What's new

Big Bend and Texas - what shouldn't I miss

Earache

Member Number
I'm going to try to take an early season ride to Texas in late April. "Early season" as it's very snowy here at that time of year. But I'll look for an opening in weather as the date gets closer and get my bike down the mountain and leave it in Denver where the weather should be nicer.

Anyway, leaving Denver the plan is stay 2 nights in Amarillo - hit the Big Texan and Palo Duro and then head to Marathon for two more nights at the Gage Hotel and ride Big Bend.

I have no more plans than that.

So what do I not wanna miss in Big Bend? Will be riding 2 up on a Wing so no off road will be possible.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I live at the edge of the Blue Ridge mountains in N Ga, and the Smokey Mountains in NC, so I get to ride a lot of great roads. 170 from Terlingua to Presidio is one of the best roads I’ve ever ridden. It’s also the only paved road in Big Bend Ranch State Park. The ride from Presidio to Marfa is also very enjoyable.

5B72E736-C0BC-42DD-8843-1A0ABEC4FBC3.jpeg
9971355C-1F75-4BAF-8BE0-588C916EA5D8.jpeg

I've ridden Central Texas' Hill Country many times and have traversed the state on several occasions en route to visit relatives in Louisiana. That said, I've never ridden the Big Bend area but have heard a lot of good about it and that it can be hot during the day even in early Spring and can be very cold in the evenings. So, pack/dress in layers.

My former RT as I approached Palo Duro canyon on the return leg from a LA trip;
i-bXsXRqX-M.jpg

i-rQQ2kLH-M.jpg

2nd the Presidio to Marfa run.
Terlinguia was a meh stop for me.

River rd in BB is fun for a dirty ride.

Start in Del Rio - take 90 west (Comstock, Langtry, Marathon) -> 395S to Big Bend
Enter the park and go to Rio Grande campground - enjoy the view across the River
Turn around and take 118 to Terlingua (stay the night);
Take 170 W (lajitas to Presidio) - one of the best roads; Lunch in The Bean Presidio;
Then 170 to Ruidiosa and Pinto canyon (gravel) OR 67 to Marfa

There is a lot of gravel/dirt roads but only 1 or 2 blacktop - done the above trip
3 times - never got boring

Start in Del Rio - take 90 west (Comstock, Langtry, Marathon) -> 395S to Big Bend
Enter the park and go to Rio Grande campground - enjoy the view across the River
Turn around and take 118 to Terlingua (stay the night);
Take 170 W (lajitas to Presidio) - one of the best roads; Lunch in The Bean Presidio;
Then 170 to Ruidiosa and Pinto canyon (gravel) OR 67 to Marfa

There is a lot of gravel/dirt roads but only 1 or 2 blacktop - done the above trip
3 times - never got boring
Thanks - will try to hit this route one day while there.

While in Big Bend, cross over and have lunch

I totally agree - I did this last year; took the donkey ride to town and had lunch
A totally unique and bizarre (in a good way) experience

The Santa Elena canyon hike. It’s incredible, not very demanding, and starts at a paved road. We also loved the crossing over the river thing that’s already been brought up. And the freaking night sky. What a view of that. On the way out, Fort Davis is a gem, and features an absolutely outstanding observatory in some mountains that I didn’t even know existed. We’ve talked about going back just for that—it would absolutely be worth it.

Camping is the best way to see the darksky out there.

No freaking doubt. We were RVing, not actual camping. But we spent a couple hours every night staring at the stars. If you luck out and catch a new moon, you’ll see the Milky Way from horizon to horizon. The only other place I’ve been like that is Badlands National Park.

No freaking doubt. We were RVing, not actual camping. But we spent a couple hours every night staring at the stars. If you luck out and catch a new moon, you’ll see the Milky Way from horizon to horizon. The only other place I’ve been like that is Badlands National Park.
Look into Cosmic Campground in NM

Heading out tomorrow morning - when the high temp here is gonna be like 35F. That's gonna suck. Plus, it's snowing.
The first 400-500 mile should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom