What's new

Adverture Bikes

Amos Malone

Member Number
ADVERTURE. A combination of Advertisement and Adventure. Used to describe bikes that are advertised as adventure bikes, with the looks added, but are not designed to leave the asphalt. High weight, cheap suspension and parts, easily damaged unprotected bits (example. Oil filter, exhaust routed under the engine) that are likely to hit the road and bits (example. Handguards, mirrors) that are weak and will break if they hit the ground.

There is more than one kind of adventure. That said, most adventure bikes do not claim to be what you describe. The KTM, BMW, Triumph large adventure bikes are dual sport bikes. Able to take you thousands of miles on the road in reasonable comfort and still handle light to medium off road. Anyone planning to go off road will add appropriate protection. I don't, so I have added no protection to my "adventure bike" as it is a very good road bike.
20230922_100315.jpg

Some guys can ride a GS like a trials bike. Some guys can stunt a sport bike or sumo in a parking lot for hours like it's an extension of their own skeleton. So[UWSL]metimes you crash a dirt bike just trying to traverse your yard. [/UWSL]

The shortcomings are usually directly related to rider skill and not what the bike can handle

There is more than one kind of adventure. That said, most adventure bikes do not claim to be what you describe. The KTM, BMW, Triumph large adventure bikes are dual sport bikes. Able to take you thousands of miles on the road in reasonable comfort and still handle light to medium off road. Anyone planning to go off road will add appropriate protection. I don't, so I have added no protection to my "adventure bike" as it is a very good road bike.
20230922_100315.jpg

All the manufacturers I looked at have "Adventure" bikes section. As usual the meaning of the word adventure can be argued but "Dual Sport" is not in the description. I don't know how it is in the US websites.
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 17.28.09.png

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 17.29.38.png

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 17.28.41.png

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 17.29.20.png

The Adventure bike as a Type of bike, is mostly 25 ish years old max.
In the pre 90s trail bikes were drafted into use if the expected going was rough and everything else was just the naked bikes or sports tourers and put up with the shortfalls whatever they were.
You had adventures on anything that was there, the pure Adventure bikes were the Arfrica twins the XTZ Yanaha 750s and the GS BMWs etc these crossed the line between trail bikes and sports tourers with less compromising generally.
People have been having adventures on motorbikes since the start of motorbikes, and the roads trails have probably got better than in say 1923 today.
WP or olin forks are a must have travel ground clearance all must be up there to close as practical to dakar rally spec bigger engines certainly bigger hps are another must have on these Adventure bikes, and no reason you should not have all these gems in your chosen steed.
I had a Tiger 800 a 2016 it was a nice bike the newest bike i ever owned it was remarkably compitent off road and i would say slightly better on road with the engine being a phenomenon with a howling soundtrack i never got tired of listening too. A good all rounder and if i had to cross a continent on all roads it would be a good choice but it was not as light as i would have liked it to be and its capable pace just unnecessary for my personal requirements. I sold it i watched it leave and instantly regretted it, but that regret was short lived and 18 months latter i remember it fondly but i am actually glad i turned it back in to money.
You can have an adventure anywhere even around the world on anything, just look at ted simons and his 500 triumph back in the day.
How you want to have that adventure at what rate of knotts and time available might dictate a fast bigger bike if your two up too might mean a bigger of powerull bike will suit your needs, but equaly many modern day 500s and 650s will more than rival Ted simons old Triumph on vertualy every level except possibly simplicity of repair.
I am not planning a RTW trip most of my adventures are in the tiny UK or europe and NZ .
I kind of like the idea of australia but Russia east to china never interested me. The states interests me too but think i would do trip over there in a car.
If i was planning another Alpine tour and not taking any bike from my stable, and was to buy a bike specificaly for it. I would buy a Honda CB500X I have recently ridden one on and off road a 2020 model my daughter is thinking of buying as an upgrade fro her DRZ400 ( My old bike) .
I loved the honda 500 agile responsive handling easy to manhandle about good weather/dirt protection a nice firm seat that initially felt a bit firm needing a bit more padding but as you got over 300 miles it was welcome, and just a sheepskin fastened on it would perfect it for me.
Good on fuel 90mpg even more at times and cruises at a little over 5000rpm at 70mph. No rocket ship but i never felt it lacked power for what it is, its flexible trquey low down off road and well geared for all terains a little low geared for tarmac perhaps but thats how i like it. Not a lot i would change on the CB500X and if your new at this or want to feel the 500cc vibe like Ted simon its a great ultra modern option in 500cc and really all you probably need solo. I wont buy one myself but Advised the daughter to get it if she wants a bit more comfort and on road mile munching.
Its much smaller than the typical adventure bikes you tend to see, but none the less a real RTW capable Adventure bike .

Last edited:
I skipped the cb500x due to the ergos.. Both for the rider and passenger. I like to be able sit closer to the handlebars. I went with a slower but more comfortable klr. But I liked the idea of the cb500x.

I would think the RE 650s are the modern triumph 500 and could go anywhere with tires and a skid plate. Also a flat seat is standard. Not enough adv bikes have a flat seat option.

Top Bottom Back Refresh