What's new

Bicycle thread

I don't know if I've already posted in this thread cuz 'm getting old and from what I can tell there's no indicator to show I have?

Which is just me setting you up for a little deja vu if I already put this here...

So anyway, for a lot of years I wanted to build up a Schwinn Typhoon frame with an IGH and some more modern stuff. I had other ideas for that sort of thing, but puthtose off too mostly becaue, you know, motorcycles and stuff.

Flash forward to the day I saw an old Typhoon frame sitting out with the trash. Let it be at first, because I didn't really need any more projects. But then I was telling someone about it and decided I'd go see if it was still there. It was, so I made sure it wasn't, and the next thing you know I'm buying parts and more bikes and joining bicycle forums and volunteering at a local bicycle co-op.

Here's how the Typhoon ended up. More or less. I've changed a couple things since I took this shot but you get the idea. Not shown is the violet colored Schwinn Breeze I bought solely to get it's two speed kickback hub to put on this.
Typhoon_6663.jpg

I also bought a 1956 Schwinn Racer (I was a mechanic in a Schwinn shop for about ten years starting int he late '70s). I bought it because of the finon teh front fender and the old school graphics. This is an after shot. It didn't even roll when I bought it.
Racer_6863.jpg

And then I wasted way too much money on a POS bike I had been "looking for" for ages. A 1988 Rock Hopper Comp in the next size larger frame because the one I bought new was too small for me.
RHCII_6352.jpg

I musta been high when I bought it. It's trashed, I paid way too much, and when push comes too shove... it's too big for me to ride off road. There's a reason I bought the smaller one way back when. The "new" one has been put back together as a six speed with cruiser bars and smooth tires. I don't have any pictures though because it's a bike of shame... I shoudl have never bought i, certainly for not as much as I paid... (which on the other hand is chump change in Ducati money...)

And finally I got the frame from a 1962 Schwinn Racer, but it's a single speed frame. I may look for another kickback hub for it or maybe run with a single speed Bendix coaster. Time will tell...
Cool bike. I have been looking for a kickback or an auto 2 speed for my schwinn project. Will be kinda similar to your build with mixed gen and style parts.

Yesterday was supposed to be a speed run on the gravel. ~26 miles, just stay in the zone the entire time and go for it. I even had us do a pre-ride warm-up spin on the pavement before the run.

Something went very wrong on my end... I averaged 15.7 MPH, and she averaged 17.8 MPH. My body had been fighting something light throughout the week, and the only remnant of the issue was unmentionable - but I couldn't stay in zone four or five, and just past the half-way immediate turn-around I got a case of the chills (temp 77 degrees, mix of sun and clouds during the ride). Now I did give more blood for testing on Friday - like seven thin vials or so - but I don't think that should have affected me. I really don't know.

Oh yeah, and then there's the knees issue. I don't think that internal knee inflammation slowed me down, but I played Pickleball for the first time the weekend before. All last week I was reminded via pain that I screwed up the internals of my knees in a severe MTB accident I had in the 1990's. But was it that, or was walking on angled surfaces (like the beach at the ocean's edge) and stairs made very painful from only really on focusing on cycling as rehab after the two bouts of covid and the foot surgery? It could very well have been just the fact that I hadn't really run/jogged since 2019, and using my legs/knees for being springy on a tennis-court just hurt from not being conditioned to use 'em. So I have an appointment with a physical therapist later today. I am concerned that they will be only able to focus on muscle rebuilding instead of strengthening knees that should have had surgery back in the day. But I don't know what I don't know, so I'm about to try.
My knee issues began at an early age thanks to American football. A stupid activity, but it was fun. Really bad for knees. Tennis and racketball both killed my knees years later after I'd had a couple of surgeries to repair stuff.
Hockey, whether ice or roller was also not great. Free skating was tears inducing pain. But, I'd do it then go play hockey until I was exhausted.

Through and between and after all that came cycling. I learned early to spin lower gearing to save the knees. That strengthened that little muscle at the inside of the knee that on cyclists ends up being a big bulging knob. That stabilizes the patella from the larger muscles along the outside of the upper leg pulling it off center.
My PT people had me sitting on the floor with a coffee can under my knee and doing flex-extensions. As I got stronger I'd do very similar range of motion squats on a machine where I laid on my back and pushed the weight with legs.
When we had a cycling team medical coach, Andy Pruitt, we learned a whole lot about strength training and cycling along with position.
Andy was the only English speaker at the world conference at the 1984 World Championships. He was local and became a great friend to our team. His diagnosis leg to my last surgery that leg to a long road to recovery from an injury that ended my bicycle racing days. That was 30 years ago and now my muscles are stronger as far as the stability in my knees is concerned.

There is still scar tissue of course, at my age there has to be and I avoid a lot of stuff. Pickleball being the latest.
Cycling is the lowest impact activity one can pursue if done correctly.
Mashing big gears while concentrating on speed or power is not good for old or injured knees.
I know from experience how long the road is back from even a slight strain. That road gets longer the older and more injured the knee is.
I've not found any good cycling PT out here, but also have not really looked.

So, with all that blather, what works for me is spinning. I started with a professional bike fit and have had this done several times since the first fitting back in the early 80's for my team bike. All the while I biased that fit to what I knew worked best for my body.
I know what works to a close enough degree that when I bought the Roubaix and they were fitting it to me, a few days after I'd picked it up, they were surprised my saddle was within a few mm's of where the indicators said it should be.

Spinning lower gears is one thing, but outside of cycling, I don't play any ball sports or racket sports and run very little. I can walk and hike on uneven ground without bothering my knees now because the muscles that support the joints are string enough to stabilize those joints as I negotiate uneven pavement, rocks and sand.

Back when I tore up my knee for the last time, it was basketball that did it. I unshipped my femur from my knee joint, tearing the ACL. I popped the knee back into place and continued. I used a fancy brace left over from high school football to stabilize the joint when laying under heat or ice at night to deal with the pain.
I eventually found that heat and the brace did the trick. NSAIDs did not touch the pain. Alcohol only worked for minutes. Mostly I relied on exhaustion. Doctors can't see the soft tissue damage with x-ray, and only see the scar tissue and buildup in the joint in the "moonrise" shot.

I found I could not lay on my back with my leg straight. I had to have a rolled towel under my knee with the heel off the end of the bed.

Oh, and no skiing. My first love as a kid. I quit skiing in the 90's after figuring out every run ended in a moaning teary eyed session to recover enough to ride the lift back up. I figured out real quick that no footrest on the lift meant pain.

After surgery I had a very long five month recovery period where I had multiple incidents of blood filling my knee to the point it would not fit in pants. Sweat pant ride to the doc for very painful draining session. The first time was immediately after my very first PT with a bunch of geriatrics in a pool with as low of impact exercise as possible. just moving the leg in the water was enough to blow it up. After the second time we changed to electro muscle stimulation for a month then back to the pool walk and finally I got to doing those floor extensions. And five months later I could ride my bike and not nearly pass out from pain.
I'd tried to ride about a month after the surgery and nearly fell on the ground after riding across a crack in the pavement.

My awakening to caring for an injured knee that will never again be the same as it was before really hit me when I could not walk at 40. I had one good leg to stand on and needed crutches at least to move off that leg. Live for a month at work with a walker. I got serious and focused on caring for that knee. I took notes from my PT guy and asked questions. Very specific.
And I talked to Andy again to make sure I wasn't going to mess up what was according to my surgeon was my last chance before full knee replacement.

And now almost 40 years after that last surgery my knees are not a real problem. I've been amazed at how much stronger I am than I thought I was.
No, I'm not fast as I was before. 40 years has a way of using up stuff, but I'm stronger than many in my age group and strong enough to still enjoy walking and especially riding.
I also know I am absolutely not ever going to have a knee I can race on at the level I could back in the day. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with not playing ball sports or skiing or playing hockey or racket sports. Surfing doesn't bother my knee because cycling has stabilized my joint to where kicking with my legs while swimming doesn't hyper-extend the joint anymore. Of course my left leg can't straighten to 100% after the surgery thanks to my tearing that ACL three times, making it not long enough to do that. But, it gets to a bit better than 90% and that is good enough.

Good luck.

My knee issues began at an early age thanks to American football. A stupid activity, but it was fun. Really bad for knees. Tennis and racketball both killed my knees years later after I'd had a couple of surgeries to repair stuff.
Hockey, whether ice or roller was also not great. Free skating was tears inducing pain. But, I'd do it then go play hockey until I was exhausted.

Through and between and after all that came cycling. I learned early to spin lower gearing to save the knees. That strengthened that little muscle at the inside of the knee that on cyclists ends up being a big bulging knob. That stabilizes the patella from the larger muscles along the outside of the upper leg pulling it off center.
My PT people had me sitting on the floor with a coffee can under my knee and doing flex-extensions. As I got stronger I'd do very similar range of motion squats on a machine where I laid on my back and pushed the weight with legs.
When we had a cycling team medical coach, Andy Pruitt, we learned a whole lot about strength training and cycling along with position.
Andy was the only English speaker at the world conference at the 1984 World Championships. He was local and became a great friend to our team. His diagnosis leg to my last surgery that leg to a long road to recovery from an injury that ended my bicycle racing days. That was 30 years ago and now my muscles are stronger as far as the stability in my knees is concerned.

There is still scar tissue of course, at my age there has to be and I avoid a lot of stuff. Pickleball being the latest.
Cycling is the lowest impact activity one can pursue if done correctly.
Mashing big gears while concentrating on speed or power is not good for old or injured knees.
I know from experience how long the road is back from even a slight strain. That road gets longer the older and more injured the knee is.
I've not found any good cycling PT out here, but also have not really looked.

So, with all that blather, what works for me is spinning. I started with a professional bike fit and have had this done several times since the first fitting back in the early 80's for my team bike. All the while I biased that fit to what I knew worked best for my body.
I know what works to a close enough degree that when I bought the Roubaix and they were fitting it to me, a few days after I'd picked it up, they were surprised my saddle was within a few mm's of where the indicators said it should be.

Spinning lower gears is one thing, but outside of cycling, I don't play any ball sports or racket sports and run very little. I can walk and hike on uneven ground without bothering my knees now because the muscles that support the joints are string enough to stabilize those joints as I negotiate uneven pavement, rocks and sand.

Back when I tore up my knee for the last time, it was basketball that did it. I unshipped my femur from my knee joint, tearing the ACL. I popped the knee back into place and continued. I used a fancy brace left over from high school football to stabilize the joint when laying under heat or ice at night to deal with the pain.
I eventually found that heat and the brace did the trick. NSAIDs did not touch the pain. Alcohol only worked for minutes. Mostly I relied on exhaustion. Doctors can't see the soft tissue damage with x-ray, and only see the scar tissue and buildup in the joint in the "moonrise" shot.

I found I could not lay on my back with my leg straight. I had to have a rolled towel under my knee with the heel off the end of the bed.

Oh, and no skiing. My first love as a kid. I quit skiing in the 90's after figuring out every run ended in a moaning teary eyed session to recover enough to ride the lift back up. I figured out real quick that no footrest on the lift meant pain.

After surgery I had a very long five month recovery period where I had multiple incidents of blood filling my knee to the point it would not fit in pants. Sweat pant ride to the doc for very painful draining session. The first time was immediately after my very first PT with a bunch of geriatrics in a pool with as low of impact exercise as possible. just moving the leg in the water was enough to blow it up. After the second time we changed to electro muscle stimulation for a month then back to the pool walk and finally I got to doing those floor extensions. And five months later I could ride my bike and not nearly pass out from pain.
I'd tried to ride about a month after the surgery and nearly fell on the ground after riding across a crack in the pavement.

My awakening to caring for an injured knee that will never again be the same as it was before really hit me when I could not walk at 40. I had one good leg to stand on and needed crutches at least to move off that leg. Live for a month at work with a walker. I got serious and focused on caring for that knee. I took notes from my PT guy and asked questions. Very specific.
And I talked to Andy again to make sure I wasn't going to mess up what was according to my surgeon was my last chance before full knee replacement.

And now almost 40 years after that last surgery my knees are not a real problem. I've been amazed at how much stronger I am than I thought I was.
No, I'm not fast as I was before. 40 years has a way of using up stuff, but I'm stronger than many in my age group and strong enough to still enjoy walking and especially riding.
I also know I am absolutely not ever going to have a knee I can race on at the level I could back in the day. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with not playing ball sports or skiing or playing hockey or racket sports. Surfing doesn't bother my knee because cycling has stabilized my joint to where kicking with my legs while swimming doesn't hyper-extend the joint anymore. Of course my left leg can't straighten to 100% after the surgery thanks to my tearing that ACL three times, making it not long enough to do that. But, it gets to a bit better than 90% and that is good enough.

Good luck.

I cannot thank you enough for putting your experiences to words. Both encouraging and enlightening - and I don't feel so bad spinning no matter what the youngsters with good knees think about me now.

Did you continue with knee exercises until recently, or to this day, to keep them strong, or did you strengthen them back then and they remain strong-enough now?

I cannot thank you enough for putting your experiences to words. Both encouraging and enlightening - and I don't feel so bad spinning no matter what the youngsters with good knees think about me now.

Did you continue with knee exercises until recently, or to this day, to keep them strong, or did you strengthen them back then and they remain strong-enough now?
I only did the knee exercises while recovering from surgery and a few injuries. Spinning on the bike was great.

The greatest benefit I saw was during the COVID shut down I bought a smart trainer, (Wahoo KickR), mated to Kinomap I managed to do some fun, yet hard workouts and came out of that stronger than I went in. And now my knees are for sure stronger because of all that work. Man, if I was in my twenties now and wanting to race, which I likely would, I'd have a smart trainer, but likely be doing a lot more structured workouts focused on making me stronger in a shorter workouts because I'd be still working with less time to ride.
Short hours of daylight would be the driver for indoor training when racing age. Now that I'm retired I can do as I please.

To a point.

I skipped riding today because I was still stiff and sore. All muscle stiffness that has mostly worked itself out by mid-day. My motorcycle mechanics yoga, may have had something to do with that. Getting down on the ground, forgetting the wrench I need is in the box.
Getting back up off the ground and from partially under the motorcycle, walk back to the box, get the right size tool, 6mm hex not 5.
Go back, then figure out I need to pull the glove box and loosen up the top tank fastener, so back out form under the bike and up top. Back to the box for the motorcycle key...
Repeat until the task is finished or I run out of steam.
Then a test ride which meant getting on the bike more yoga as the seat is taller than my inseam by a good margin. Well bad margin on uneven ground, so more balance practice.
Rain beginning tonight through tomorrow so Wednesday should be clear at least the way it looks now.

I'm half its age. :dunno

My 97yo great grandmother lives a few rooms from me. She is definitely older and still has her knees... and her wits! :imaposer

Last edited:
The latest bomb cyclone is blowing through now. The little bit of rain we got this far south is expected to be done by the time we have to go pick up our grandson from preschool.

On Sunday when I rode last, the narrow part of the route across the top of the beach at Capo was covered in 2" rock and sand from the storm surf. The crew were clearing a couple of walking lanes. There was one shovel width path I used to get north.

When the really big surf hits at king tides the ocean throws fist sized rocks a hundred feet across the parking lots and leaves sand a foot deep.

Since I've been riding here, going on 6 years now the lot north of the MUT there has decreased in size by half and south of there the old restrooms, basketball courts and guard building are all gone from surf. Riprap has been installed to mitigate the onslaught, but the ocean can still toss rocks and sand far enough and deep enough to close access by car.

Tomorrow might be quite an adventure on GP 5000's.

We're accumulating all the toys for retirement which is creeping ever closer... so this week I saw a great deal on the Polygon Siskiu D7, and jumped on it. Been watching the price on them for months, and it dropped about $600 as soon as the 2023 models came out. So I ordered 2 of them, one for my wife, one for me.

Reasonably decently spec'd entry level full suspension mountain bike, for $1199, not too bad!

Capture.PNG

:ricky

Last edited:
Another week. After dropping #1 daughter and her friends back at school on Monday morning six of us flew east... Romania. I didn't know what to expect and took Wilier Raves with gravel-ish tyres. I shouldn't have worried. Bucharest has surprisingly good cycling and we managed three 100km+ rides with local ladies leading the way.
Friday afternoon we pick up #1 daughter and her friends and make it home before the sun sets

Last edited:
We're accumulating all the toys for retirement which is creeping ever closer... so this week I saw a great deal on the Polygon Siskiu D7, and jumped on it. Been watching the price on them for months, and it dropped about $600 as soon as the 2023 models came out. So I ordered 2 of them, one for my wife, one for me.

Reasonably decently spec'd entry level full suspension mountain bike, for $1199, not too bad!

Capture.PNG

:ricky

The permanent injuries I've seen middle-aged folks get on MTB's get will have me saying "hell naw" to MTB'ing in retirement. I mean, unless someone is retiring in their early 30's I guess...

Do I like the thought of MTB'ing? Yeah. But over and over again what were great flow trails have been turned into stunt / jump MTB trails here, and the after-effects it has on my cyclist friends and acquaintances has taught me a lesson the easy way. Permanent injuries that affect their road and gravel riding, yet those injuries were all from MTB'ing.

I guess that it highly depends on the place and trail systems one lives around though. I'm sure there are still a lot of "trail" MTB-trails out there, but they aren't around here anymore.

The permanent injuries I've seen middle-aged folks get on MTB's get will have me saying "hell naw" to MTB'ing in retirement. I mean, unless someone is retiring in their early 30's I guess...

Do I like the thought of MTB'ing? Yeah. But over and over again what were great flow trails have been turned into stunt / jump MTB trails here, and the after-effects it has on my cyclist friends and acquaintances has taught me a lesson the easy way. Permanent injuries that affect their road and gravel riding, yet those injuries were all from MTB'ing.

I guess that it highly depends on the place and trail systems one lives around though. I'm sure there are still a lot of "trail" MTB-trails out there, but they aren't around here anymore.

Yeah, we will only be doing really easy green trails, not anything hardcore. Took the bikes out on our first ride yesterday, just a paved rail trail. Bikes did great, up until I got a flat tire... silly me - I didn't take any tools thinking I wouldn't need them on a paved trail.

If I had had a pump, we would have been able to limp home since it was a relatively slow leak (would have needed to add air every 15 minutes). But since we didn't have a pump, my wife had to ride back to the truck and come get me while I waited at a county park.

20230115_102113.jpg

There isn’t a problem riding a mtn bike at an advanced age. The problem is when a rider of an advanced age rides like a youngster. I’m struggling with that now not only with mtn bikes, but dirt bikes too.
As you mention trail selection is key. I may not be the best rider, but I think my survival instincts are keeping me healthy ( for now)

We had something the same here. 2020 we built a 2km track. Very fast and the jumps were long and flat. Riders wouldn't get more than 2m off the ground, but with speed and the design of the ramp on the back of the jump they'd fly 20m plus. There have been crashes, but no injuries worth mentioning. They dust themselves off and go again. We were gone for a minute and the guys working on construction altered the jumps for altitude. There were a few instances where track modifications were in conflict with trees when the track was designed very carefully to avoid these conflicts - excuse me for considering safety of the riders. The girls were upset. The final straw for me was damaged trees...
Same again in 2022 with boys from Ukraine. We put the track right again and some of the fast riders show them how it is done. We built them a skate and BMX park and they try to kill themselves there and on the mountain. That's a MTB descent, but they were only given BMXs - rock simple and easy to fix and they make the most of them. Last year I brought a few riders down and there was blood and tears. They heal quickly at least, but making an early start on injuries that'll cripple them later.
We try to teach them there are no prizes for stupidity... :dunno

Early morning. #3 and #4 munchkins have been fed and have gone back to bed and I'm getting ready for this morning's ride. I think there will only be two of us... and Motoslave escort.

I wonder how many mtb riders dropped loading docks as kids or better yet on s drz in 2000
serious 80s carniage from dropping loading docks!

In the 90s I rode strictly bmx 20"on mayhem mtb trails. Ha I walked some but never bent a spindle. Solo and mayhem. I totalled a 1990 giant 760 in 2 days and never looked back...ha good freaking times..gp bmx bike rocked 55mph in in the late 90s with no chain! Old memories

Top Bottom Back Refresh