What's new

Am I ok to tap into the wire labeled "ignition"?

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
Wiring in a USB plug for my Suzuki Boulevard C90T.

Tapped into a wire on the back of the fuse block labeled "ignition".

Had a bit of a time to start this morning. It'd crank just fine, but didn't want to stay running. Eventually it evened out.

There any chance the USB plug could have thrown off anything to the ignition with the plug tapped into it?

I'm at the point I'm just going to plug and unplug the SAE cable to the USB outlet when I got for a ride.

I wire my USB charging ports straight to the battery so I can charge my phone while I sleep in a tent while camping, in the restaurant, etc. I haven't found a need to tap in to a keyed circuit personally.

Interesting. I can't think of any issues from tieing in behind the fuse block.🤷‍♂️. There are issues if the added circuit pulls the available voltage below the minimum threshold required to energize the fuel injector(s). The bike will crank fine but won't start. But just wiring in a USB plug that is not in use would not put any drain on the battery.

I usually go direct to the battery as well.

Chopper Charles? I think had the best advice wire a trigger off a turn signal running light or tail circuit..usually a bullet connector. A relay and fuse finnishes the job. Now the power side might want to go to the solenoid...ha how many terminals are stacked on that poor battery?... I did 1000s of 4 wheel vehicle installs...no rhyme or reason except battery draw and fires.

Perhaps it was a separate issue. Who knows.

I wire my USB charging ports straight to the battery so I can charge my phone while I sleep in a tent while camping, in the restaurant, etc. I haven't found a need to tap in to a keyed circuit personally.
Not in use, this charger was pulling, without anything even plugged in, a bit over .5A. The battery was dead in just a few days. Explains why the PO kept a set of jumper cables in the saddlebags. Its probably some cheapo Amazon China thing. All my other bikes are right to the battery.
Interesting. I can't think of any issues from tieing in behind the fuse block.🤷‍♂️. There are issues if the added circuit pulls the available voltage below the minimum threshold required to energize the fuel injector(s). The bike will crank fine but won't start. But just wiring in a USB plug that is not in use would not put any drain on the battery.

I usually go direct to the battery as well.
I just wasn't sure if it was drawing just enough to throw the computer off or something. I yanked it and swapped to low beam on the headlight. See above on the wiring to the battery deal.
Chopper Charles? I think had the best advice wire a trigger off a turn signal running light or tail circuit..usually a bullet connector. A relay and fuse finnishes the job. Now the power side might want to go to the solenoid...ha how many terminals are stacked on that poor battery?... I did 1000s of 4 wheel vehicle installs...no rhyme or reason except battery draw and fires.
Aftermarket lights, BOSS Audio setup, and the USB plug. The audio system I pulled the fuse. The wiring is still all there because the person that installed it integrated it into the bike. I'd have to pull the tank and stuff to remove it all.

Weather looks decent tomorrow. I took the day off to go for a ride. I'll see what happens.

Ya..I dont dig terminal stacks on the battery. And accessories should be relay powered unless full time hot is desirable.

There might be a smart usb charger that wont drain. A gen3 klr rider uses a flush mount sae connector. This is kinda slick. The usb charger has a pigtail to be plugged in when needed.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Woods, just curious. What is the Amp drop across the battery when nothing is "supposed" to drawing any current?

Woods, just curious. What is the Amp drop across the battery when nothing is "supposed" to drawing any current?
There's a bunch of numbers I came up with for everything, so I'm hazy on what was what. I believe it was .1something mA. It was in spec though.

Top Bottom Back Refresh