What's new

2022 Travel Thoughts

SnakeOiler

Member Number
Well I usually do post my thoughts, but since we need more content on this awesome new site here goes.

Getting a late start sorta due to family issues here back east. So hopefully get moving the 1st week of June. My main goal in a month or so in idaho checking out the beautiful mountains. But since I'm in Pennsylvania I'm thinking about stopping in the Upper peninsula of MI first for a week. Then been wanting to explore the SD badlands area and that part of Wyoming. I've heard so much about there and only explored around Sturgis on the Harley a few times. This time I'll be with my two gals ,17-501 and 22-te300i. Should be awesome for a week or two. Definitely want to be out of there before bike week too. Then idaho here I come. Hoping the snow will be done enough to get to the top of the world in those parts. Probably start in the northern part and slowly wander south through idaho into UT before heading back to my place in SW NM for the winter.

If anyone has must see places feel free to share your thoughts. I'll see if I can include some of them.

Peace and happy trails
IMG_20210824_112202695~2.jpg
IMG_20210902_171111343_HDR.jpg
20211019_095731.jpg

Black Hills NF has one of the largest dirt road networks. Laat time I was there, several yrs back, the forest rds were rated by the level of maintenance they received. Was cool to see crazy horse monument from the forest.

Custer state park is nice, easy access to black hills or badlands.

Black Hills NF has one of the largest dirt road networks. Laat time I was there, several yrs back, the forest rds were rated by the level of maintenance they received. Was cool to see crazy horse monument from the forest.

Custer state park is nice, easy access to black hills or badlands.

Yeah I've heard the same and figure the 501 will see a lot of duty there.

There is also a fair amount of singletrack in the Western South Dakota area. I have never ridden it but it is on the list to visit some day.

There is also a fair amount of singletrack in the Western South Dakota area. I have never ridden it but it is on the list to visit some day.

I thought you were along with Timmy (Hightest) when that group rode that area a few years ago?

I remember him telling me how surprised he was on the riding there in SD

I thought you were along with Timmy (Hightest) when that group rode that area a few years ago?

I remember him telling me how surprised he was on the riding there in SD

I was not on that trip, the only riding I have done in SD is on the BMW 1200. We stuck to more well maintained dirt roads and asphalt.

The only ride I have done with Tim was the Kentucky loop.

I've been wanting to make it down to Alabama for a few years. I got down to the Asheville area in late spring back in ... 2019 I think, and farther south was a bit daunting (due to the distance down and ride back up to NYC, but also weather - an early hurricane made for cold, wet weather). I'm toying with the idea again ... maybe June?

On the other hand, I've only been to the very southern edge of Canada and I've never seen the Upper Peninsula, so ...

I may flake out and do shorter rides nearby - we'll see.

Last edited:
Heading back to Colorado to finally make the loop I've been wanting to make the last few years with with my two sons. Riding and camping with no itinerary, just a general idea of where we want to go.

Well I usually do post my thoughts, but since we need more content on this awesome new site here goes.

Getting a late start sorta due to family issues here back east. So hopefully get moving the 1st week of June. My main goal in a month or so in idaho checking out the beautiful mountains. But since I'm in Pennsylvania I'm thinking about stopping in the Upper peninsula of MI first for a week. Then been wanting to explore the SD badlands area and that part of Wyoming. I've heard so much about there and only explored around Sturgis on the Harley a few times. This time I'll be with my two gals ,17-501 and 22-te300i. Should be awesome for a week or two. Definitely want to be out of there before bike week too. Then idaho here I come. Hoping the snow will be done enough to get to the top of the world in those parts. Probably start in the northern part and slowly wander south through idaho into UT before heading back to my place in SW NM for the winter.

If anyone has must see places feel free to share your thoughts. I'll see if I can include some of them.

Peace and happy trails
IMG_20210824_112202695~2.jpg
IMG_20210902_171111343_HDR.jpg
20211019_095731.jpg

If you're passing through SE Michigan and have some time let me know!

If you're passing through SE Michigan and have some time let me know!

Thanks you talking the Ann Arbor area? I passed through there last summer and the construction was some of the worst I had. Lol

20220626_124605.jpg
20220629_102259.jpg
20220701_112917.jpg
20220704_093720.jpg

Then the next stop was the Bighorn national forest in Wyoming

Any updates? :ricky
Well I guess I'll take time now that I'm waiting for parts. At least a little teaser if nothing else.

Started off my travels with the first stop (as recommended ) with three weeks in the Black Hills. Unreal how many trails there are there. Most of there are double track but still a blast.
20220622_111946.jpg
20220623_140033.jpg
20220623_142436.jpg

Attachments

• 20220705_063510.jpg
    20220705_063510.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220704_151944.jpg
    20220704_151944.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220704_101538.jpg
    20220704_101538.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Lots of great riding and camping in the Idaho Panhandle if you are going to be in that part of Idaho. I can't tell you much about southern Idaho, we've only ever driven through it on our way to other places. But the Panhandle is really nice. Lots of riding, everything from mild to wild and plenty of beautiful scenery.

We'll be there in a few weeks. We usually boondock, but this trip we're going with family and will be glamping, staying at a campground that has full hookups near Lake Pend Oreille (Gold Creek Lodge).

So
Lots of great riding and camping in the Idaho Panhandle if you are going to be in that part of Idaho. I can't tell you much about southern Idaho, we've only ever driven through it on our way to other places. But the Panhandle is really nice. Lots of riding, everything from mild to wild and plenty of beautiful scenery.

We'll be there in a few weeks. We usually boondock, but this trip we're going with family and will be glamping, staying at a campground that has full hookups near Lake Pend Oreille (Gold Creek Lodge).

Sorry for the late reply. Just haven't had service, or good service in weeks. I did finally manage to get to Idaho. But only after a week in the SW corner I broke my left ankle on this past Monday (8/15/22). At present traveling back home for surgery on at least one of the breaks, possibly both. Depending on how my surgeon sees fit. I'll try to write up more about my summer travels here in the near future after I get more pressing matters taken care of. Thanks for your response tho.

Back
Top Bottom