What's new

Bicycle thread

I need to step up my maintenance logging to better track my wear items, and I assume comparing road chain life span and mountain bike chain life span is an 🍎 to 🍊 thing, but I burn through chains.
My rides are in the 2 to 3 hour range and I tend to clean and lube my chains every forth ride or so depending on conditions but I would be shocked if I am getting a thousand kilometers out of a chain.
It might not be half of that.
I blame it somewhat on the 1 x 12 drive train and spending so much time in the largest two or three sprockets.
that is a heck of a lot of load on just one side of the chain.
That gets me thinking, I wonder if there is a benefit to flipping the chain every so often?
Your chain maintenance thought process sounds similar to how I view dirt bike air filter cleaning.
It is almost as easy to clean 4 or 5 filters as it is to clean one.

Sram chain? Hollow pins and lightened plates? :dunnoSram chains seem to get good reviews then a lot of negative comments by users.

Personally, I might change brand of chains (eg KMC until Connex are available) and with such rapid wear occuring, clean after every ride. That is when I'd want two or three chains, not to rotate although that could be useful, but so that there is a chain ready to go and the bike is not in pieces longer than it takes to thread a clean chain.

Your chain is likely directional so is reversible, but not flippable. Inside links are always inside.

Last edited:
Right now I have a mix of chains on the 1x12’s one is a Sram GS ?the other is a XX ?
Again lousy record keeping on my part, but the higher end XX was recommended for longer life but it seems to being wearing fast while the cheaper chain that spends its life around salt water is holding up relatively well.
For whatever reason, the SRAMs are not directional. But the master links are. I think I will incorporate chain rotation into my new and improved chain maintenance program

Right now I have a mix of chains on the 1x12’s one is a Sram GS ?the other is a XX ?
Again lousy record keeping on my part, but the higher end XX was recommended for longer life but it seems to being wearing fast while the cheaper chain that spends its life around salt water is holding up relatively well.
For whatever reason, the SRAMs are not directional. But the master links are. I think I will incorporate chain rotation into my new and improved chain maintenance program

Are quality SRAM 12 speed (unidirectional) chains getting any less expensive? I'm more in for buying an entire Shimano drivetrain (already have the GRX crankset) than I am spending $100 a chain for gravel where it wears out so fast.

---------

My mum on the used $140 bike I bought her for her one-week stay down here. She'll be 77 years old in early March.

I only just noticed her right legs bows inward. Not sure what to do about that.

I don't know why I do it to myself. Another crazy weekend with #1 and her friends home from school. We took them back yesterday morning, but I am still not home. Meetings all day and will continue into this morning. Some things are not as important as people think... lol. I visited the club shop, the original, for the first time in... well, years. Cafe and public bike shop at ground level, members leave your men at the door area plus gym and pool downstairs. Some new to me PCWs... shiny! The gym was humming and I did an hour workout last night.

Testing has shown many times sram's idea of long life is a lot different to the rest of the industry. I'd still want to try a different brand of chain.

Clearly more research is warranted into this chain wear issue.
I am the first to admit that I am guilty of following the same procedure but expecting a different result.
Which I guess by definition makes me……
Stubborn.. persistent.. resolute..
No that’s not it…
Oh wait, I remember now.

Optimistic? :dunno

Home again. Early swim this morning. Meetings for the rest morning, some were productive. We flew out at lunch time with B in the left seat for another training flight. Two stops on the way home to pick up elderly couples who live in the local community - it is a free service, but there isn't a schedule.. Finally we are home and I change to join the UA girls for a track session. An hour long hammerfest with twenty something other riders at mid-50s plus kph with sprinters rotating in and out to bring pain to riders doing the full distance.

Last edited:
An hour long hammerfest with twenty something other riders at mid-50s plus kph with sprinters rotating in and out to bring pain to riders doing the full distance.

I miss that shit. But not enough to get back to road riding.

Reactions: CTG
School break this week, so #1 daughter and her friends are home and on site UA school is out... Lots of children roaming around. Not exactly soaring conditions, but a few gliders were in the air. A handful of students have started their PPL now. Mostly a formality and a few at a time as they meet age requirements. #1 starts in April. She's turning 18 and I'm starting to feel old... B and I were up in Frankie and sister entertaining some who'll be doing their licence later. Too much slow traffic near home so we headed off towards B's home field to show off. lol

On the weekend I finished two more Ti bikes. DT Swiss plus 11 speed GRX/Ultegra mechanical 12 speed conversion... They are gone now.

No ride day scheduled for me, but got an hour in on the track.

I developed a painful back Saturday morning from something I did on the trainer Friday morning I believe. I tried to bike Saturday, only made it out and back 25.5 miles, with such a terrible average speed that I mostly stayed in zone 1 heart rate. I wanted to go farther, but at what became the half-way point I had to turn around.

Of course I hid the Strava ride from everyone because it was so embarrassing. :lol3

Sunday, the wise GF kept telling me that we didn't need to bike - we could take the day off and relax (she has been doing a ton of cardio and now F45 (it's some fitness place) toning training). I fought it until mid-day, when getting back to the house to gear up for cycling and my back spasmed again. We went to the beach instead. I'm not a beach sitter, layer-outer, etc., but I resigned myself to my fate and just fell asleep there. Probably was the best thing for me as - unlike me - a group a mexican women and men crowded right next to me, NEVER sat or laid down on the beach, NEVER shut up, NEVER stopped yelling at each other, and yet I didn't get pissed off or even care. Maybe she kept me up too late the night before... I don't know.

ZdmgJZT.jpg

I developed a painful back Saturday morning from something I did on the trainer Friday morning I believe. I tried to bike Saturday, only made it out and back 25.5 miles, with such a terrible average speed that I mostly stayed in zone 1 heart rate. I wanted to go farther, but at what became the half-way point I had to turn around.

Of course I hid the Strava ride from everyone because it was so embarrassing. https://data.advbikes.com/assets/smilies/lol8.gif

Sunday, the wise GF kept telling me that we didn't need to bike - we could take the day off and relax (she has been doing a ton of cardio and now F45 (it's some fitness place) toning training). I fought it until mid-day, when getting back to the house to gear up for cycling and my back spasmed again. We went to the beach instead. I'm not a beach sitter, layer-outer, etc., but I resigned myself to my fate and just fell asleep there. Probably was the best thing for me as - unlike me - a group a mexican women and men crowded right next to me, NEVER sat or laid down on the beach, NEVER shut up, NEVER stopped yelling at each other, and yet I didn't get pissed off or even care. Maybe she kept me up too late the night before... I don't know.

Back pain sucks.

But she's looking good Dave. lol

When I linked it here (I'll remove it if you like) I was thinking that must be the only view of her you see... you're always behind! :imaposer

Last edited:
I tried to get out for a ride yesterday. I’m okay with rain and cold, but was turned back after about a half hour by the wind. It was blowing sand off the tops of the dunes like salt spray off an ocean swell.
First time I thought I needed goggles riding a bicycle. It took me a couple of hours of flushing to clear my eyes out after I got home. dam stuff was even in my ears.
Today’s forecast isn’t much better, but I might have just enough cabin fever to try again with goggles.

I thought the same of the beach, to be honest. Took two and a half days to finally get the sand out of my eyes.

I don't get the allure of laying out on the beach.

Well, I spent the night with a sickly 5yo puking on me, and a 3yo in this forum pooping on me for a helicopter comment in this thread months ago. The grudge must have been eating him up. The latest thing is I am a misandrist and an elitist rofl. She's okay now, but I don't think there is a cure for his ailment. When I got out it was for a fairly lively 80km with #1 daughter and her group. It was refreshing.
This afternoon three hours flying with one of the students.

I can't laze around all day either. Not the beach, not my bed. I lay down I sleep, when I am awake I get up. Even this forum is like laying around . I need to be doing something else at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to understand why you got chased out of the Adventure Rider forum.

Top Bottom Back Refresh