What's new

5-Hour Energy Shots

motocopter

Member Number
Just a thought for you guys.

My first try of 5-Hour Energy was during a 1,000-In-24 riding event based out of Fay Meyers in the Greenville Village, CO. (https://www.cofreewheelers.org/1000-in-24.html)

I was about five or six hours into the event before I broke out one of the two packs. First time trying this stuff and was cautious. Drank half at a gas stop in Durango and the last at the next stop around Grand Junction. No problem. I rode 1,160 miles for the route and back to the house in Fremont County in 22 hours and a half hours.

Not sure I've had a need for such an energy drink since, but it's an option during planning.

Check out this review. (I have no official connection with the product or the article)

Just sharing and would like to hear your experience with the 5-Hour Energy shot.

What did your heart rate feel like?? I used to drink some energy drinks but never the more concentrated stuff like 5 hour energy.... :lurk

That's good to know. You alway wonder what that stuff does.
Although I must say that I do make strong coffee in the AM, as in espresso style with my Aeropress...

I tried 5 Hour Energy a few years back, and more than a few times to make sure my reaction was legit. That would be no reaction - zero. I never felt any boost, or elevated awareness, or anything... did not feel any different in any way. I suppose YMMV but since I felt no benefit from them, I stopped spending the somewhat pricey money for them. Truth is, I've also tried a couple of energy drinks as well (Monster and one other I can't recall the name of) and didn't feel much from them either, but I have always had a fairly fast metabolism too. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Helped a little to keep me awake for civil trials or long sentencings. Or maybe because it made me have to p.

I tried one once. The taste was better than expected. I didn't feel any extra energy or awareness, but I felt like my skin (everywhere) became instantly hot, especially around my face. Never again.

I only drink water and a little tea, so not a hardcore caffeine guy.

I tried one once. The taste was better than expected. I didn't feel any extra energy or awareness, but I felt like my skin (everywhere) became instantly hot, especially around my face. Never again.

I only drink water and a little tea, so not a hardcore caffeine guy.
You should try speed. We used it on night stock back in the day. Took a black beauty was up for 3 days. First two were fun, the third I was exhausted and couldn't. sleep never again. The things you do at 21. Makes your head feel like you have ants crawling on you

I drive a lot for work and although I drink coffee, sometimes drowsiness sets in. Pulling over for a ten minute nap when you need it won't ruin your ride and could save your life.

Finding a spot to nap while out on your bike isn't so easy. Does anyone have any ideas?

You should try speed. We used it on night stock back in the day. Took a black beauty was up for 3 days. First two were fun, the third I was exhausted and couldn't. sleep never again. The things you do at 21. Makes your head feel like you have ants crawling on you
Thanks, but I'll pass 😁

I have never tried 5 hour energy or even considered it. I screwed myself up with caffeine when I was much younger and stayed away from that for a long time. Now I only drink caffeine occasionally.

I was given a bottle of it and carried it in a side case for years thinking that I might use it in a pinch, but never did. I did take a sip of it before tossing it. Meh. The problem I see with a concentrated caffeinated drink is that 1) it's a diuretic so I'll have to find a bathroom in short order. 2) it will dehydrate me unless I drink water. Thus, see 1). Honestly, I found that a banana will keep me going.

I was given a bottle of it and carried it in a side case for years thinking that I might use it in a pinch, but never did. I did take a sip of it before tossing it. Meh. The problem I see with a concentrated caffeinated drink is that 1) it's a diuretic so I'll have to find a bathroom in short order. 2) it will dehydrate me unless I drink water. Thus, see 1). Honestly, I found that a banana will keep me going.
"Most research suggests that the fluid in caffeinated drinks balances the diuretic effect of typical caffeine levels". Nearly all liquid has some diuretic effect, but the body of a healthy person should be capable of keeping hydration steady as long as intake is in moderation.

"Most research suggests that the fluid in caffeinated drinks balances the diuretic effect of typical caffeine levels". Nearly all liquid has some diuretic effect, but the body of a healthy person should be capable of keeping hydration steady as long as intake is in moderation.
Interesting. The article may have been contemplating drinks such as coffee and cans of Monster, etc that contains 10-12 ounces of water, not the small bottles of 5 Hour Energy, but it's hard to tell since it doesn't cite the studies it references. For me though, caffeine combined with a misbehaving prostate and the natural dehydrating effects of motorcycling always leads to frequent pit stops.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom