What's new

+ Week Baltimore to Maine (aka the R6 neck-pinch)

AMA roadside, it was marginally better than calling around myself, they made some aspects of the job clumsy but helpful.

OTOH the R6 engine is on its way to toast.. burned a full oil fill in less than a tank of gas. Idles on 3 cyls, 4th goes in and out... top end power is off and fading. Have 2 long highway grinds to get home, so turning in the.bike and walking away- rental home. Its bittersweet, but I didnt like my chances with it so far from home. Its a great bike but really does hurt on long rides... so not willing to go to the mat to save it... gonna let this one go fellows.
Can't like that post. Good luck finding a replacement!

Yeah grieving it a bit... but glad to not be pushing it for 2 hard highway days. Next ride I want to go back to Suzuki... something newer maybe. Anyhow I got nice footage for the R6's swan song today, and avoided a ticket by sheer good luck. Will put all that stuff up here to complete the report once I'm home, I have lots of footage over the last 3 days all dumped together.

AMA roadside, it was marginally better than calling around myself, they made some aspects of the job clumsy but helpful.

OTOH the R6 engine is on its way to toast.. burned a full oil fill in less than a tank of gas. Idles on 3 cyls, 4th goes in and out... top end power is off and fading. Have 2 long highway grinds to get home, so turning in the.bike and walking away- rental home. Its bittersweet, but I didnt like my chances with it so far from home. Its a great bike but really does hurt on long rides... so not willing to go to the mat to save it... gonna let this one go fellows.
Let’s talk when you get back. I have a built 99 racebike without a title

Drove home yesterday, feels nice to be off the road. I'll put it like this;

Back in fall 2018 a mutual friend introduced me to R6 (call her R for short). That spring I got dumped in a painful breakup, so R and I took it slowly but as it happened we got along well. All through 2019 we'd go on short dates, keeping it casual and the affection deepened. We started getting serious in 2020/21 and I was putting effort into the relationship; investing in big and little things, we spent time together on and off the road. The sex was amazing- she was way better at it than me but didn't mind my amateur status. She appreciated the work I put in to get better. As we became more deeply involved I started finding longer days with her were getting uncomfortable- really glad to finish a ride instead of wishing it had been longer. But damn she was hot, just step into the garage and all that was easily forgotten.

So in 2022 we decided to go on a long vacation together. The fatigue of those long days added up and I started to dread a little getting with her. On the return leg it had gotten so tiring that I started wondering privately why I was doing this. Then there was that day in New Hampshire- R told me she couldn't do it anymore and honestly, neither could I. So we split up, I sure hope she finds someone else more worth her time. I got a rental car and drove home, bereft, her not with me feeling like a missing tooth. Yet, after a couple hours driving I noticed that mixed in with the heartbreak of leaving her, I was also relieved. Adding it up, I think we were in some kind of abusive relationship; R punished my limitations, not all of them, not all the time- but mercy is not part of her nature. For quite a while I had been pushing harder and harder, hoping it would get better, easier. But, in retrospect, that was never going to happen. Better to end it before things get really bad.

A Heartfelt story - almost brought a tear to my eye

Time to put yourself out there again and see what the universe has in store for you

Dang that's a heart breaker. I'm still in love with my ole R6! Even though she left home. I learned so much from that bike.

P7260006.jpg

Good write-up.
Just remember, bikes are like women....
7 billion people on the planet, half are women.
You will find another......
See ya
bill

I had a chance at another Bandit- thought about it but pass, too heavy and a good bit of $ for carb and suspension upgrades to get it handling well. Pretty sure I'm going for a GSXS-S1000, naked one I think. The pannier situation is not ideal, and the whole fancy modern stuff on a new bike thing makes my skin crawl a bit.. but its pretty comfy and much closer to what I want to be riding. I think the only big ticket upgrade is an aftermarket rear shock. The GT touring version looks nice but I rather prefer the unfaired look and feel, can still mount the nav and camera junk on it. Who knows the traction control and quickshifter stuff might end up being nice.

Ah, the Bandit as an ex-girlfriend... she didn't beat me up like R did. B and I could hang out easily on long trips.. but all she wanted to do was watch the Hallmark channel. I mean, I like the Waltons too but after a while I started climbing the walls needing to get my Rick and Morty on. We broke each other's hearts and bones back in 2018, lots of memories in the way.

I finally got around to processing the last few days of footage...

Day 6 dawned wet, but a short ride heading north from Damariscotta through Waterville up to 201 North;

image5.jpeg

A ways up on 201 North, on the open roads. Little traffic and before the rain started coming in I wrung her saucy little neck a bit :-)

As to the engine situation I had checked the bike over the day before this- oil was fine, everything in order. Whatever happened to the engine occurred this day or perhaps on the return leg several days later. The Penske rear and revalved front suspension was superb at speed on this bumpy pavement; night and day better than my old Bandit's despite the upgrades. I think I'll miss that the most about the R6.

image6.jpeg

Heading towards the parking lot, some mud and and a bridge....

image7.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 10 - back on the road 201 South with beautiful weather;

The overlook for Attean Pond, Jackman ME- where I had been staying....

small-IMG_20220607_104756.jpg

Heading out back to 201 South;

image7.jpeg

Empty road- did something of an Italian tune-up, bike was riding so well... :-)

image8.jpeg

I love riding 201, along the Kennebec river and the various ponds and lakes, gorgeous in the sun or the rain.

image9.jpeg

Locals have been putting birdhouses on the retaining wall, some are very creative, others funny. I wonder how many are occupied?

image10.jpeg

Now back on 95 South alas, it was a good trip.

image11.jpeg

Here the view from the exit ramp south of Portland where I got stranded via a puncture in the rear which went flat in probably 20 seconds. Man that was a pain, but I eventually got towed to a garage which hooked me up with a new Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 rear, I spent the night in a local motel.

I found the oil low at this stop, the shop did a filter change and refill. The remaining old oil was a little dark but not opaque. Given that the oil wasn't really dark it has me wondering about where the oil was going; not a lot of carbon and gunk blowing back into the engine case so perhaps not a scored cylinder wall and/or failing rings... maybe a badly leaking valve seal? The exhaust outlet did get dark but I didn't see/smell oil smoke with the engine running. When cool the engine ran fine as I was accustomed to but once warmed up one of the cylinders started going in and out at idle and at lower rpms. I noticed that the next day...

image13.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 11 - heading out of Windham ME, original goal was Bennington VT but plans changed because of the oil/engine situation.

I always like heading out on misty mornings, this one as well...

image14.jpeg

The day started clearing beautifully, and its always nice to have a local set the pace... into New Hampshire I was poking along at 15 over or so, a couple locals blew by me on the passing lanes so I stepped it up :rofl

OTOH later at a stoplite the bike was idling poorly; one cylinder coming in and out. Even though it smoothed out at road speeds, I was worried about something really letting go.

image15.jpeg

I stopped for gas in Hillsboro NH I found the engine again almost empty of oil. I started looking for a way out at that point. I found a motorsports dealer in Keene who would take the bike, figured out the motel situation and a rental car- the trick was it was located 40 miles from Keene but getting there was a problem for later; my concern was would the bike make it 30 miles to Keene.

image16.jpeg

Enroute to Keene, this rolling roadblock saved me from a ticket- I slowed to temporarily take up the station crawling behind the trailer and then saw the state trooper. He was quite interested, getting on the road and creeping on me for the next 15 or so miles until we came upon a disabled vehicle which he stopped for...

image17.jpeg

To my profound relief I rolled into Keene... the R6's final stop with me.

image18.jpeg

The last 2 pics of my forlorn & abandoned bike. After signing the papers I went off to the Days Inn full of regret and uncertainty of how to get to my rental car which was 40 miles away in Mass. None of the in-town taxi's served destinations that far out, no uber or lyft in town. No u-hauls or similar I could have loaded the bike into. I still think it was the right call, the 5+hr days were starting to really hurt at the pace I could safely sustain, and 2 long highway rides with a sick engine to get home.

Next morning via further conversations with the local taxi outfits I got a referral to a long-haul taxi who fixed me right up, I was on the road home by 10:30a

small2-IMG_20220608_151031.jpg

small2-IMG_20220608_151041.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about having to let go of the R6, but at least you're home safe and have the opportunity to move on to something else.

:-) thx, I still miss the R6 a little, but much less now that the GSX-S1000 I got to replace it is dialed in. Its substantially more comfortable and holy crap the torque.. The R6 was certainly noticably lighter on its feet and more perfect steering, but this bike fits the kind of riding I do a lot better. I keep hoping I'll see it on the R6 forum- meaning somebody adopted it- but no luck I supposed its been auctioned off and/or parted out at this point... :cry

Interesting bittersweet read. I understand the whole neck pinch thing. I'm 64 yo and my Tri D675 can get uncomfortable. I put a throttle lock on it so I can sit up often and stretch while riding. I have to say that just about doubled the length of time I could spend on that bike.

Happy to report no neck-pinch at all with the GSXS. I still miss the solid pivot steering behavior of the R6 a bit, in contrast the GSXS <really> likes to be pushed under.

sit up and strech- oh yeah that brings back the memories of hours of trying to get comfortable on the R6... don't miss that at all. :thumbup

Top Bottom Back Refresh