What's new

Bicycle thread

Most road bikes even old ones won’t take a very big tire. That Surly is special for tire clearance. It’s kind of a anti fancy road bike bike. It has a sticker on the chain stay that says “fatties fit fine”. But still won’t fit tires as big as a modern gravel bike. Brake caliper clearance is a issue as well as frame clearance.
Have you tried to put on a slightly heavier tire on your pacer? I did see a YouTube video where they put a specific tire on under standard calipers. It wasn't a big tire, I'll look for the video.

Here's one with a cyclocross tire. I did see video with a road bike with gravel tire with very little tread.

Right now it has Schwalbe Marathon tires in a 32c size. They are a bomb proof touring/commuting tire. Pretty heavy but the roads up here are poor and lots of gravel. Plus I’m not going to fast club rides like when I lived in southern Canada so I’ll take the weight for lack of flats.

And you've ridden on a gravel road with those? Good to know. The Schwalbe plus look as tough as nails, also.

download (1).jpeg

Carbon wheels are strong. I have them on my MTB that I use to pretend I’m still a 25 year old free rider. And for BC ski hills and shuttle rides. I can’t manage to break them

The Kenda Kwick in a 30mm width was a favorite tire of mine when I worked in the bike shops. I sold truck loads of that tire because it would fit on most road bikes with standard caliper brakes. It was comparable to a 28mm in other brands.

F752779A-D2FE-4FE2-8276-7E6F3E2718CD.jpeg

I Don’t have either a gravel or road bike, but if I was going to pick one over the other it would be a gravel bike for sure.
I’m guessing it depends on where you live, I don’t have any interesting paved roads I feel safe on, but have untold miles of gravel within easy striking distance.

Gravel bikes are the dual sport motorcycles of the bicycle world. They will do everything but don’t do anything great. I can ride singletrack on my gavel bike or pound out some pavement miles.

Rode up Alpine Tunnel one year.... Still have the Santa Cruz Blur as it has been a great bike!

Attachments

• IMG_0029_2.jpg
    IMG_0029_2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh