What's new

'73 Honda CL450 restomod

oldschool

Member Number
Though at times it was a long and occasionally painful build (as well as stupid expensive), it was the culmination of a few decades of an idea rattling around in my head after being forced (by life's turns) to sell my very fast and successful 450 drag bike at age 21 for one month's rent (a measly $125) after being out of work a total of 6 months in the year 1975.
OES7Zqa.jpg

OBth1o8.jpg

That gnawed at me until I was finally financially able and properly positioned in a new place with a nice detached garage to make it happen in late 2016. It started out like this as purchased
4epINeg.jpg

and to save you the mass amount of pictures along the way, here is a synopsis

450assembly.gif

and the finished product, with me at the Barber Vintage Festival in 2018
RXUzyE5.jpg

Though at times it was a long and occasionally painful build (as well as stupid expensive), it was the culmination of a few decades of an idea rattling around in my head after being forced (by life's turns) to sell my very fast and successful 450 drag bike at age 21 for one month's rent (a measly $125) after being out of work a total of 6 months in the year 1975.
OES7Zqa.jpg
Now that's proper old school cool :bmwrider

I don't know much about drag racing. What's the deal with the front rim in that picture?

Now that's proper old school cool :bmwrider

I don't know much about drag racing. What's the deal with the front rim in that picture?
Nothing exotic, it's just duct tape across the spokes to help a spoked wheel break the light beam at the far end of the track. Back then sometimes spoked wheels with small tires didn't break the beam and if that happened, you got no elapsed time or speed for the run.

Wow I used to hang out at a bike shop in Palm Harbor, 73,74 we’d go out to twin city for bracket racing, night time was the best, then blast across 586 wfo to the Sambos for late night breakfast.
I understand that Oldsmar and the surrounding area is built up to unrecognizable nowadays
that 450 looks great

Wow I used to hang out at a bike shop in Palm Harbor, 73,74 we’d go out to twin city for bracket racing, night time was the best, then blast across 586 wfo to the Sambos for late night breakfast.
I understand that Oldsmar and the surrounding area is built up to unrecognizable nowadays
that 450 looks great
Thanks for the kind words on my bike. Yes, that area around the track is now developed and the track property has been a sports complex for a few decades. Back when I was going to Twin City, the end of Mobley Rd wasn't fully paved through to Race Track Rd (named for Tampa Bay Downs horse track, not the drag strip LOL) but guys used to ride across the short dirt section to get to Race Track if they lived in Pinellas. I used to drive to the track from Brandon, about 35 miles or so through tons of traffic. By the time I lived closer to the track it was closed... loved bracket racing there, lots of fun and often easy money

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh