What's new

Basement Build log

Broke in the basement last night. My boys had friends over for a movie night and sleep over.

Minor TV upgrade. Moved the old one to place that doesn't get used much.

IMG_3227.JPG

It's come a long way from here:
1660151845486.png

Next up? The kitchen. I've never cut a counter top, but have watched enough youtoob videos to deem myself competent enough to try.

Taped and marked:
IMG_3579.JPG

Success!

IMG_3581.JPG

Inital mockup to see if things are gonna fit:
IMG_3584A.JPG

And, it does not. Top tip - Just because the countertop says it's 72", you'd best verify. This one is actually 72.5. The problem came in becuase I drilled the holes for the water and drain for the sink cabinet assuming the RH edge would be 6' from the RH wall. And I mounted the sink so it'd be centered over that cabinet. Since the countertop was 1/2" too long, it made the sink not line up. My options? Either cut 1/2" off the countertop or elongate the holes in the back of the cabinet and move it to the right 1/2". I went with the latter since there was still room for the fridge.

IMG_3586.JPG

Everything's lined up and it fits. Still have to install the faucet and final plumbing.

And I've finished the bathroom as well. Sink, vanity, lights, plumbing, shower curtain, towel rods.... Even a doorknob.

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

Next up? The kitchen. I've never cut a counter top, but have watched enough youtoob videos to deem myself competent enough to try.

Taped and marked:
IMG_3579.JPG

Success!

IMG_3581.JPG

Inital mockup to see if things are gonna fit:
IMG_3584A.JPG

And, it does not. Top tip - Just because the countertop says it's 72", you'd best verify. This one is actually 72.5. The problem came in becuase I drilled the holes for the water and drain for the sink cabinet assuming the RH edge would be 6' from the RH wall. And I mounted the sink so it'd be centered over that cabinet. Since the countertop was 1/2" too long, it made the sink not line up. My options? Either cut 1/2" off the countertop or elongate the holes in the back of the cabinet and move it to the right 1/2". I went with the latter since there was still room for the fridge.

IMG_3586.JPG

Everything's lined up and it fits. Still have to install the faucet and final plumbing.
R u going to reverse the fridge door

R u going to reverse the fridge door
I considered it - but I think it's better as is. The door opens more than 90°. Plenty of room to swing fully open as is. If I switch it, I can see an excited kid ramming the door handle into the wall on the left.

OTOH, if I'm pulling stuff out to put on the counter, the other way would make more sense. I guess I'll run with it as is and see if it bothers me.

anyway, you make a hell of a GC. You must still be young enough with a good back

I considered it - but I think it's better as is. The door opens more than 90°. Plenty of room to swing fully open as is. If I switch it, I can see an excited kid ramming the door handle into the wall on the left.

OTOH, if I'm pulling stuff out to put on the counter, the other way would make more sense. I guess I'll run with it as is and see if it bothers me.

What is your hourly rate in Texas?

What is your hourly rate in Texas?

I've got a cushy, 9-5 office job. There isn't enough money for me to do this full time. I drug my feet for a good 2 years before I ran out of excuses to not get started on it. When my wife bought me a new motorcycle, I asked her if that was a bribe to convince me to start on the basement. She informed me that it wasn't - and the basement was happening regardless. The bike was just so I'd complain less about it!

anyway, you make a hell of a GC. You must still be young enough with a good back

That's my Dad's fault. He's a retired carpenter. I spent much of my summers in high school helping him build houses and farm buildings. He's a good resource to have for projects like this. And while he helped for most of the logistics of my back patio, he left me to the fun part of hand troweling it all.

Top Bottom Back Refresh