What's new

Baby Thumpers, Grom, Monkey, Z125, ADV190, Spade.....

The Monkey is one tough bike, rode it home:
1D2B8650-8751-499D-912A-8A4FE4851508.jpg

I am fine, lots of bruises all over.
I got thrown off the bike but my leg got stuck in the handlebars so I was laying in front of the bike being dragged along for a bit.
A tow truck had to pull the bike out with its winch.
I patched it up, all the plastic parts on the back got busted.

I was doing 30 mph when he hit me, he was doing 45 or more, in a 25 zone.

No, he did not have much to say which is likely smart after you run someone down.
Had something similar happen only from the front. Going thru a parking lot guy in front slams on brakes throws car in R. I'm 2 up trying to back pedal, standing on horn, yelling and nothing, car comes up on front fender, luckily everything is squared up and we start going backwards with car on fender. Guy decides he doesn't want the parking spot, car in D and drives off! Wasn't going to say anything but the wife is livid, I pull up and ask the driver what he was thinking and he goes into full attack mode. Long story short, police thank me for calling, driver gets dl taken, car towed. Went home and tried to get the red paint off my chrome front fender.

I don't own one of these mini motos..........yet!

I do own a 150cc scooter which is also a lot of fun and a much better commuter for me but I keep eying the mini motos. I have had the chance to ride a few.

Me on an older grom:

P8040183-XL.jpg

I also swapped bikes for a bit with a buddy on a TnT135.

PB070093-X2.jpg

The Benelli was very comfortable. I don't think doing a 300 mile day on one would be a problem.

The biggest problem with these mini motos? I like them all and choosing just one is going to be tough!

I don't own one of these mini motos..........yet!

I do own a 150cc scooter which is also a lot of fun and a much better commuter for me but I keep eying the mini motos. I have had the chance to ride a few.

Me on an older grom:

P8040183-XL.jpg

I also swapped bikes for a bit with a buddy on a TnT135.

PB070093-X2.jpg

The Benelli was very comfortable. I don't think doing a 300 mile day on one would be a problem.

The biggest problem with these mini motos? I like them all and choosing just one is going to be tough!
I ride my scooters more than my Monkey.

I ride my scooters more than my Monkey.
I ride my small scooter more than any of my bigger bikes. I don't see ever riding a mini moto as much but they sure look like fun. One big edge the mini motos have over a small scooter is they get better gas mileage and with the price of gas that's becoming more important.

I ride my small scooter more than any of my bigger bikes. I don't see ever riding a mini moto as much but they sure look like fun. One big edge the mini motos have over a small scooter is they get better gas mileage and with the price of gas that's becoming more important.
The difference between the Like and the Monkey is negligible. It becomes even smaller when you look at total cost at the pump. .9 gal vs 1.4 or so for 100-110 miles.
Keep in mind the details of the ratings. IIRC, the Honda mini’s are rated at something like 25mph. At those speeds the Like should bump 90mpg

The difference between the Like and the Monkey is negligible. It becomes even smaller when you look at total cost at the pump. .9 gal vs 1.4 or so for 100-110 miles.
Keep in mind the details of the ratings. IIRC, the Honda mini’s are rated at something like 25mph. At those speeds the Like should bump 90mpg
I took my like to Ohio a couple of years ago when visiting my parents. The speed limits there are really low, 25-40 MPH. It was also summer when gas mileage is better. I got 100 MPG. Around here running mostly 45-55 I get around 70 MPG. In the summer and taking it easy I can easily get 80. I think a Grom or Super Cub will get well over 100 MPG unless flogged really hard. If you ride enough the difference in gas mileage adds up. Hey, I'm looking for excused to buy another bike:D

Another advantage with the mini motos is you don't have to remove a bunch of plastic to adjust the valves.

I took my like to Ohio a couple of years ago when visiting my parents. The speed limits there are really low, 25-40 MPH. It was also summer when gas mileage is better. I got 100 MPG. Around here running mostly 45-55 I get around 70 MPG. In the summer and taking it easy I can easily get 80. I think a Grom or Super Cub will get well over 100 MPG unless flogged really hard. If you ride enough the difference in gas mileage adds up. Hey, I'm looking for excused to buy another bike:D

Another advantage with the mini motos is you don't have to remove a bunch of plastic to adjust the valves.
This isn’t a reason I can get behind enabling another rider. All the mini’s are a down grade from the Like.
You’d do better ditching the Like for a GT/GTS. Still get the 75+ mpg and have interstate capability.

This isn’t a reason I can get behind enabling another rider. All the mini’s are a down grade from the Like.
You’d do better ditching the Like for a GT/GTS. Still get the 75+ mpg and have interstate capability.
A mini wouldn't replace the Like. I will always have a small scooter. I would use a mini for commuting when I don't need the storage but mostly it would be a back road and occasional dirt road fun bike. One big complaint I have about most scooters is lack of cornering clearance. That really holds me back on twisty roads. The Like is a little better than a Vespa but still scrapes to easily in the curves. I had an Aprilia Sport CIty 250 that I could really push through the curves.

My monkey gets 120 mpg riding it as hard as I can.
I would think its better in the dirt then most scooters would be.
I also like a clutch and shifting.

As I was riding my SH150 home from work today (off the highway) I was thinking that 125 would have been enough for me on this route. Max speed is low (about 50 mph for 1/3rd of the way, 40 mph for the rest). It is slightly shorter than the highway and I jump to the front on most traffic lights, so the total time is similar. Last tank was 123 mpg. I've barely touched my car and "big" bike for a month.

Public Service Announcement

Anyone with a 2022 Monkey, the Opmid M1204 gauge is not made for the 5 speed. It will still work but the oil sensor lead will not connect. Also after putting in the correct gear ratios, sprocket teeth and tire dimension it may not show 5 speeds (waiting to hear back from the manufacturer).

They are making a M1208 that will be for the 5 speed engine.

That's a shame. I guess it can't be addressed with a reflash by an end user.
I played around with some of the settings and changed pulse from 31 to 27 (just guessed) and it seems to show 5th gear consistently now (it was the only other setting I could think of). Rode for about 40 miles today trying to dial in the correct speed. Not easy as not many flat roads where I am; it seems close enough within 1-2 mph. So the only thing not functional is the oil temp but I'm hoping sometime in the future the company will make and adapter. Wouldn't be hard just depends on if they want to make one.

So to help anyone else that gets an Opmid M1204 for a 5 speed Monkey here are your settings.

1.3 Speed: 98.5
1.4 Front sprocket: 14
1.5 Rear sprocket: 37
1.6 Pulse: 27
1.7 Rear tire: 515

Gear ratios:
5.1 Primary: 3.040
5.2 1: 2.846
5.3 2: 1.777
5.4 3: 1.315
5.5 4: 1.034
5.6 5: 0.843

Also of note you need to know your existing mileage so you can transfer it to the Opmid. Not sure if it can be changed once you set it so be careful.

YMMV

So far in two fill ups I'm only seeing 92mpg, I guess I need to be at a lower speed in a higher gear if I want to get the 120+ mpg Honda claims.

I have ordered a DHM cam and will be ordering an intake, exhaust is already on so after the 600 mile service I'll pull the ECU and get it flashed. You can't get a core for the 2022 Monkey yet.

I think those mods and a windscreen should get me the minimum speed I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh