What's new

- Week 2022 "Beat the Heat" scooter rally

I went ahead and took everyone's pic coming through the railroad tunnel.

P8020070 (2).JPG

P8020072 (2).JPG

P8020074 (2).JPG

Soon afterwards we were on my favorite part of this ride. Miles of non stop tight twisties that make the dragon seem tame. I was having too much fun riding to take any pics. I need to get a GoPro some day and video this ride
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
. Eventually we caught up to the slow group who passed us by not stopping at the river. It was easy to take pics at the slower pace.

P8020079 (2).JPG

This road, while curvy is not nearly as twisty as the last two.

P8020081 (2).JPG

P8020083 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I took all these pics while riding. Taking pics ahead is easy.

P8020085 (2).JPG

Taking pics over the shoulder is more challenging.

P8020089 (2).JPG

The other group stopped to regroup at a turn so we passed them and raced up and over the mountain to one of my favorite spots to stop and take action pics.

P8020099 (2).JPG

John was from Texas and until this event had no experience riding twisty roads. He was doing just fine.

P8020101 (2).JPG

Some people turned around and got their pics taken going the other way.

P8020094 (2).JPG

I handed my camera to someone else so I could get some pics of me.

P8020111 (3).JPG

We continued on towards our lunch stop.

P8020114 (2).JPG

Riding into Mars Hill which is a college town.

P8020118 (2).JPG

We got to our lunch stop just after the other group.

P8020119 (2).JPG

None of us had eaten there before but both the food and service were good so we may use this place again next year. The place we had eaten at the previous years had closed.

The lunch stop also had the convenience of having a gas station next door.

P8020128 (2).JPG

After lunch we headed through town.

P8020132 (2).JPG

P8020133 (2).JPG

It didn't take long to get out of town and be back out in the country. There were a couple of long grades. Steve pulled alongside and passes me to remind me I was on a 150 and he was on a 250
icon10.gif

P8020135 (2).JPG

Back in the curves
ricky.gif
ricky.gif

P8020137 (2).JPG

Keep in mind I'm only taking pics in the easy curves. These roads are way curvier than my pics show.

P8020140 (2).JPG

We had a little snafu on this leg. For the second time in 3 years I missed a right turn I knew I had to take. I went a little ways, realized my error and we pulled a U turn and headed back. BTW, doing a U turn on a 2 lane road on the ADV150 is super easy.

We road back to the turn I missed, turned left and waited to make sure everyone made the turn. Len on the Silverwing didn't see us and went straight, The two guys behind him tried to chase him and get his attention with no luck so they turned around. We waited a couple of minutes and figured he would run into the second group and could just join them. We headed to our next stop, Hot Springs.

Like last year we picked a shaded spot to stop.

P8020142 (2).JPG

Like last year the other group parked in the hot sun. When they showed up Len wasn't with them. His wife was with that group and said he just rode past them
ne_nau.gif
I said he's a grown man, he'll figure it out and he does have a GPS right? Karin said he did have a GPS........in his truck!

We spent some time in Hot Springs.

P8020143 (2).JPG

A bunch of people headed to the ice cream shop around the corner. I headed over there as well. Besides being a curvaholic I'm also an Ice creamaholic. It will shock anyone that knows me that I ended up not having any ice cream
eek7.gif
The slow group got out ahead of us.

P8020145 (2).JPG

We took our time getting on the road but we still caught the other group.

P8020146 (2).JPG

We came to a long straight and blew by them. In the next stretch of curves we also caught up to a rider on a Triumph Tiger. I wonder what went through that guys mind when a bunch of scooters passed him
hmmm.gif

After we got back to the motel we found out that Mark on this Helix had crashed. He wasn't wearing a jacket and got some road rash on his elbows but other than that it seems no major damage to him or the scooter.

Some pics while hanging out at the motel.

P8020148.JPG

Tim trying on John's Xmax for size.

P8020149 (2).JPG

I had a bowl of home made soup in my room for dinner. I did that three of the nights there saving a lot on my food budget. Then I decided to head up to Waterrock knob to catch the sunset with a few others.

Don was also going on his Lifan KPV150. This is a new scooter and there isn't much info out there on it other than the spec sheet. By the spec sheet it is 20 pounds heavier than the ADV150 and has 2 less horsepower. Many people have speculated that it is a dog. After 2 days of riding Don was pretty happy with it. So how would it compare to the ADV150? I had an idea. Leaving Maggie Valley and heading up to the BRP is a long, roughly 2.5 mile steep grade. When i rode up the first night my ADV150 bogged down to as low as 38 MPH on the steepest parts. My Like 150 on the other hand would maintain at least 41 MPH. So how would this cheap Chinese clone with a 50 pound heavier rider do?

We stopped at the bottom of the hill, waited for traffic to clear. Side by side we twisted the throttles and held them wide open for about 2.5 miles.

I jumped out to an immediate 20-30 foot lead. That was my biggest lead. Don slowly caught up, passed and pulled away. By the top of the hill he was about 100 yards ahead
eek7.gif

Pretty good for a cheap chinese clone. When the word gets out Lifan will sell a boatload of these scooters.

However, Don refused to believe I didn't back off on the throttle. I told him he would believe me because the next day we would swap bikes and do it again. I was pretty sure that with me on the KPV150 I would smoke Don on my ADV.

Stay tuned for ADV vs KPV round two
boxe.gif

I did take one pic of the race.

P8020151 (2).JPG

When we got to Waterrock Knob we could see it would be a nice sunset. I took a bazillion pics. It will be hard to narrow it down to a reasonable number since almost all of them came out really good.

DSC04620 (2).JPG

I brought both of my cameras and used both of them. My Olympus shows the colors better but the Sony has a 50X zoom which is great for some pics like the next few I took of David.

DSC04622 (2).JPG

DSC04623 (2).JPG

DSC04625 (2).JPG

P8020156 (2).JPG

P8020161 (3).JPG

Mo pics. The setting may be the same but the view changes as the sun moves lower.

P8020165 (2).JPG

P8020173 (2).JPG

I like to have some bikes in my pics but for those who just prefer nature:

P8020192 (2).JPG

So there we were enjoying the view and the peace and quiet when two cruisers came riding up. Yeah they had loud pipes but that wasn't really the issue. One was blaring his stereo so loud you couldn't even hear the load pipes. I'm sure everyone there was thinking "those asshole bikers":dirtdog

I don't know if it was the Honda or the Harley.

P8020199 (2).JPG

Then we rode back to the motel and had another great evening of tire kicking before heading for bed.

Attachments

• P8020189 (2).JPG
    P8020189 (2).JPG
    811.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
klaviator , you and I were discussing scooters one time and you told me ."The girls love a Scooter Man."

Where were all the Girls? Did JVB have them all corralled at a photo op for Scooter Girls? :dirtdog:wings:clap:imaposer:happay
I guess I forgot to mention that the Swedish Bikini team was at this event!!!

However we had to promise to not post any pics of them.

Would I lie to you???

Wednesday, August 3rd.

The plan for this day was different. Instead of one route with a couple of different groups, this was the day for everyone to split into smaller groups and ride wherever they wanted. Larry would lead a group to the Heintooga overlook, road to nowhere and Bryson City. Steve would lead a small group of 3 through GSMNP, over the Foothills Parkway and back through the dragon. David would lead a small group over the skyway and back through the dragon. I would do the route we missed on Monday due to the rain.

I ended up with only 2 other riders which would end up working out well. Don and Tony would join me.

Since the route took us up 19 to the BRP, Don and I re did the drag race we did the night before but this time we swapped scooters. With me on the KPV150 I easily ran away from Don on my ADV150. We then rode a bit of the BRP before stopping and swapping back to our own bikes. My impression of the KPV. I liked it. The seating position was similar to the ADV. The dash seemed to be better laid out and more readable but I didn't spend much time looking at it. The handling and ride were similar although we both agreed the ADV felt a bit more planted in curves. I barely used the brakes so I have no comment on those.

We got a pic at the stop.

P8030002 (2).JPG

Then we rode the BRP to 74 and rode down 74. A top speed run down 74 found that the ADV has a couple more MPH of top speed hitting the rev limiter at 68 MPH.

We had to endure a few miles of four lane but soon found ourselves on one of my favorite back roads.

P8030004 (2).JPG

P8030005 (2).JPG

P8030006 (2).JPG

Then the twisty part of the road started. I only got one pic but it was blurry since I was approaching ludicrous speed:D

P8030007 (2).JPG

Don shot a video of this section of road.

The video ends at a place I pulled off because we were about to catch up to a cage and there is nothing worse than being on a fun, twisty road and stuck behind a slow moving cage. Passing was not an option on that road so I pulled off and waited a minute or two so we could ride at a fun pace. I took a couple of pics.

P8030008 (2).JPG

P8030009 (2).JPG

Then we had a few minutes of fun:ricky:ricky:ricky before catching the cage again. Another picture opportunity.

P8030010 (2).JPG

More fun riding and we were at our first planned stop for the day.

DSC04630 (2).JPG

There is a sand beach just beyond and below the fence. The Swedish Bikini team doing a photo shoot on the beach but they wouldn't let me take any pics:D

We moved to another spot for some pics.

P8030013 (2).JPG

P8030015 (2).JPG

Attachments

• P8030012 (2).JPG
    P8030012 (2).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Top Bottom Back Refresh