What's new

Adv bike on a hitch carrier?

Possum

Member Number
Anybody load their adv bike on a hitch carrier?? Got a Ktm 1290 and looking into options other than loading on a trailer. I have seen carriers that are rated for the weight concern I am having is loading and unloading by myself. Any thoughts? Am I going to drop it on myself and die?

I haul my CRF450L on a hitch carrier using a Toyota Tacoma. It works great but the bike only weighs 300 lbs plus the 100 lbs for the carrier. That puts it close to the 550 lb tongue weight capacity of the truck

So besides working out a technique that allows you to load the bike safely, you also have to consider the tongue weight capacity of the vehicle..

Personally I would be reluctant to haul a bike that big on a traditional type hitch carrier unless it had some type of lift assist.

Keep in mind the high torque load you’re putting on the receiver. Since the center of a moto carrier is >2’ aft of the receiver, then you’re putting much more torque load than if you had a normal 9” hitch stinger. So, it’s more overall force on the receiver than an equivalent tongue weight. Add in the bouncing tendency that a trailer would have a hard time replicating, and…. It’s just more force than the same trailer tongue weight.

So, I’d be hesitant to go as high as the published tongue weight rating for the truck. I have thought about one several times, but I always get cold feet.

No help at all on whether you’ll crush yourself with your bike. I just wanted to say all this in case you were wanting to hang this beast off the back of a crossover SUV or something.

Anybody load their adv bike on a hitch carrier?? Got a Ktm 1290 and looking into options other than loading on a trailer. I have seen carriers that are rated for the weight concern I am having is loading and unloading by myself. Any thoughts? Am I going to drop it on myself and die?.
I have installed alot of hitches. There is a big difference between tongue weight and even this varies with length of the ball mount. The other is rack capacity. Any thing that sticks in the reciever that acts like an oscillating lever is going to over load the hitch. I was on the bad side of things..and the main culprits were bike racks, flat racks, wheel chair lifts and long ball mounts. On the otherhand we mounted many 900lb dressers on the back of diesel pusher motorhomes.

I have a 2020 siliverado... I would not hang my klr on. I might put a a 278lb tw on a hitch rated for double 600 lb non load distribution. So I would run a class 4 or 5 hitch for 300lbs. But thats me. And seen and fixed many failures.

There are some crazy products that kinda act as a tag axle where the wheels swivel. Crazy...because its trying to skate around having a trailer and ends up way more complex.

In the past six months I've seen two vehicles stopped beside the road with broken, drooping hitches from cargo carriers. Most people don't realize that the capacity of the carrier doesn't necessarily determine the safe load so they don't look into the hitch rating and account for the cantilevered load.

Would be on a 15 Chevy 2500 or on the back of a fifth wheel travel trailer and on the latter I would upgrade and brace the hitch as necessary. Looking at the rack n ride which is designed for adventure bikes and rated to 650lbs my bike weighs in at about 550lbs.

When we did this at the shop we added another reciever per side. Maybe go with a class 5 hitch. Think about a possible lead counter weight in the front bumper for a better ride. As for mounting on a trailer....we fixed alot of campers with broken frames from just tight turning with a wide axle spread. Makes a mess of spider cracks.

All in all ...I dont recommend this. Get a trailer! Ive installed 1000s of hitches. To do this the safe way is a real pain. I have people argue that it works for them. But then I see their setup didnt even bother to place taillights on their rack. And the license plate is covered. So a far cry from being road legal. That is the easiest part of the setup to fix! Most argue they have never had a problem covering up the taillights. Kinda a bad argument.

Vehicles such as a long wheelbase chevy express have very little frame overhang past the rear axle. This is ideal in the land of levers. Same applies to suv and cars. The closer the reciever is to the axle the better off the setup is.

Vehicles such as a long wheelbase chevy express have very little frame overhang past the rear axle. This is ideal in the land of levers. Same applies to suv and cars. The closer the reciever is to the axle the better off the setup is.
That's why I decided not to use a hitch carrier on my extended Transit van. The lever arm is already huge. Plus it's unibody.

My favorite cousin’s husband is career LEO retired. They are totally into RV stuff and do safety seminars, training classes nationwide. The guy is full of stories about crazy overloads, mis loads, stupid shit people bolt on, hang off, no concept of load balance, etc, etc. personally, all my roads are crooked. I want the weight between axles. Full stop.

I was pretty skeptical about using a carrier when I found mine used for $50 from the estate of a friend I'd gone camping with a couple of times but as mentioned, if your hitch is up to the effort it works just fine. He previously used the carrier for his 250 Ruckus which weighs about the same as my trimmed down CL450 restomod, and the guy I bought my '95 Silverado from went first class when he had the hitch installed on the truck when it was new so things worked out really well. I've taken the 450 about 600 miles to upstate SC on the carrier two years in a row now with zero issues. I did rig a safety strap from inside the bed under the tonneau cover just in case so if something happens the bike won't fall in the road behind the truck. Nothing bad happened but better safe than sorry.

buc-ees stop.jpg

I was pretty skeptical about using a carrier when I found mine used for $50 from the estate of a friend I'd gone camping with a couple of times but as mentioned, if your hitch is up to the effort it works just fine. He previously used the carrier for his 250 Ruckus which weighs about the same as my trimmed down CL450 restomod, and the guy I bought my '95 Silverado from went first class when he had the hitch installed on the truck when it was new so things worked out really well. I've taken the 450 about 600 miles to upstate SC on the carrier two years in a row now with zero issues. I did rig a safety strap from inside the bed under the tonneau cover just in case so if something happens the bike won't fall in the road behind the truck. Nothing bad happened but better safe than sorry.

buc-ees stop.jpg
Nice! Proper lights and tag relocation. A+ for attention to detail. Got dolly wheels for scrape protection? Cool

Nice! Proper lights and tag relocation. A+ for attention to detail. Got dolly wheels for scrape protection? Cool
Thanks, I don't like getting pulled over while traveling, especially these days, and my bike blocked my taillights and tag almost completely. *It was easy to put together with a cheap light kit. I added the caster wheels to move it around and store it after taking it off the truck, it's a bit too heavy to carry with lower back problems.

The Rack n Ride comes with a light kit standard. Some others have lights, but I don't know it they're an option or included. My bike doesn't block my truck's lights badly, but I still want lights on the carrier.
I've only used it twice so far and the thing I've tried to remember is to remove the tag from the truck BEFORE putting the carrier on, and putting the tag back on the truck AFTER removing the carrier - especially when out of town. I know my county is pretty slack about stuff like that but I'm not taking any chances with other counties' LEOs

I have a 500 lb rated hitch hauler, but the heaviest bike I dare carry on it is my wife's DR350. It's about 325 lbs. If I have to carry the adv bike, I'll put it in the bed, or on a trailer (rented from U=Haul).

I have a 500 lb rated hitch hauler, but the heaviest bike I dare carry on it is my wife's DR350. It's about 325 lbs. If I have to carry the adv bike, I'll put it in the bed, or on a trailer (rented from U=Haul).
Yeah, I've seen bigger bikes on carriers myself but I was skeptical enough about putting my 346 lb 450 on the one I got, especially since I couldn't find any documentation on the carrier. The sticker on it was from Scooter World but they don't even sell them anymore, so knowing the PO had carried his big Ruckus on it multiple times gave me the confidence to try my 450 on it. I did add a bolt right up through the main square cross-tube from underneath and through the rail because mine hinges down with a slip-on ramp to help with loading (there's a latch under the left end of it where the front wheel loop is) because the hinge was a little sloppy. I roll the bike up on it, tip the rail down and latch it (requires 2 people to help steady the bike), then after getting the bike strapped down I put the nut on the end of the bolt where it protrudes through the rail right under the bike's engine to ensure the rail is steady. It sure beats trying to load my low-clearance street bike up into my Silverado bed, the rear of the truck sits higher than any I've owned before and it's stock height.

Folks who design and sell all these carrier devices use about 200% overage in an effort to stay out of court. Lucky you.

Check etrailer (great outfit) for info on hitch extenders. If one extends the center of vertical load rearward - that is a functional hitch extender - regardless of two coolers, the dog box or a bike - marketing nomenclature. Sir Issac and Archimedes don’t much care…

torque in American English​

(tɔrk)
NOUN
a twisted metal collar or necklace worn by ancient Teutons, Gauls, Britons, etc.
2. Physics
a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation, equal to the force multiplied by the perpendicular distancebetween the line of action of the force and the center of rotation

My WR250R with a big tank fuel of gas, soft bag racks and pelican case with tools weighs about 350 + 75 or so for the hitch rack. I have roughly 15K miles of hitch carrier use on a couple different F150's with my WR250R on it.

I am pretty comfortable with carrying the WR on it. There is no way I would put anything heavier than that on the hitch rack unless it was to move a bike a very short distance from the house. I get used to it after 50 miles or so when I use the hitch rack but its a pretty noticeable difference in handling with the bike hanging in air so far behind the rear wheels, especially when hitting a good bump.

I didn't think to mention the impact on suspension. :fpalm

I have aftermarket springs & Timbren SES along with good shocks, and they're working hard with a 300 lb bike hanging off the rear of my truck. Possum's KTM 1290 might require reworking the rear suspension of whatever is carrying it. That's a drastic enough load change that I'd consider air bags, with cradles if the vehicle ventured offroad.
+++ Timbren. Every truck I’ve owned for a hellova long time.

Back
Top Bottom