What's new

Aprilia Tuareg 660

I run this bike pretty hard. The way the bike sounds when using the qs is like a mini MotoGP bike. It is intoxicating. You can also come into corners and bang down shifts with no clutch. It autoblips to match the revs. Really cool, even if your feeling lazy. You don't need to run it to redline t[UWSL]o enjoy what is essentially an auto clutch. You only need the clutch to start and stop. [/UWSL]

She came home today.

Initial impressions:

I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I can flat-foot at lights. Odd sensation after being on tippy toes or a single foot down with my 701 Enduro and 1190 Adventure R.
How does the Tuareg compare to your 701?

I'm currently riding a 2019 KTM 690 but I'm thinking the Tuareg would be a good replacement.

I currently have a 390 Husaberg, 690 KTM and 1250 GSA and thinking the Tuareg would be a better middle ground bike? Or maybe even replace both the 690 and the GSA?

The Aprilia is far more enjoyable to ride on longer road rides. It is much smoother than the 701. Power feels very similar. I think the Ape pulls harder way up in the rev range. Off road the Aprilia has a much better turning circle and feels extremely light when doing a 180 on tight trails. Not sure why, but it is easier to whip a u turn on the Tuareg than the 701. I would say its a toss up in all of the rest of the performance areas off road. I dont miss the 701 at all.

Overall, very pleased. Did I mention how badass the quickshifter is? The entire package is just a blast.

This bike replaced my 1190 Adventure R. I do not miss the extra 80hp either. (150hp was stock, but mine had Power Commander V with custom maps by Rottweiler and stage 3 intake and full Ti exhaust... It was a missile)

The Aprilia is far more enjoyable to ride on longer road rides. It is much smoother than the 701. Power feels very similar. I think the Ape pulls harder way up in the rev range. Off road the Aprilia has a much better turning circle and feels extremely light when doing a 180 on tight trails. Not sure why, but it is easier to whip a u turn on the Tuareg than the 701. I would say its a toss up in all of the rest of the performance areas off road. I dont miss the 701 at all.

Overall, very pleased. Did I mention how badass the quickshifter is? The entire package is just a blast.

This bike replaced my 1190 Adventure R. I do not miss the extra 80hp either. (150hp was stock, but mine had Power Commander V with custom maps by Rottweiler and stage 3 intake and full Ti exhaust... It was a missile)

Thanks, I was guessing you would say something like this.

I'm looking to get a demo ride sometime next week, my 690 may be up for sale soon.

Ordered one last week, was told to expect about 3 month waiting list. Ace's cycles in Fort Collins, CO. First time I have ever ordered a brand new bike, and first time ordering a bike without so much as a test ride, or even test seat fitting.

Question for the riders who have their bikes.

I am around 210 lbs, has anyone tried a stiffer rear spring?

Seems like the quick shift is a must (I have similar on my busa powered sports racer and love it). Any other accessories I should be ordering now?

Highway Dirtbike ultimate handguards and Protaper Pastrana / ATV Race bars...

Attachments

• 20220817_123107.jpg
    20220817_123107.jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220816_131326.jpg
    20220816_131326.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220816_131317.jpg
    20220816_131317.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220817_123125.jpg
    20220817_123125.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220816_131341.jpg
    20220816_131341.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 35
Picked up mine last week, Mother Road Motosports in Tulsa. They had four on the floor, :-), Two blue and two yellow. I took a blue one.

Quick shifter on back order.

Place looks empty but there was a whole row of Moto Guzis behind me, some Aprillas and several scooters.
IMG_8223-X2.jpg

Farkling sort of started at the sale. I went in saying I'm not paying $600 for a paint job. When he asked me which one I wanted I didn't hesitate, the Blue and white one! $600 gone just like that! :raabia
You're supposed to say "I really wanted (insert color they don't have), but I guess I could settle for blue". :lol3

One of my local riding friends bought a blue one. He is moving up from his first bike, an XT225. That's quite a change for him!

I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

well 3 - 5 months waiting turned into about 5 weeks. Got lucky and a previous order did not get sold, issue with the finance. Dealer was happy to take my check.

Of course, as FASTRacing predicted, the farkling has already begun. Added a motor guard, which the dealer had in stock. Ordered the quickshift and a center stand, not in stock.

Ordered in August, showed up Thursday, picked it up Saturday
Aprilia Tuareg 660.
1st bike I have bought brand new (the MV Augusta has 125 miles on it but I bought it from the original owner)
1st bike I have bought without so much as a test ride

Put almost 200 miles on it Saturday, in our canyon and the next over. Ran out of daylight

First impressions
When I first saw it at the dealer - man that is a big bike. But it was surrounded by sport bikes. I am 6’2” and I sit with both feet flat and a good bend in my knees. Definitely not GS or Africa Twin big
Plenty of power, not running it hard yet, but nice delivery and plenty of torque in low revs. Love it does not shake and rattle like my old XR
Fantastic intake noise
I really like the handling both pavement and dirt. Bike leans in and takes a set, easy to adjust line with throttle. Rides nicer than the almost 30 year old Ducati 907ie sport bike. Actually feels like the 848 Hayden Ducati. There is a touch of tire squirm on pavement but only noticed it coming back to pavement from dirt

E-dash easy to operate and visible in all light conditions. 4 ride modes including a total custom one.

Plan is to ride the heck out of it next spring,summer and fall including CO and WY BDRs. Then put it in a crate and ship it to a buddy in Thailand and we plan a Vietnam/Thailand adventure in 2024.

Need gear. Suggestions for ADV style clothing that does not break the bank? Using my road helmet at the moment but I can see the value in a Mx style with goggles

Top Bottom Back Refresh