What's new

Bourbon & Whiskey

Been awhile since I went down that rabbit hole but they are not all the little "craft" distilleries you think they are. It's just marketing to get you to spend more $$ on run of the mill crap.

Same with microbrews. InBev & the other big ones have a problem that the beer drinking market has stratified into 2 distinct layers, frat-boy types who want the cheapest buzz they can get & beer lovers who are drinking craft brews. The middle ground for a premium priced shitty beer like Budweiser has shrunk tremendously.

So they are buying up craft brewers and also disguising their own products with fancy labeling. Sometimes you have to look really hard at some very find print to find the real source.

The Diageo Conspiracy

Last time I talked to folks who work here They are doing exactly what they’ve always done. Exactly. A pile of Diageo capital allowed access to modern, profitable bottling. Kept the entire distillery in business and some very skilled people from unemployment. Plus built a decent little visitor center and two or three more jobs. Dickel 8, 12 and barrel select. Select continues to be bottled with antiquated equipment as always. On the mixing floor the 100yo scale and grain scoop are on the job now.

The Dickel name is now used on numerous things having nothing at all to do with this place. Dickel Bourbon is an oxymoron produced ¿quien sabe? Rye is pretty good but is Indiana. Etc. Etc.

B96864CC-84B6-49B1-AF8F-5274D5A90474.jpeg
C335BE8D-F585-4BC4-8D0A-8F22F3F28A23.jpeg

Last edited:
From a 2014 tour of the Highlands.

Not far from our other place of residence.

Relations between the workers & owner's Diageo are not good right now unfortunately;

Not far from our other place of residence.

Relations between the workers & owner's Diageo are not good right now unfortunately;

Awesome that you have a place nearby, we loved touring Scotland by Moto, my wife can't wait to go back. Great riding.

Too bad about the worker issues, hope it can be resolved in a positive way.

We're in the middle of building a home on Skye, exciting stuff & great riding as long as you don't mind a wee spot a' rain that is!

You'll be paying us a visit I hope.

There was a little car meet at Talisker last time I was there

PXL_20210620_113939639.jpg

And the new distillery on the Island is a beautiful place & open for business, I have a bottle of their 1st run waiting for me

PXL_20210621_103021980.jpg

PXL_20210621_104223089.PORTRAIT.jpg

Lots of good stuff to eat & drink locally

PXL_20210618_183233684-COLLAGE.jpg

American Honey Wild Turkey

Attachments

• 74FCA253-6A1E-4A89-8B1A-95177AE14E4E.jpeg
    74FCA253-6A1E-4A89-8B1A-95177AE14E4E.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 13
I always have a 1.75 L of Wild Turkey 101 on the shelf. I usually have a really nice bottle of scotch that I make last me a year or so. Current is Lagavulin 16. I also like stuff from Balvennie. My upscale American whiskey pick is Chattanooga Whiskey Cask 111.

Reactions: EGR
In ascending order depending on if I'm feeling cheap or flush:

1. Evan Williams white label
  2. Four Roses yellow label
  3. Elijah Craig small batch
  4. Knob Creek single barrel reserve

Best bang for the buck lately. $ 27.00 here in MD. I drink Buffalo Trace, Makers, Woodford, Bulleit and the like for reference.
Redemption.jpg

I always have a 1.75 L of Wild Turkey 101 on the shelf. I usually have a really nice bottle of scotch that I make last me a year or so. Current is Lagavulin 16. I also like stuff from Balvennie. My upscale American whiskey pick is Chattanooga Whiskey Cask 111.
Lagavulin story. Last decade or so of my day gig somehow I became designated dead American and North American “rocket” after my employer company was bought by a Danish company. Thirty five states, two provinces trying to sync with the Danes. Airports and hotels. I never let anyone book my travel or lodging. I actually only stayed in hotels with Lagavulin on premises. Compensation is where you find it.

Currently on this one; Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair The latter means helmsman in Scottish Gaelic It is quite smooth and drinks away way too quickly....

I’ll add this one as well… quite tasty too…👌

Top Bottom Back Refresh