What's new

Additives

Ausfahrt

Member Number
I'm not an advocate of solving a major engine problem by pouring in a bottle of magic. But if the engine is fundamentally sound, I have had decent results from Blue Devil products.

I'm in no way affiliated with them but I've had weeping head gaskets and even worse at least temporarily cured by this product. So I am just throwing this out there for discussion and feel free to flame away if you disagree.

1657824882922.png

Last edited:
Does it work for only Liter and sub-Liter size motors, or a 5.7L V-8 too ?

Does it work for only Liter and sub-Liter size motors, or a 5.7L V-8 too ?
OK. I need to back up just a bit since I posted the wrong pic.

The head gasket sealer from Blue Devil may or may not be a fine product but I meant to refer to the rear main oil additive sealer. The rear main seal conditioner is added to the oil and I have successfully eliminated or greatly reduced oil weapage from head gaskets with this product.
1657840189290.png

The head gasket sealer picture that I posted in the OP is added to the cooling system and I don't have any experience with that.

Sorry about the confusion. Brain fart.

Reactions: MVI
I am always skeptical of any magic potions or home remedies to cure car and bike ills, but i will admit to utilizing such witchcraft on occasion and moreover on more than one case these additives have proved themselves worth the cost or effort.
So here are a few cases of me using additives (Or
home remedies) to good effect over the years.
1975 i was 17 just passed my bike test and although i had a few bikes i was buying and selling trading up to greater things, and needed one to run daily to keep getting to work etc.
Bikes were scarce at that time and, nothing about localy my triumph 3TA was in bits frame off build and i sold a suzuki T350J on thursday night and took a 1972 Honda CD175 in PX for the suzuki sight unseen to be dropped off friday wile i was at work.
My Dad drove me into work with the parting shot at the gates at 6AM " Get your self a car or bike sorted out i am not doing this, do you understand." ?
I scrounged a lift home with a chap from work, and rushed in the house asking my grandfather if a bike had been dropped off. It had. Great.
Well not so great Looked good bright red and chrome tank panels good chrome paintwork clean etc. Key in Ign lights on choke kick and it struck up. quiet went in to gear clutch fine ... But Smoke. ... Wow! i mean smoke blue haze and give it beans it probably smoked as much as the T 350j did and that was a two stroke.:grim

Well I was in trouble needed that bike, i ran it and it got no better. oil change breather etc ... no still smoking.
Local garage used to have the old redex dispenser pump stood next to the pump, free to customers put a squirt in the fuel etc.
I was going out with the Lass who worked there at that time and i got a couple of pints of redex and threw it through an oil can straight down the carb . It was barely running wide open throttle puvering smoke out just kept feeding it in so it would just about keep running t was struggling to breath at the finnish but eventuly i ran out of redex and i jumped on and rode off up the lane with a huge smoke trail. :lol2
It cleared and to my utter amasement stopped using oil from that moment on. Must have freed off some stuck rings or other at a guess, ran it 6 months perfect sold it no come backs. .
Redex
1657865938306.png

Fast forward to 1990s I bought a daihatsu fourtrak / rocky 2.8 turbo diesel. was filthy dirty i pressure washed the car and the radiator was made up with hard limestone mud. i had to spray it a wile , and sure enough the jet must have found a weak rusty sector of the rads core.
Green coolant running out like a tap, quick!
Half a dozen egg whites latter and the leak stopped and that car went on to cover 50K miles over the next 6 years and never used or leaked a drop of water.
EGG White. ( Home remedy. )
1657866172924.png

fast forward to just last month, and my daily driver vauxhall astra 1.7 cdti, had been on motorway several hours from Lincoln , got off A1 near richmond N yorkshire. cr at idle went lumpy running and knocking like crazy. I cleared the roundabout and could see nothing obvious,
Oil ok etc, so i guessed a stuck injector or rail pressure issue. Though maybe a new injector loom or possible injector swap might cure it no code reader, so got picked up and dropped back at the farm with the Rac AND DECIDED TO TRY SOME WYNS DIESEL INJECTOR CLEANER.
Just poured it in the tank and started car ticking over and throttling it just enough to stop it stuttering and knocking. Literaly within 10 mins it was ticking over super smooth.
it worked great . Just changed the oil in case of any diesel wash ingress and repeat the aditive in the tank next two fill ups, here we are 4k miles latter running perfect.
Additive can in some case work well.
Wynns diesel injector cleaner.

1657866622255.png

Attachments

• 1657866488140.png
    1657866488140.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My neighbor uses Marvel Mystery Oil instead of 2 cycle oil in his chainsaw and weedwhacker.
Does not even measure it, just adds "some" to the gas.
Always having engine problems, but insists they are not oil related.

My neighbor uses Marvel Mystery Oil instead of 2 cycle oil in his chainsaw and weedwhacker.
:fpalm

I find that Seafoam is a great additive to fuel and engine oil to clean things out a bit. It works really well with two stroke outboards as well. As usual YMMV

OK. I need to back up just a bit since I posted the wrong pic.

The head gasket sealer from Blue Devil may or may not be a fine product but I meant to refer to the rear main oil additive sealer. The rear main seal conditioner is added to the oil and I have successfully eliminated or greatly reduced oil weapage from head gaskets with this product.
1657840189290.png

The head gasket sealer picture that I posted in the OP is added to the cooling system and I don't have any experience with that.

Sorry about the confusion. Brain fart.
An old guy I used to race with told me one time that ATF was good for rubber, so use a bit in your engine to keep seals happy. I successfully put about a half a pint in a small block once and the rear main did infact stop dripping. I really didn't want to pull the heavy cast iron truck gearbox and transfer case, but I also didn't want to ruin my clutch. I kept using a bit in the oil over the next couple years before I sold the truck and the drip never returned.

The fella that told me this would use half a quart of atf in lieu of oil. Not sure I'd want to do that, but he'd been successfully doing it for decades.

Something to think about anyway.

Last edited:
One of my friend's grandfather swore up and down that two stroke mix was a gimmick and all you needed was regular motor oil. That's all he used. No idea what his mixing amounts were, but he was a logger by trade and probably put more miles on chainsaws then we do our bikes.

Kinda hard to argue with. I've got a bottle of Klotz sitting here and think about that old man every time I complain about the price 😁

One of my friend's grandfather swore up and down that two stroke mix was a gimmick and all you needed was regular motor oil. That's all he used. No idea what his mixing amounts were, but he was a logger by trade and probably put more miles on chainsaws then we do our bikes.

Kinda hard to argue with. I've got a bottle of Klotz sitting here and think about that old man every time I complain about the price 😁
I have run klotz and motor oil. Klotz is superior but push the jetting and rpms and it will equal ring snag no matter what.

I know it's a vintage thing (jeez, me and vintage? nah, really?) but I add a little ZDDP to my oil each change, in large part because the DOHC 450 engine has marginal oiling to the cams and followers and it can use all the friction reduction/anti-wear it can get. I also use a little Lucas Oil Stabilizer (somewhat STP-ish) as assembly lube mixed with motor oil, typically Rotella T4. And it isn't really an additive per se, but I've used PJ-1 black label chain lube for decades and I like to use it on car battery terminals and bike cable barrel ends as well (along with car/truck door hinges and detents too, lube them up once with it and you won't have to touch them again for a year or two, maybe longer.

I have run klotz and motor oil. Klotz is superior but push the jetting and rpms and it will equal ring snag no matter what.
A couple summers ago gas was 2 bucks a gallon. My four gallon jug would hold $8 worth of gas. At 50:1 it required about $6 worth of Klotz to treat $8 worth of gas 😒

Things the two stroke fanbois don't tell you when they're talking smack about thumpers!

Back
Top Bottom