What's new

4rth annual "Beat the Heat" scooter rally, Maggie Valley 7/31 - 8/5

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
This rally will be in Maggie Valley , NC.
Dates are July 31 through Aug 5 2022
This is a scooter rally but all bikes are welcome.
There is no rally fee.
The base motel is the AHoliday motel. The number is 828-926-1186. There is no group discount but the room rates are between $79 and $109 depending on the type of room. The cancellation policy will be 2 weeks because we are a group.

There is plenty of parking for trucks and trailers.

Camping and RV parks are nearby.

More information is here: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2022-beat-the-heat-scooter-rally-information-thread.1559877/

What is this rally all about?

No explanation needed for those who have attended one of the previous events. Back in 2019 I decided to set up a few days of scooter riding in Maggie Valley, NC. I called it the "Maggie Valley Beat the Heat Scooter Ride".

Why "Beat the Heat". In July and August much of the country and certainly the South East is sweltering in heat and humidity. Not so in Maggie Valley. I got the idea for this ride when checking weather forecast for various locations and I noticed that Maggie Valley had forecast temps in the 70s and low 80s when most other places were in the 90s.

Besides the Cool temps I knew from experience that there was some fantastic riding around Maggie Valley.

It was organized on fairly short notice but we still had 10 people show up. I had a fantastic time and it was great meeting and riding with some of the fine folks on this forum. My ride report from that event is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-118#post-38254195

I decided then that this should be an annual event so I started organizing the 2020 event much earlier. Despite the Covid Pandemic we had around 30 people show up in 2020. My ride report form 2020 is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-173#post-40608466

The third event was in 2021. I changed the name from "Scooter Ride" to "Scooter gathering". I think we had around 30 people again. My ride report for 2021 is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-252#post-42825812

Last edited:
I'd like to stress that this Rally is open to all kinds of bikes. The riding in this area is particularly great for mini motos like Groms, Super Cubs, TnT135's etc. The roads we ride are super twisty and are perfect for smaller bikes. Our rides are often like sport bike rides except the top speeds are lower and the roads twistier than what most sportbike riders prefer.

Just beware that the attendees carry the scooter virus. If you come you may be infected and get a strong urge to buy a scooter.

A few pics from past years:

P8030054-XL.jpg

P8040102-XL.jpg

P8040126-XL.jpg

P8040135-XL.jpg

P8040160-XL.jpg

This rally is now less than a month away. It looks like we will have over 30 people attending this year. While most will be on scooters we do have a few coming on motorcycles. As hot as it is in Alabama this time of year I am looking forward to the much cooler temperatures of Maggie Valley as well as seeing old friends, meeting new ones and of course the fantastic roads in the area:happay

We're riding Ohio's Windy 7 the week before and are planning on extending our vacation and heading over to join your group in Maggie Valley.

I'll (Sonuvabug) be on my '09 Silver Wing and she'll (SkootKat) be on her '16 Burgman 400.

We're riding Ohio's Windy 7 the week before and are planning on extending our vacation and heading over to join your group in Maggie Valley.

I'll (Sonuvabug) be on my '09 Silver Wing and she'll (SkootKat) be on her '16 Burgman 400.
Great! Looking forward to seeing you there. We are looking at over 30 attendees and I think you will find they are a great group of people.

Have fun in Ohio, there are some great roads in Ohio.

I am so looking forward to getting out of the heat. The forecast for the week we will be there calls for HIGH temperatures ranging from 73 to 78 degrees!! Low temperatures every night around 60!

Can't wait to see you guys in a few days!:ricky
Looking forward to meeting you. Did you get a room at the Aholiday?

Our Thursday ride starts off heading in the direction you want to go. You are invited to ride with us for as far as you want. We will be riding the North on the BRP and then some really twisty roads off the parkway.

Wednesday is a free for all day so you may see a few of the group at Deal's Gap.

I'll be reserving it tonight, it looks like there are still a few left.

and perfect, its going to be a semi lazy day for us Thursday so we will probably ride with you guys till you split off. Are you guys starting on that first little jog south headed into Ashville?

depending on when we get in to the deals gap area I might be making it few passes while the GF takes pics, I'll let her know to take any of all the scooters to:thumb

I'll be reserving it tonight, it looks like there are still a few left.

and perfect, its going to be a semi lazy day for us Thursday so we will probably ride with you guys till you split off. Are you guys starting on that first little jog south headed into Ashville?

depending on when we get in to the deals gap area I might be making it few passes while the GF takes pics, I'll let her know to take any of all the scooters to:thumb
We will head towards Asheville on the Parkway but won't quite make it to Asheville. Our planned route is here: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/...lly-information-thread.1559877/#post-44666825

I think you will find the roads on that route as good if not better than the dragon. They will certainly have much less traffic. Our Monday and tuesday routes have roads twistier than the dragon.

When you reserve the room don't tell them you are part of the group. There is a different cancellation policy for groups.

Ok It looks like that is going to keep us a little too faR south for too much of the day, those roads do look good though! We are probably going to head more directly to Ashville and then start the BRP headed north from there. I have a feeling mileage is going to become important for the passenger by then :lol3

Ok It looks like that is going to keep us a little too faR south for too much of the day, those roads do look good though! We are probably going to head more directly to Ashville and then start the BRP headed north from there. I have a feeling mileage is going to become important for the passenger by then :lol3
I'd get on the BRP straight from Maggie Valley and continue from there. If you get on at Asheville you will miss some of the best parts of the Parkway including the highest point.

If the GF is up for it we will! Its making me want to take a solo trip now just to spend all week riding everything :lol3
Been there, done that. When my wife rides with me I have to scale the mileage way back from a solo ride. Why don't you just wait and see how she does on the trip and then adjust accordingly.

Yeah thats why I've kept the plans pretty loose for this trip, worse comes to worse she knows I have no problem with just grabbing a rental if things go south or she just isnt feeling it, but she does pretty well. Our first trip was 8ish hours over mt Cleghorn to go camping out in Big Bear. The ninja 650 rearshock on the Versys bottomed out everytime we even looked at a rock funny:lol3

We'll be riding out of Maggie valley for four days and that's not near enough time to ride all the good stuff within a days ride of there.

Back
Top Bottom