What's new

Barnish find 2009 Versys 650

Got the lights bolted on, fun hiding the nut inside the tube of the crash bars.
nwqoWr.jpg

Replaced the broken turn signal light stalks with new ebay knock-offs. I had to cut off the plugs from the originals and solder them on the new lights. They look great.
EI91Dc.jpg
g7Hs5w.jpg

Lastly, I used electrolysis to derust the tank. It worked really well. Once done I flushed it with 2-stroke gas to stop the flash rust.
NstvXz.jpg
04eJv6.jpg
ech0UD.jpg
q4WMPA.jpg
zvj4Wf.jpg
DdEngI.jpg
FYyfRt.jpg

What was the fluid in the tank for the electrolysis ?

Hot water and sodium bicarbonate.
Amazon product ASIN B09MR278PL
I did the same thing with an old Honda XL600R fuel tank. I used an old phone charger and let it brew for a few days,. The sacrificial allen wrench didn't fare so well, the process worked great. My wife started calling me the mad scientist with that and the rejuvenation of old hardened carburetor boots using Wintergreen oil & isopropyl alcohol. :lol3 Sometimes you do what ya gotta do!

Amazing rehab. Seriously, bike is looking new.

But,
Not a fan of RM logos on a versys.

Took the tank off, again, and shuffled a couple of handfuls of large nuts around in a half quart of gas to get the rest of the loose scale out. Definitely worth it. The mesh filter was already dirty, so I changed it out. I have two more.

M9iN5x.jpg
6s4Dk8.jpg
buC3wd.jpg

Popped it all together and it fired right up and ran smoothly. Looks pretty good too!

8bU0k1.jpg
rxl3r1.jpg
UtflDV.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh