What's new

Bourbon & Whiskey

Talisker is my go-to as I'm pretty much a Scotch guy (and I'm biased because we have a place on Skye) but I'm finding some really interesting new California distilleries, these guys are making an excellent whiskey;

RWE_Bottles.png
My three go to whiskys are Talisker, Oban & Delwhinnie.
My late sister was a Lowlands Single Malt fanatic. One glass of Laphroig usually stopped me in my tracks.

This was highly recommended from SPEC's

1655425215145.png

Very smooth.....

Last edited:
I'm currently sipping my way trough this cask strength little number. It's quite BIG actually.

Attachments

• glendullan.jpg
    glendullan.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Now, you might be asking yourself “what the heck does that mean”? Without drawing some elaborate Venn diagram, it basically means that bourbon is an elite class of whiskey that must meet certain criteria to be called bourbon.

Defined by the United States Congress, you must meet a rigid set of criteria to earn the classification of bourbon; otherwise, it is just whisky.

The difference between bourbon and whiskey is defined by the law of the Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits.
What makes bourbon different than whiskey is that bourbon has to:
  • Be made in America
  • Be made of 51% corn
  • Meet distillation, entry, and fill proof requirements
  • Be aged in a new charred oak barrel
  • Not contain any additives

What are your favorite bottles of Bourbon & Whiskey?
So pretty much all the Irish Whiskey I drink, my favourite being any of Teelings, could be very loosely classed as bourbon as they use used bourbon barrels :D They have a very nice looking 38 year old which isn't on their website, for €7,000. They do have the cheaper 32 year on it though, €2,000. I'm at the other end though.

Reactions: MVI
I’ll stick to my grey goose but I have had some whiskey that was darn good!

A question;

Is Rebel Yell still available in the US?

My company was the NZ agent for both Jim Beam & Rebel Yell. I preferred the Rebel Yell.

Strangely it kept coming out on top in blind bourbon tasting we did around the country when stacked up against 12 other bourbons / rye whiskeys.

I won't mention the brand that kept coming last in most tasting as it will rile too many people.

A question;

My company was the NZ agent for both Jim Beam & Rebel Yell. I preferred the Rebel Yell.

Strangely it kept coming out on top in blind bourbon tasting we did around the country when stacked up against 12 other bourbons / rye whiskeys.

I won't mention the brand that kept coming last in most tasting as it will rile too many people.
I’m not sure if it’s still available here but you can’t leave us hanging by not telling us the last place brand!

A question;

yes you can buy it, and have it delivered right to the house.

1656937018823.png

Did a little shopping and found this.

It Pairs well with 106F in Fort Worth tonight

ScreenHunter_3007 Jul. 08 18.12.jpg

1657323302481.png

Uncorked the Glenmorangie Lasanta 12yo last night that my extremely thoughtful son bought me for father's day. Oh my! My birthday is next month, I wonder what will be in the "tall bag" then!

for bourbon been liking this one lately

1644067623188.png

and for the more open whiskey category..... I thought I heard this was going away but can still find it easily

1644067796857.png

That Glenlivet 12 Year is my favorite for a decent scotch that won't break the bank.

:freaky

All this talk about booze and no mention of how to properly enjoy it.

1. Bottle in freezer, because if it freezes it’s garbage.

2. Glass in freezer, or preferably a gel shot glass.

3. Pour, do not add ice like a sub human :)

7E0820C5-E7EF-4ED7-912E-0FCDC710B77E.jpeg
To each their own, but I prefer mine at room temperature with just a light splash of water. Never ice to weaken the spirit.

And the choices for such enjoyment for me are varied. I've tried a good many Scotches over the years, but find the two that always seem to be in my selection are Glenlivet 12 year for an easy mellow sip at a decent price point and Lagavulin 16 year for the enjoyment of it's heavy peaty deliciousness. Usually I have a few assorted others on hand to round out the selection, not including the two very special bottles that are reserved for certain occasions.

I have been starting to eye some of the selections of Bourbons of late as well and do enjoy the difference in flavour of good Bourbon from that of Scotch.

+1 on the Lagavulin. It's the only 16 yr old I can have w/o going to jail :lol3. That has to be enjoyed straight, at room temp. Not really a fan of the highland yellow stuff, more of an Islay guy.

Bourbon is becoming very cluttered recently. Lots of good, but also lots of not-so-good labels out there. Finding a regular go-to that's affordable can be problematic. I've settled on Beam black label as my cheap go-to, with the pricey stuff for special occasions.

Back
Top Bottom