What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

BMW R12

cabanza

Member Number
BMW has registered the name R12 in multiple countries which leads to believe they will introduce a new, smaller cruiser. Almost 25 years ago, I bought my first BMW, an R1200C in ivory. If BMW uses the engine from the R NineT, sign me up!

arton38455.jpg

Last edited:

staticPort

Member Number
BMW has registered the name R12 in multiple countries which leads to believe they will introduce a new, smaller cruiser. Almost 25 years ago, I bought my first BMW, an R1200C in ivory. If BMW uses the engine R NineT, sign me up!

arton38455.jpg
Very interesting . . .

cabanza

Member Number
I think it's got a lot of potential. The R NineT engine is a really good one. A slight detune to about 100 HP and a bit more torque at 80ft.lbs would be great specs in a cruiser. If BMW would homage the R1200C with the R12, i.e. freshen up the styling, they would have a pretty nice bike on their hands.

LuciferMutt

Member Number
Hmmm. Trying to capture would-be-Sportster 1200 buyers who are turned off by the discontinuation of the aircooled Sportster and arrival of its water-cooled replacement? If so, and it's a good looking bike in the right price range, I think they are on to something. The 1200cc air cooled boxer is a fantastic engine. I still want an R9T but they are a bit pricey for me.

A huge mistake, IMO would be to connect it to the R1200C in any way. That bike was a disaster. I think they'd be wise to slot it below the R18 and style it similarly but maybe a bit more conservatively cruiser-ish without the super flashy exhaust pipes, etc.

cabanza

Member Number
I don't think the R1200C was a disaster. Its tank has a really nice shape. They could use that as a starting point? If they make the bike basic enough like the R NineT Pure with lots of accessories (bag, windshield, option 719, etc.) it should sell. I'd definitely be interested.

Dirtmerchant

Member Number
Meh, I love my R9T Classic and the other iterations but I don't see this being a big seller...

south east okie

Member Number
I thought bout buying a R1200C a couple of times. They just don't have enough horsepower for that weight bike. I think they look cool.

Top Bottom