What's new

Aprilia Tuareg 660

Starting a new trend... Riding an Italian bike to get Italian ice cream. Lol.
20221021_111626.jpg

What
well 3 - 5 months waiting turned into about 5 weeks. Got lucky and a previous order did not get sold, issue with the finance. Dealer was happy to take my check.

Of course, as FASTRacing predicted, the farkling has already begun. Added a motor guard, which the dealer had in stock. Ordered the quickshift and a center stand, not in stock.

Ordered in August, showed up Thursday, picked it up Saturday
Aprilia Tuareg 660.
1st bike I have bought brand new (the MV Augusta has 125 miles on it but I bought it from the original owner)
1st bike I have bought without so much as a test ride

Put almost 200 miles on it Saturday, in our canyon and the next over. Ran out of daylight

First impressions
When I first saw it at the dealer - man that is a big bike. But it was surrounded by sport bikes. I am 6’2” and I sit with both feet flat and a good bend in my knees. Definitely not GS or Africa Twin big
Plenty of power, not running it hard yet, but nice delivery and plenty of torque in low revs. Love it does not shake and rattle like my old XR
Fantastic intake noise
I really like the handling both pavement and dirt. Bike leans in and takes a set, easy to adjust line with throttle. Rides nicer than the almost 30 year old Ducati 907ie sport bike. Actually feels like the 848 Hayden Ducati. There is a touch of tire squirm on pavement but only noticed it coming back to pavement from dirt

E-dash easy to operate and visible in all light conditions. 4 ride modes including a total custom one.

Plan is to ride the heck out of it next spring,summer and fall including CO and WY BDRs. Then put it in a crate and ship it to a buddy in Thailand and we plan a Vietnam/Thailand adventure in 2024.

Need gear. Suggestions for ADV style clothing that does not break the bank? Using my road helmet at the moment but I can see the value in a Mx style with goggles
What kind of adv style clothing do you think you need? As in, what is your current gear doing/ not doing that is bothering you?

I often use my dirt bike helmet and goggles on my sport bike when I've got lots of errands to run in town during hot weather. I don't have to constantly flip visors up and down and I get TONS of airflow. The beak is also useful on early morning/ late evening rides when the low sun is blinding you. Just tip the beak and you're good.

Most modern helmets have "cured" the perceived wind issue of beaks by making them so shrunken that they no longer can perform as a beak. They are nothing more than adv cool kid helmet ornaments if they're not long enough to dip in to your line of sight. So be wary of that when shopping online.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride!

Arrow catless race header and Upmap Gabro full race tune installed...
20221103_094800.jpg
Just rode it around the block.
Holy crap. It is a different bike... And it sounds even more insane than with just the slipon. Confirmed. She'll wheelie in 2nd now. Before, not a chance. I needed to clutch up in 1st... Now in first, you can just snap it on and it comes up.

The fueling issues are gone. Throttle is far more sensitive. Lean popping is gone. This is the way it should come from the factory. Y[UWSL]esssss![/UWSL]

Just rode it around the block.
Holy crap. It is a different bike... And it sounds even more insane than with just the slipon. Confirmed. She'll wheelie in 2nd now. Before, not a chance. I needed to clutch up in 1st... Now in first, you can just snap it on and it comes up.

The fueling issues are gone. Throttle is far more sensitive. Lean popping is gone. This is the way it should come from the factory. Y[UWSL]esssss![/UWSL]
Not that most people care, but let us know how big a hit your fuel economy takes doing this. Sometimes range on an adventure is more important than all out performance.

Not that most people care, but let us know how big a hit your fuel economy takes doing this. Sometimes range on an adventure is more important than all out performance.
My guess is that it will suffer, because it's so addictive to crank the throttle hard and have the front end float up in first and second.

I was getting about 175 when the fuel light would come on. If it drops to 150 that is acceptable to me, as it's just so much better, and I have had bikes that barely made 100 miles.

Price is not terrible

but a 660 should be no slouch off the showroom floor either

My guess is that it will suffer, because it's so addictive to crank the throttle hard and have the front end float up in first and second.

I was getting about 175 when the fuel light would come on. If it drops to 150 that is acceptable to me, as it's just so much better, and I have had bikes that barely made 100 miles.
:stupid

i managed to drop my 450's nice 50mpg to 35mpg with a tuner, but it does put a smile on your face.

for long road trips, BDR, I set the bike back to stock maps

Price is not terrible

but a 660 should be no slouch off the showroom floor either
They are just so choked up to comply with more and more stringent emissions requirements... Makes it really easy to gain mega power, but I agree... They should come like that from the factory...

Cheers,

Jason

I think this Tuareg could easily be a hooligan bike but I bought it to ride on trips. It travels very good, I have only taken it on a few two day rides motel camping so far and now winter is here so it will likely be a few months before I get very far from home with it.
I plan to do some multi day camping trips with it, ride some BDR type stuff. So with that in mind I went looking for luggage. I have Mosko Moto reckless 80 system that served me well on my 701 and 690 but I wanted something different. I have used a few Wolfman products and talked to him at the BMW rally last year.
I ordered a Wolfman B-Base and two medium Rolie bags, I already had a Wolfman large duffle. The B-base fits the Tuareg like it was made for it, no rack of any kind necessary, loop the rear tiedown around the tail light, loop the sides through the passenger tag brackets and cinch it down tight. Using the tie down loops on the B-base tie the bags down tight. It is all very solid. If I used two larger Roles on the side leg I could move stuff from the top duffle down to the side and roll the duffle down smaller but I'll stick with the way it is until I am able to get a longer ride in.
I do have two heat shields on the muffler, so far they are doing a good job of protecting the side bags.
Last week I loaded up all my camping gear and a few other things just to get a feel for how it would ride. Because of impending weather I took a short ride, about 20 miles of 80mph interstate, 15 miles of smaller two lane blacktop and about 1/2 mile of good gravel road. I could only tell the bags were there if I leaned back against them.
In this picture I have that top bag overstuffed on purpose to see how it rode like that, my sleeping bag is in there loose and puffed up. For actual trips I can shrink that down quite a bit smaller.

IMG_8539-X2.jpg

Last edited:
well 3 - 5 months waiting turned into about 5 weeks. Got lucky and a previous order did not get sold, issue with the finance. Dealer was happy to take my check.

Of course, as FASTRacing predicted, the farkling has already begun. Added a motor guard, which the dealer had in stock. Ordered the quickshift and a center stand, not in stock.

Ordered in August, showed up Thursday, picked it up Saturday
Aprilia Tuareg 660.
1st bike I have bought brand new (the MV Augusta has 125 miles on it but I bought it from the original owner)
1st bike I have bought without so much as a test ride

Put almost 200 miles on it Saturday, in our canyon and the next over. Ran out of daylight

First impressions
When I first saw it at the dealer - man that is a big bike. But it was surrounded by sport bikes. I am 6’2” and I sit with both feet flat and a good bend in my knees. Definitely not GS or Africa Twin big
Plenty of power, not running it hard yet, but nice delivery and plenty of torque in low revs. Love it does not shake and rattle like my old XR
Fantastic intake noise
I really like the handling both pavement and dirt. Bike leans in and takes a set, easy to adjust line with throttle. Rides nicer than the almost 30 year old Ducati 907ie sport bike. Actually feels like the 848 Hayden Ducati. There is a touch of tire squirm on pavement but only noticed it coming back to pavement from dirt

E-dash easy to operate and visible in all light conditions. 4 ride modes including a total custom one.

Plan is to ride the heck out of it next spring,summer and fall including CO and WY BDRs. Then put it in a crate and ship it to a buddy in Thailand and we plan a Vietnam/Thailand adventure in 2024.

Need gear. Suggestions for ADV style clothing that does not break the bank? Using my road helmet at the moment but I can see the value in a Mx style with goggles
4 ride modes including a total custom one. ...Just like a Porsche!!!

I have an rxv550 and I'm not sure if I would do the Aprilia deal again..but these bikes are cool!

I have an rxv550 and I'm not sure if I would do the Aprilia deal again..but these bikes are cool!
That was the old Aprilia. High strung, high maintenance, and high excitement! Perfect for serious racers.

The fun factor is still there, but Aprilia has really done their homework when it comes to trouble free riding. My 2009 Dorsoduro 750 has been nearly flawless. In 11 years of ownership, I have replaced the battery and the radiator fan. That's it. I flog the crap out of it, too. I take it off road, do road course track days, and ride interstates at 7,000+ rpms all day long. Of course, it only gets 100 miles out of a tank of fuel, so that involves lots of gas stops. :lol3

Woundflatout had my hopes up with that Upmap Gabro product, but apparently they don't support the older 750cc Dorsoduro. :(

I'm glad to hear the Tuareg can be made to power wheelie, though. In my opinion, that is the perfect level of power for a middleweight adventure bike. The Yamaha Tenere 700 or BMW 850GS can't do that off the showroom floor (though there may be aftermarket hope for those bikes too). Low down torque of a twin, hooligan capability for asphalt, and soft luggage options. Home run for Aprilia!

The low fuel light used to come on at about 180 miles. I have filled up 4x since the reflash.

1st time light came on at 140 miles, next I got a measly 90 miles, but I was chasing a Tuono V4 the whole 90 miles.... So you could say I was 3/4 throttle and up... (🤫) 3rd and 4th fill ups were at about 155 miles.

[UWSL]So yeah, I lost a bit of mileage but it could also be attributed to the fact that I am riding the bike a lot harder than I used to, now that I am comfortable on it, or the noise of the new exaust/intake and quicksifter are making me ride like a jackass. 😎🤔[/UWSL]

The low fuel light used to come on at about 180 miles. I have filled up 4x since the reflash.

1st time light came on at 140 miles, next I got a measly 90 miles, but I was chasing a Tuono V4 the whole 90 miles.... So you could say I was 3/4 throttle and up... (🤫) 3rd and 4th fill ups were at about 155 miles.

[UWSL]So yeah, I lost a bit of mileage but it could also be attributed to the fact that I am riding the bike a lot harder than I used to, now that I am comfortable on it, or the noise of the new exaust/intake and quicksifter are making me ride like a jackass. 😎🤔[/UWSL]
Thanks for the update, I have been resisting a flash on the T7 because I really like the travel range I have.

Some of you may have seen this posted elsewhere, but figured I'd ask here too. Thinking of swapping from a 17 GSA and am curious how the Tuareg might handle the odd 500 mile mostly-road trip? I generally stick to two lane roads, chip-n-seal, etc. and avoid interstates if at all possible but have been known to jump onto gravel and dirt as well.

The other question is in regards to seat-to-footpeg distance. I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and am concerned about knees being cramped (I was a bit cramped on the GSA until I added a tall seat and BDCW pegs, but I think part of that is that the pegs sit further back than most ADV bikes)

I intended to do more long distance stuff with the GSA but my mom is 75 with some dementia issues and my sister can't be trusted to help out, so I don't see any multi-week trips in my immediate future.

Some of you may have seen this posted elsewhere, but figured I'd ask here too. Thinking of swapping from a 17 GSA and am curious how the Tuareg might handle the odd 500 mile mostly-road trip? I generally stick to two lane roads, chip-n-seal, etc. and avoid interstates if at all possible but have been known to jump onto gravel and dirt as well.

The other question is in regards to seat-to-footpeg distance. I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and am concerned about knees being cramped (I was a bit cramped on the GSA until I added a tall seat and BDCW pegs, but I think part of that is that the pegs sit further back than most ADV bikes)

I intended to do more long distance stuff with the GSA but my mom is 75 with some dementia issues and my sister can't be trusted to help out, so I don't see any multi-week trips in my immediate future.
So to answer your first question ...

I came off of a KTM 1190 Adv R. No regrets whatsoever as to the touring and long distance ability of the Tuareg. It's far more entertaining to ride a slightly slower bike fast than a really fast bike fast... The Tuareg has me grinning like a Monkey that just stumbled on a lifetime supply of bananas. It is smooth at speed and has no issue with running 80+ for hours on end.

The bike feels like a supermoto in the twisties, which the 1190 never did.

I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam and while I didn't feel cramped with the stock seat, I wanted an easier transition from seated to standing...so I got the tall seat. You would probably benefit from the tall seat as well.

You may also want a taller windscreen as well. While I don't get really bad buffeting, it's there...but hey, it's a motorcycle...you're supposed to be out in the wind. Lol.

I hope this helps....as stated, no regrets. This bike does it all.

Top Bottom Back Refresh