What's new

5-Hour Energy Shots

I was given a bottle of it and carried it in a side case for years thinking that I might use it in a pinch, but never did. I did take a sip of it before tossing it. Meh. The problem I see with a concentrated caffeinated drink is that 1) it's a diuretic so I'll have to find a bathroom in short order. 2) it will dehydrate me unless I drink water. Thus, see 1). Honestly, I found that a banana will keep me going.
That's what she said

If you think you need "energy shots", your diet is wrong and/or you have been duped by commercials.
Proper diet, that stops insulin overload and makes sure your body is burning proper fuel, gives you loads of energy and concentration through tough exercises,,, and keeps your weight close to ideal, for healthy life.

I've done a few ironbutt and dusty butt type rides. Mostly it has been long flights, say Hong Kong to London or Vancouver to Sydney and at the end of a flight that long the crew needs to be at their best to get everyone down safely.

This^^^^ I think. I am a health and fitness nut and manage to stay alert for 24 hours when I need to. Worst case I might need a 10-15 minute nap or get up and walk around for a few minutes. Too much caffeine will give me a headache. Most days I have none.

I understand how caffeine interacts with the body to help you feel less tired, and what causes the crash if you go to far with it. "They" haven't been able to understand what's good for us and what isn't due as long as I can remember. I don't think there's really any serious health benefits to avoiding it.

They used to demonize eggs and butter because cholesterol." They're gonna kill you with a heart attack! Eat this margarine on your wheat bread instead." Then they decided that margarine is damn near an industrial lubricant that shrinks your nuts. " Yeah, maybe stay away from the margarine and make sure you buy organic "

There's many more examples of Them backpedaling. "Save the trees! Stop paper bags. Use plastic."<- That's been an explicit 180° turn. Or , my personal favorite: "Aids is only spread by gays and blacks" . Hmm....I'm pretty sure diseases don't care about such things.

Experts are drips. Just don't consume too much and get plenty of exercise.

Heart disease and obesity is still a massive problem that costs insurance (customers) billions every year. The experts might have been on to something. :dunno

Reactions: MVI
Stress leads to bad diets. And caffeine abuse. Poor working and living conditions leads to stress. Riding a bicycle on US rds is very stressfull. Walking in parks with unleashed agressive dogs is stressfull. Designed to fail. Less stress is being half suicidal in the land of crazies. Ha...quite envious of countries where home tooth extraction isnt a big video hit. Up north the bicyclist I knew were hit by cars multiple times. I am an expert on caffiene use! The original sobe was kick ass. And discontinued...some times there is complete tranquility in chaos. But everything has a cost. Staying at home out of the line of fire is why the retired generation lives so long. And why gen x dies so fast. Drink up on caffeine and love life. Jeez...48-55 hrs of no sleep gets er done. Nothing like torching next to a plastic gas tank. That is adrenaline for nothing but pride...Definitely not money. Just like riding I95, I85, I26 or I40 yee ha.

Last edited:
Don't forget Diabetes. Basically all three can be more than cut in half with proper diets and exercise.
While this is certainly true, the experts don't all agree on what is a proper diet. To add to the confusion there are so many companies out there out to make a buck trying to convince people that their diet is the best. One of the big diet plans out there is Nutrisystem. They are advertising all the time. My wife decided to give it a try. It's all processed food and she couldn't eat half of it because it triggered migranes. Can you lose weight with their food? Sure you could but there is no way it is healthy.

Then there is the fact that people are different. What works for one person won't always work for another. Caffeine is a classic example. I'm sure 5-hour energy works fine for some people and not for others. The only way to see how it will work for you is to try it. I personally have never considered trying it. I just don't see the need for it for me.

Fasting is kinda of a natural high. Hydration, minerals and alkalinity....but jeez. My biggest worry was hypothermia. That almost got the best of me over everything. And because the temps were upper 30s to 50s...I never had an indactor as numb limbs. So the north I had frost bite at -10° F but never lost my mind like riding all night in the south. Now I understand core temp. What saved me was a program I watched on hypothermia. I also wakeboarded all year long in SC. Answer was a hotel room with the heat turned up to 90° I almost made it to day break but the temp dropped. I just wanted to curl up on.the side of I95 and go to sleep. That was worse experience. After the north...warm coffee or tea with a little sugar might have helped. But a fairing like my klr vs all night on a sumo would have been better. I stopped at every truck stop and used the hand dryer to reheat myself but a cold coke at a cold waffle house did me in. 20 mins of 90° heat and I knew where I was. I would highly recommend against caffeine use. But there might be an advantage in the right situation. Tea is a universal feel good that is world wide. Sugar in heat vs cold could be a topic.

While this is certainly true, the experts don't all agree on what is a proper diet. To add to the confusion there are so many companies out there out to make a buck trying to convince people that their diet is the best. One of the big diet plans out there is Nutrisystem. They are advertising all the time. My wife decided to give it a try. It's all processed food and she couldn't eat half of it because it triggered migranes. Can you lose weight with their food? Sure you could but there is no way it is healthy.

Then there is the fact that people are different. What works for one person won't always work for another. Caffeine is a classic example. I'm sure 5-hour energy works fine for some people and not for others. The only way to see how it will work for you is to try it. I personally have never considered trying it. I just don't see the need for it for me.
Exactly, it's always changing.
Currently it seems that for a healthy diet you should try to avoid processed foods, limit sweets or sweeteners, and have at least 12 hour period of fasting per day. Keep insulin levels under control. Insulin works the same on all people.
At least some exercise is required for those with sedate lifestyle.

People who regularly use coffee build up immunity.

Personally I never would have believed how much change happened to my body when I went on sugar free diet for just one month. I also had a very successful One Meal A Day month. In both cases I lost few kilos and was brimming with energy.
But I'm lasy and I like to eat. So do as I say, not as I do. :-)

Currently it seems that for a healthy diet you should try to avoid processed foods, limit sweets or sweeteners, and have at least 12 hour period of fasting per day. Keep insulin levels under control. Insulin works the same on all people.

Personally I never would have believed how much change happened to my body when I went on sugar free diet for just one month. I also had a very successful One Meal A Day month. In both cases I lost few kilos and was brimming with energy.
Sugar and caffeine are a tolerance issue. But cinnamon and sodium bicarbonate can counter act. Every gen x friend that lives life fast has a premix of sodium bicarbonate at all times. And none are on meds. Ha we cant afford meds and bikes

Last edited:

Diets?

Get back to basics. A lot of uncooked vegetables, a little meat, a tiny amount of everything else especially if it is white. It is not difficult and certainly not something people should have to pay for. That is insanity!

And exercise. I do two of run, swim, gym, cycle every day... It works for me and about a hundred other people I know.

I've used them sometimes on long trips but as a last resort as stopping for a rest works too and is preferable. Doing 5 mins of star jumps or push ups by the side of my bike works for me as it gets the blood flowing and breaks the cycle. Hot weather can be a problem as it can make me tire more quickly but I'll get up early and get going to avoid the heat of the day if I can then take a longer lunch break where there's AC.

These days there seems to be a constant quest for 'one size fits all' solutions when we're all different. Caffeine will work for some people but not for others. You need to understand your own body, metabolism, etc. This applies to diet, supplements, caffeine and pretty much all aspects of our lifestyles.

Someone finds a diet plan that works for them and decides it's going to work for everyone. They market the plan as the next best thing and try to get rich off it. Probably so they can retire and get fat! People who are struggling to lose weight spend hard earned money on that diet plan only to find out that it just doesn't work for them.

If we were living in a 'one size fits all' world we'd all be riding the same motorcycle, while using the exact same tires and oil. lol.

Many times I need to pick my daughter up at college (about 1.5 hour trip) after working a full day. My experience has been that if I drink a 5 hour energy my alertness is heightened, and I stop yawning. No lasting long term effects, doesn't keep me up. I have not noticed needing to pee more often either. In other words, they work for me, but as always, YMMV.

In college, we referred to 5HE's as naps.

As in, man I'm tired. I'd better go take a nap. Between late nights at the bars and long hours studying to get my undergraduate in mechanical engineering, I took a lot of "naps". That's been longer ago than I care to admit, and no long term effects so far.

Top Bottom Back Refresh