What's new

BMW Recall-2019-2023 R1250 GS/GSA/RT. Recall No.23V-011

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number
Gearbox breakage could result in n rear wheel lock-up. The recall notice indicates the dealer will perform a software updatec to correct the problem.

I wonder the fate of recalls. Will a bad tire recall just be a download to limit top speed to 55mph.

Called dealer to schedule above recall service and he informed me there was another recall that had to be done. The one where they drill a drain hole in the final drive. I thought I read somthing about that on here somewhere. 🤷‍♂️

Called dealer to schedule above recall service and he informed me there was another recall that had to be done. The one where they drill a drain hole in the final drive. I thought I read somthing about that on here somewhere. 🤷‍♂️
Really? Drill a hole in the FD? Is this due to some posts I've read on the interwebs about early FD failures in late model GS'?

Really? Drill a hole in the FD? Is this due to some posts I've read on the interwebs about early FD failures in late model GS'?
I am not sure. Once I get it done on 04 APR, I will post the recall number (if I can get it from the dealer).

The FD thing is a "service bulletin" (meaning, we'll fix it before it becomes an official recall) Early model wetheads have a hole punched and a duckbill valve inserted at the lower end of the driveshaft housing. The driveine is tested for any stiffness and the driveshaft replaced if it fails. If your bike is in the lot affected and it had more than 60,000 Km on it, you usually receive a replacement DS. Hint: put at least 37k mi on your bike before turning it in for this service, get a new driveshaft.

I'm trying to sort in my head how a SW update prevents a shaft from breaking. Please 'splain me. Overrevving?
I was speaking with a friend who indicated the issue occurred when the rear tire was off the ground. Given that, I am speculating that some unconsidered action takes place when the wheel is spinning at a rate that doesn't match vehicle speed.

Even on my archaic 2015 GSA, with the TCS turned on, the motor chops out the instant either wheel leaves the ground. It's hilarious trying to jump speed bumps with it on. Wonder if the motor stays up when airborne, then shocks the driveline upon landing? But then I think enduro pro mode wouldn't cut off power in a wheels off the ground situation either.

I finally got mine done. Software changes, a new drive shaft and the little drain-plug thing. The software updates take hours! I waited for mine because it's a PITA for wifey to drive up there twice. The only thing I noticed different when I got it back is that hill-holder kicks in much easier now. It only worked about 25% of the time before. This has been a great bike for me. I'm not using it as a dirt machine...Maybe 100 miles of the 25k have been unpaved.

I finally got mine done. Software changes, a new drive shaft and the little drain-plug thing. The software updates take hours! I waited for mine because it's a PITA for wifey to drive up there twice. The only thing I noticed different when I got it back is that hill-holder kicks in much easier now. It only worked about 25% of the time before. This has been a great bike for me. I'm not using it as a dirt machine...Maybe 100 miles of the 25k have been unpaved.
I had my update completed about six weeks ago and only noticed that the hill holder began to work when not needed. I disabled this “feature” in the settings mode.

I wonder the fate of recalls. Will a bad tire recall just be a download to limit top speed to 55mph.
Yes, much cheaper for the manufacturer that way. That's basically what GM tried to do with the Chevy Bolt battery pack before finally admitting that every single one has to be replaced. I was one of the few who convinced them to buy mine back under the lemon law.

Of course, BMW could limit torque via software or they could upgrade the metal shaft components. I think I know which one is cheaper.

Top Bottom Back Refresh