What's new

Bicycle thread

Relax, it is not meant cause you any concern. I don't buy or recommend junk.

The DHL shipping note is for a couple more Pro aerobar sets same as yours for my personal stock. Our club shop can't buy them at that price.

BTW.... You are supposed to love me the most because I am Christine The Greatest! :dirtdog

I do love you the most, Christine the Greater. :smooch

That's cool that you ordered them as well - I understand it now. I know you wouldn't steer me wrong. I still have the water bladder I ordered on your suggestion that I never got to use since the bike frame broke :P

Reactions: CTG
That was an interesting review. For DC Rainmakers promise of doom and gloom in his opening comments about the RCT715 there really are only a few issues.

The phone app is slow to open files... Who uses spyware phone apps anyway? The device has a removable SD card and a card reader in a laptop is a far superior method of reading files. Or connect the device in USB mass storage mode and charge at the same time.
File naming is not intuitive... blah, blah... Okay, true, but the device is primarily safety, social is an afterthought. Keep it in context.
No image stabilisation. The main criticism I have of action cameras is poor battery life. IS uses more battery. I would happily give that up for five or six hours of device run time time without external batteries.
I didn't see the image quality problems he claims.

I am not a great fan of Garmin, but I dislike this type of rubbish review from someone in his position even more.

My only complaint is I have bikes set up with the 515 style quarter turn mount and don't appreciate the change. I'll get over it.

Last edited:
[
Magene L508 - https://www.magene.com/product_l508.html

Garmin Varia 515 - https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698001

A positive review of the Magene, with a comparison to the Garmin.

Compares pretty well with the Garmin 515 on specs, but daytime light output may be underwhelming. 20 lumen in daylight may not be effective.

Currently, the Magene is $70 cheaper than the Garmin. I bought a 515 for $150 in June, but now it's back to $200 at most U.S. outlets. From what I've seen so far, I'd still pick a $150 Garmin 515 over a similarly priced Magene L508, but if the Garmin is at $200, I'd strongly consider the Magene. Competition from Magene and Bryton may drive Garmin's MSRP down permanently.

I was only saying there is an alternative.

At that price I'd only consider it if it came through a local supply chain with a local warranty. And then I'd buy the Garmin.

Let's talk about bad ideas that I'm just about to do:

new bibs I haven't even ridden 20 miles in? Check. I think I might.

new shoes and cleats, one size larger than my old ones - that I haven't ridden 10 miles in? Check.

Aerobars I probably won't even be able to test before the day of the big ride? Check.

Backup cheap (cheap!) three AAA battery headlight since I don't think my current light will have enough battery? Check.

Never having done this distance, having minimal bag space? Check.

Aftermarket Wahoo Bolt mount that ain't tight enough on the bars? Check.

lol - Perfect!

Do you plan to have whatever tools are needed to adjust the aerobars if they prove to be in an unbearable position?

Is it worth riding with a pack to gain some cargo space?

Can you shim the computer mount with tape to get by for now?

Yes, have a multi tool that will hopefully fit

The main pack starts late - 0730 in the morning. We all joined this even with a start time of 5:50 AM, but the guy running the show now insists that it has to start late. So the debate is who is going to start riding at a normal gravel time, and what times those people are leaving to start their rides. Really, this became something less fun with a stupid start time like that, but I have to imagine he is placating to someone who will be showing up late.

Yeah, I'll figure something out. If the new aero bars leave any bit of the 31.8mm clamping surface available, there is a chance I can use the Wahoo mount and have it tight. That would be ideal, won't know until those bars show up.

What next,,, Cyclists singing Queen's bicycle song through tunnels as they descend the alps? lol

Breaking Away was an hour of my life I'll never get back. I didn't watch the whole movie.

Yes, have a multi tool that will hopefully fit

The main pack starts late - 0730 in the morning. We all joined this even with a start time of 5:50 AM, but the guy running the show now insists that it has to start late. So the debate is who is going to start riding at a normal gravel time, and what times those people are leaving to start their rides. Really, this became something less fun with a stupid start time like that, but I have to imagine he is placating to someone who will be showing up late.

Yeah, I'll figure something out. If the new aero bars leave any bit of the 31.8mm clamping surface available, there is a chance I can use the Wahoo mount and have it tight. That would be ideal, won't know until those bars show up.

You won't have any handlebar left for a computer mount.

K-Edge. Prices have come down a lot.

I think, but don't quote me, that Wahoo uses Garmin mount. GUB is surprisingly good value.

Don't forget a lanyard if your computer will accept one.

Last edited:
What next,,, Cyclists singing Queen's bicycle song through tunnels as they descend the alps? lol

Breaking Away was an hour of my life I'll never get back. I didn't watch the whole movie.

How about American Flyers? You seem more like a Kevin Costner kind of a gal......:D

PM me and I'll give out the satellite tracking link.
I'll be riding with folks who ride 1000 miles solo, etc., so expect me to be off of the rear. This is a 'trying to get back' goal that I just joined, NOT knowing what I was joining other than an 'across Florida' ride. I'm in over my ears, so the goal is to just see what happens when one throws this much new gear, and an overweight and out-of-shape rider at a 200 mile ride.

PM me and I'll give out the satellite tracking link.
I'll be riding with folks who ride 1000 miles solo, etc., so expect me to be off of the rear. This is a 'trying to get back' goal that I just joined, NOT knowing what I was joining other than an 'across Florida' ride. I'm in over my ears, so the goal is to just see what happens when one throws this much new gear, and an overweight and out-of-shape rider at a 200 mile ride.

For Next Year, have you thought about the HTH ride in TX?

4 days, lots of riding buddies...

For Next Year, have you thought about the HTH ride in TX?

4 days, lots of riding buddies...

This is the first I've ever done to get into this, and with the way that my wrists are now, I am not sure I should stay on the long-distance path. But thank you. So many places to visit, so I'm not sure Texas would be on the short list. Wow, that's a lot of entrants though. Just how hot is the event generally? I see that it happens in August.

its is "usually" in the high 90F to 110F.

1666034716950.png

its is "usually" in the high 90F to 110F.

1666034716950.png
With water stops every 20 miles (if I read that correctly), that's do-able for a 100-miler. When that heat gets to that level, I suck dry two 750mL water bottles and a 3L camelbak in what I think is about 40-some miles of nearly all-out solo peddling when I do the 60-mile loop. That's the first water stop. 40 miles with that much water seems like it would be easy until that heat, that humidity and that sun come around.

There are times where my chin is is close to a constant drip, and sweat pours over even my eyes.

With water stops every 20 miles (if I read that correctly), that's do-able for a 100-miler. When that heat gets to that level, I suck dry two 750mL water bottles and a 3L camelbak in what I think is about 40-some miles of nearly all-out solo peddling when I do the 60-mile loop. That's the first water stop. 40 miles with that much water seems like it would be easy until that heat, that humidity and that sun come around.

There are times where my chin is is close to a constant drip, and sweat pours over even my eyes.

You can do a lot of damage in those temperatures. Including brain damage which might go some way to explaining why cyclists are often not the brightest bunch.

I wouldn't....

Even when acclimated we can do a lot of damage.

It can be said the native American, Australian aboriginal, Kalahari bushmen are all acclimated. One thing they all have in common is they do what needs to be done during the cooler parts of the day and when it is hot they will stay in the shade and not exert themselves.

When working, riding, playing in Texas heat, I use this stuff..

I've ridden a century in those conditions with the same experience. Next summer, on unsupported rides I'm going to keep extra bottles in my tail bag and two on the frame. I've noticed that even my narrow CamelBak Lobo makes me hotter, so I want to keep my back clear.
Leave the filled Camelbak in the refrigerator overnight. It makes a world of difference through the morning.

When working, riding, playing in Texas heat, I use this stuff..

I use that as well.

The problem where I ride is - there is no shade, and there is no stopping. If you stop, you could die. Now that I think about it, I really shouldn't ride that 40-mile section alone. But I will.

Holy cow, CTG , these PRO aero bars are the BUSINESS!

I agree with the hex bolt holes being a bit small, but I think I have it just about dialed in to where I won't need to mess with the bolts much more. Have you found replacements that would use the next size allen key?

Question - the instructions first say "Tighten until torque is reached" for the main clamps ... but on the very same line, next sentence, "Close the gap on the side where this is indicated." This seems to be telling me to torque to proper tightness, then torque the side that has 'close' written on it even more. I'm dubious about this over-torquing. What say you?

IMG_6634sm.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom