What's new

640 ADVENTURE REBUILD

xr-nut

ADV+
Member Number
So, I bought another bike. The war department is very happy about this. :lol3

This 2000 KTM 640 Adventure was bought off a fellow out west from the other place. I have owned it for roughly 6 months, waiting on a friend of a friend of a friend kind of deal to get it here in BFK. Well that plan almost fell through as the fellow who was going to race the AHRMA event in Topeka broke his shoulder and wouldnt be coming out here. He had a buddy of his, an old racer, haul it here in his van. After a lengthy chat with Heartland park officials I was allowed past the first gate, but not the second gate to meet this old racer and make the exchange. Once at the second gate, I meet another old racer who turned out to be the race director for the event and he knew the old racer who had my bike back somewhere deep behind gate #2! After chatting about the 300 husky on the rear of my toyhauler and the race we were heading to, the Florence Grand Prix, he volunteered to help. So off he goes into the abyss of gate 2 to find the old racer and my bike. About ten minutes goes by and I see it rolling down under the tunnel coming out of the race pits with two "new to this deal" old guy racers pushing it. :lol3 I ran down to help them get it up the hill and thank them for their help. Not one of them was the old racer from cali who had hauled it out here.(?)

I was told by the po that it was running down the highway and started leaking coolant. Instead of shutting it off, it got hot and seized the engine. So I am hoping for best case scenario, replace the top end. We will see. It is a little rougher than I had envisioned, but that is ok, Im still happy to have it. I have wanted one of these for awhile and hopefully won't have a small countrys gdp in it when its all said and done...........:rofl

Here it is with the rest of my fleet(well most of it).

20220619_180709.jpg

Mods if this is in the wrong sub, move it please and thanks :beer

Well, on the lift and here we gooooooooooo.....................

20220619_181756.jpg
20220619_181805.jpg

After a quick assessment I have a list to start on:

Engine(why is it not running:fpalm)
Seat
Handguards
Tires (front is good, I may leave it for now)
Chain/sprockets
Headlight
Grips
Mirrors
Rear master hose
Carb
Crankcase vent "t" and hose
plastics(refinish or replace)

A quick poke around fleabay found a few items, I left them there in the found folder until I know more about its engine.

Looks pretty good, you need a new Renazco seat on that thing. I have the same rally boxes on mine. I dig your split screen too. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with it.

You might get it looking this good.:lol3
IMG_5309-XL.jpg

Looks pretty good, you need a new Renazco seat on that thing. I have the same rally boxes on mine. I dig your split screen too. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with it.

You might get it looking this good.:lol3
IMG_5309-XL.jpg
I do need a renazco, look at my 990 in the pic above. I may just give sonia a call and get this one sent in. :rofl

Last edited:
Guilty PO checking in, ready to take the lashing as this one goes under the wrenches
Hey john! :clap Welcome to the new place! Ski is encouraging a renazco build for the seat, think the hundo will cover it...........:rofl

Hey john! :clap Welcome to the new place! Ski is encouraging a renazco build for the seat, think the hundo will cover it...........:rofl
Nice!

I did a look at the route of the last ride I'd taken on that bike.
It was inside 300 meters from when I saw liquid on my visor to when I'd shut off.
It's a narrow two lane high desert highway with no shoulder and ditches on both sides - I got on the first flat spot of dirt I could get to.

Seeing that line to the fuel pump, it could definitely have been a lean condition contributing to the last gasp.

I've melted a couple of rear fenders.
I had a fire aboard this bike one morning, up on the mountain on the way to a job site near Lake Tahoe - in the snow

I had a load on the fender rack, which somehow had shifted and ended up against the pipe

I lost my favorite pair of kangaroo skin gloves along with some other things

The fender didn't end up being involved with the mess

Back
Top Bottom