.D 520ERVT master link (rivet): #520ERVT ZJ CL
D.I.D 520ERVT master link (clip): #520ERVT FJ CL
OEM chain master link: Honda #40531-MKE-A12

Transport
RollerCam Expedition loop-end straps
Rack N Ride (Rack N Roll) MX Carrier

I'll use this post to keep track of updates & service history of the bike, with the next devoted to other gear. There's a wealth of information in an ADVrider thread, but it can be difficult to sift through all 470 pages of it, so I'll be extracting some of that wisdom for posts here.

Last edited:

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
I'm still a novice rider, and I wanted a dual sport that worked well on & off-road, yet wasn't an outdated pig. A friend pointed me to a great deal on a low mileage 450L, so that's how I ended up with this bike. Something less sporty would've been a better choice for me as a first bike, but I'm getting used to it. I want to use it for BDRs and longer distance riding, which is reflected in some of the changes I've made. Other than the shorter-than-ADV service intervals, the bike fits well with what I want to do, and oil changes aren't a big deal.

DJ_MI

Member Number
Any update on how are you liking your 450L?

I'm looking at replacement options for my KLX300 and the 450 is up there on my list.

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
Any update on how are you liking your 450L?

I'm looking at replacement options for my KLX300 and the 450 is up there on my list.
If possible, give one a test ride. Also, many have found that the L smooths out with 1000-1500 miles on it. From the engine to the suspension, it just rides better once broken in.

My update is that I need to ride more. I recently bought a new bicycle, so I've been focused on riding it, but I'm finding time for both.

The bike is a handful for a new rider like me, so I'm installing a flywheel weight to tame the hit a little and make it easier for me to control at lower speeds. I have some other parts to mess with, but the FWW is what really needs doing.

DJ_MI

Member Number
If possible, give one a test ride. Also, many have found that the L smooths out with 1000-1500 miles on it. From the engine to the suspension, it just rides better once broken in.

My update is that I need to ride more. I recently bought a new bicycle, so I've been focused on riding it, but I'm finding time for both.

The bike is a handful for a new rider like me, so I'm installing a flywheel weight to tame the hit a little and make it easier for me to control at lower speeds. I have some other parts to mess with, but the FWW is what really needs doing.

Thanks!

Have you guys experienced any of the low speed stalling issues people talk about online?

I rode Evart MC Trail last weekend. It's touted as the toughest trail in Michigan's lower peninsula. My average speed was less than 10MPH and had a moving time of just over 3 hours. There was a lot of 'tractoring' of my bike. I almost didn't make it. :knary

I understand that the 450 is designed for more open and higher speed riding but do you guys think it would be suitable for that kind of lower speed riding over very rough terrain?

IMG_7860.JPG
IMG_7869.JPG

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
Thanks!

Have you guys experienced any of the low speed stalling issues people talk about online?

I rode Evart MC Trail last weekend. It's touted as the toughest trail in Michigan's lower peninsula. My average speed was less than 10MPH and had a moving time of just over 3 hours. There was a lot of 'tractoring' of my bike. I almost didn't make it. :knary

I understand that the 450 is designed for more open and higher speed riding but do you guys think it would be suitable for that kind of lower speed riding over very rough terrain?

IMG_7860.JPG
IMG_7869.JPG
People do it, but a lighter bike is easier to take through tighter & looser stuff. No surprise.

The Mighty L can go anywhere, even through sand dunes covered in snow drifts covered by sand.

1655476572933.png

The low speed stalling gets better once the idle speed is turned up and the bike is broken in. There's also some indication that the RL models have slightly different tuning that improves it. There are aftermarket solutions that improve the low speed stalling, but there are also people that have reported little problem with it, or that it's no worse than most fuel injected bikes. Here's a thread I started on the topic: https://advbikes.com/threads/honda-crf450l-rl-low-rpm-performance.134/

Here's another thread worth reviewing: https://advbikes.com/threads/crf450l-mega-thread.48/

When considering a 450L/RL, it's worth noting that some of the people making the most noise about the weight and stalling never rode one, rode one very little, or are the kind of person that buys and sells a dozen bikes a year trying to solve their problems by buying the perfect bike that they never quite find.

1655476746778.png

North ride

Member Number
Thanks!

IMG_7860.JPG
IMG_7869.JPG
I’ve never ridden a L but have ridden a few 450 dirt bikes. Even owned one for a season. The L appears to me to be a 450 dirt cycle with added street equipment and a emissions tune up.

Having said that a 450 will go in the technical stuff if you do your job. I find it a lot of work so best be fit and work on technique. They love climbing hills ! They are very Versatile not Many dirt bikes can cruise the highway and get through Bitingdog west coast gnar.

Not having ridden one so not sure how the power feels. But if it’s anything like a CRF450RX or you uncork it. You will need to respect it. A full on 450 is a heart attack serious off road bike.

DJ_MI

Member Number
People do it, but a lighter bike is easier to take through tighter & looser stuff. No surprise.

The Mighty L can go anywhere, even through sand dunes covered in snow drifts covered by sand.

1655476572933.png

The low speed stalling gets better once the idle speed is turned up and the bike is broken in. There's also some indication that the RL models have slightly different tuning that improves it. There are aftermarket solutions that improve the low speed stalling, but there are also people that have reported little problem with it, or that it's no worse than most fuel injected bikes. Here's a thread I started on the topic: https://advbikes.com/threads/honda-crf450l-rl-low-rpm-performance.134/

Here's another thread worth reviewing: https://advbikes.com/threads/crf450l-mega-thread.48/

When considering a 450L/RL, it's worth noting that some of the people making the most noise about the weight and stalling never rode one, rode one very little, or are the kind of person that buys and sells a dozen bikes a year trying to solve their problems by buying the perfect bike that they never quite find.

1655476746778.png
Thanks.

Yeah, there's a distinct lack of dual sport bikes in that class.

The 500 EXC-F looks like a great bike but the power is way beyond my skill level.

I know it doesn't translate to bikes but I come from the car world where 1/4 mile trap speed is a accurate indicator of the power to weight ratio.

Here's what these bikes would theoretically trap based on the HP/Lbs ratio and adding 200lbs for me and my gear:

KLX300 ~94 MPH
CRF450RL ~102.5 MPH
500 EXC-F ~115 MPH

I rode a friend's CR250 (2T) a few weeks ago which comes in at about 112 MPH theoretical trap speed. I'd get hurt for sure riding with that much power on the trails!

All roads seem to lead back to the CRF450RL.

DJ_MI

Member Number
I’ve never ridden a L but have ridden a few 450 dirt bikes. Even owned one for a season. The L appears to me to be a 450 dirt cycle with added street equipment and a emissions tune up.

Having said that a 450 will go in the technical stuff if you do your job. I find it a lot of work so best be fit and work on technique. They love climbing hills ! They are very Versatile not Many dirt bikes can cruise the highway and get through Bitingdog west coast gnar.

Not having ridden one so not sure how the power feels. But if it’s anything like a CRF450RX or you uncork it. You will need to respect it. A full on 450 is a heart attack serious off road bike.

A CRF450RX is 16 lbs lighter and appears to have about 13 more horsepower. Theoretical trap speed would be about 114 MPH. Definitely too much bike for me.

North ride

Member Number
A CRF450RX is 16 lbs lighter and appears to have about 13 more horsepower. Theoretical trap speed would be about 114 MPH. Definitely too much bike for me.
I’m a former drag racer as well. For riding a dirt bike in the woods the maximum power the bike has isn’t as important as how it’s delivered. The easiest bike to ride in the tech is a euro 300 2 stroke because it’s got plenty of low rpm power and it’s linear without much hit. A new KTM 300 likely makes as much or more power then the CR 250 you rode. But is much easier to get around lumpy ground on. The CR is a motocross bike with non liner power and a big old school hit.

4 strokes tend to have pretty liner power but don’t have just off idle power like the euro 300. But make no mistake get a handful of throttle on any big cc dirt bike when you didn’t want it. It will spit you on your head. I suggest learning to always cover the clutch.

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
There are more powerful and lighter bikes in the L's class. The L already has more than enough power for me.

If you're looking at early reviews and comments, be aware that the initial European release was limited to 25 hp, which wasn't always made clear.
But make no mistake get a handful of throttle on any big cc dirt bike when you didn’t want it. It will spit you on your head. I suggest learning to always cover the clutch.
I still feel sorry for this guy.

DJ_MI

Member Number
There are more powerful and lighter bikes in the L's class. The L already has more than enough power for me.

If you're looking at early reviews and comments, be aware that the initial European release was limited to 25 hp, which wasn't always made clear.

I still feel sorry for this guy.

Oof, that sucks! There's not many places worse than that to mess up in that fashion.

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
Oof, that sucks! There's not many places worse than that to mess up in that fashion.
I give him a lot of credit for owning up to it. It'd be easy to play it off like it never happened, blame the bike, or anything to not swallow your pride and just take it in the shorts. I'm sure no one was more relieved than him that the damage to bikes and people was minimal.

MVI

MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
I give him a lot of credit for owning up to it. It'd be easy to play it off like it never happened, blame the bike, or anything to not swallow your pride and just take it in the shorts. I'm sure no one was more relieved than him that the damage to bikes and people was minimal.
I've had worse get offs, but not in a parking lot....

DJ_MI

Member Number

For sure. It's funny how a mistake can actually bolster respect for a person if handled correctly.

DJ_MI

Member Number
I've had worse get offs, but not in a parking lot....

Yeah, but have you ever had a get off in front of that kind of audience? They had part of the 450L design team from Japan at the event, Johnny Campbell, media peers, and the Honda Racing crew.

My bike's been down twice in parking lots in the past year but that's another story.

Top Bottom