What's new

Aprilia Tuareg 660

She came home today.

Initial impressions:

I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I can flat-foot at lights. Odd sensation after being on tippy toes or a single foot down with my 701 Enduro and 1190 Adventure R.

Power feels great and there is a good sound from the intake. 6th gear can be ridden down to 35mph with no stuttering or lurching and it accelerates nicely without downshifting.

It handles like a supermoto. Super stable but very confidence inspiring through the turns. Very light input needed to flick into a turn.

The transmission is as smooth as can be. Very positive action but light and slick. My quickshifter is backordered...can't wait to try full throttle upshifts.

In other words...It's a giggle machine.

I haven't taken it off road yet, or really played around with the different ride modes yet.

I typically am a set it and forget it rider, though. I set the "Individual" mode with the most aggressive throttle setting and minimal intervention from ABS and traction control..

Attachments

• 20220412_124815.jpg
    20220412_124815.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 20220412_124803.jpg
    20220412_124803.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
She came home today.

Initial impressions:

I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I can flat-foot at lights. Odd sensation after being on tippy toes or a single foot down with my 701 Enduro and 1190 Adventure R.

Power feels great and there is a good sound from the intake. 6th gear can be ridden down to 35mph with no stuttering or lurching and it accelerates nicely without downshifting.

It handles like a supermoto. Super stable but very confidence inspiring through the turns. Very light input needed to flick into a turn.

The transmission is as smooth as can be. Very positive action but light and slick. My quickshifter is backordered...can't wait to try full throttle upshifts.

In other words...It's a giggle machine.

I haven't taken it off road yet, or really played around with the different ride modes yet.

I typically am a set it and forget it rider, though. I set the "Individual" mode with the most aggressive throttle setting and minimal intervention from ABS and traction control..
It's a beautiful machine! Congrats! Be sure to report often on your adventures.

Just had something interesting happen. Riding out of my neighborhood about a mile from home, I felt my left leg getting wet... at the same time the bike started sputtering. I look down and fuel is pouring out the left side under the tank.

After a tiny bit of digging, I found the fuel line qd had come apart. There is a yellow plastic lock that had not been snapped down.

I suggest everyone that takes delivery check that it is secure... It would have been bad if I was on the highway...

The old reliability issues are a thing of the past. I had the same reservations when I bought my Aprilia Dorsoduro back in 2011, but they were unfounded. I've had very little issues with the bike, despite taking it off road when it wasn't really meant for that. Certainly no more than my Hondas or Suzukis.

Support from Aprilia is an issue, but AF1 has been my solution. I have found that they generally have more parts in stock than the Aprilia factory.

The 660 parallel twin looks promising. In the RS660, it makes about the same power as my 750 v-twin.

The Taureg looks like a direct competitor to the Yamaha Tenere 700, or the 700/800 BMW GS. It's the bike I was looking for when I converted my Dorsoduro to an all terrain machine.

1644638798444.png
Man that is a good looking bike!!
My 99 f650 BMW is actually a Rebadged Aprilia (Pegaso I think) It has been running great for 23 years and 60+K of gravel travel. A few wrecks ,drops and bad lending practices over the years and it is still tight and reliable.
Every year I say that I am going to replace it ( Dorso, T7,...Maico 700 2t...) but then I think about what I actually need. And keep it

Man that is a good looking bike!!
My 99 f650 BMW is actually a Rebadged Aprilia (Pegaso I think) It has been running great for 23 years and 60+K of gravel travel. A few wrecks ,drops and bad lending practices over the years and it is still tight and reliable.
Every year I say that I am going to replace it ( Dorso, T7,...Maico 700 2t...) but then I think about what I actually need. And keep it
The F650 was not rebadged. It was assembled by Aprilia for a while.

This is on a private road. I would never condone this kind of behavior on public streets.

Attachments

• media-1656876519939-Jul_3_2022_2_27_PM~2.jpg
    media-1656876519939-Jul_3_2022_2_27_PM~2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 53
The quickshifter on this bike is sooooo much fun. Full throttle clutchless upshifts sound insane. (like a twin cylinder rally car) This is a must have accessory.
Please elaborate. Not sure I understand why I would want a quickshifter as I am seldom at wot or hammering through the gears. I like simple but some of the riders aids are starting to grow on me so I am curious about the qs.

Top Bottom Back Refresh