What's new

Bourbon & Whiskey

+1 on the Lagavulin. It's the only 16 yr old I can have w/o going to jail :lol3. That has to be enjoyed straight, at room temp. Not really a fan of the highland yellow stuff, more of an Islay guy.

Bourbon is becoming very cluttered recently. Lots of good, but also lots of not-so-good labels out there. Finding a regular go-to that's affordable can be problematic. I've settled on Beam black label as my cheap go-to, with the pricey stuff for special occasions.

Depends on what constitutes affordable.

About the only bourbon I (lowish end) actually enjoy is The Willet, issue is that it doesn't come cheap. Otherwise Maker's Mark I guess. Most Bourbons are too sweet for me. I guess Blantons kinda works, but again, not cheap.

Buffalo Trace maybe?

I'll usually go to Rye first.

You can't put a price on happiness.

Then again, a Texas Fifth of JD goes for only $40

ScreenHunter_2471 Dec. 14 08.42.jpg
Good stuff. Can never find it with that girl though. :(

Reactions: MVI
You guys know how to make a man thirsty…

Off to the liquor cabinet…

🤦‍♂️

I attended a Scottish Highland Games a few years ago and bought a ticket to an expansive scotch tasting. More unblended single malts than I could count. Lots of peat, little peat, high country, low country, young/old. By the end of it all I couldn't tell the difference between scotch and a glass of water. But it was fun. Weird fun fact: For some strange reason, Crown Royal had a table that was largely ignored by people in favor other more notable alternatives. I guess the girls who were supposed to hand out samples got bored with nothing to do so they left, but not before they opened a bunch of CR bottles for people to sample on their own. Ha, you can imagine the scene when a bunch of sots are left to their own ideas of what constitutes a 'sample size.'

Last edited:
I like Crown quite a bit. I’m not known to have a refined taste though!

I bet the ‘samples’ were king size 🤣😜

My go to has been Makers Mark, but a good friend of mine keeps Woodford on hand. It pains me to admit he was right, but I think Woodford is better. It's available everywhere, too.

Here's an oddball bourbon for you: Amador Double Barrel. It is technically a bourbon because it was made in Kentucky, but then it was shipped to the hills of California to be aged in California wine barrels. It is pretty damn good, and doesn't taste like wine at all. It's no longer available, but I have an mostly full bottle in the bar for special occasions.

1668441859701.png

For something peaty, I really like Ardbeg Uigeadail. At about $80 bottle, it isn't cheap. That's OK, though, since I typically only need a dram of something with that much peat. It goes great with a cigar on a cool Autumn night.

1668441570387.png

I also really like Talisker. I know blends aren't considered the end all to be all, but the Strom blend just tastes right to me. I don't think there is any more of it available, but I still have an unopened bottle. I should open it soon. I have been craving a good Scotch whisky.

1668441687000.png

Finally, there is Irish whiskey. My wife prefers it because it typically has a lighter smoke. Her favorite is Redbreast 12. I think I prefer the Redbreast Lustau edition, but the basic 12 is top notch as well.

1668442470885.png
1668442562456.png

Attachments

• 1668442503034.png
    1668442503034.png
    410.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My go to has been Makers Mark, but a good friend of mine keeps Woodford on hand. It pains me to admit he was right, but I think Woodford is better. It's available everywhere, too.

Here's an oddball bourbon for you: Amador Double Barrel. It is technically a bourbon because it was made in Kentucky, but then it was shipped to the hills of California to be aged in California wine barrels. It is pretty damn good, and doesn't taste like wine at all. It's no longer available, but I have an mostly full bottle in the bar for special occasions.

1668441859701.png

For something peaty, I really like Ardbeg Uigeadail. At about $80 bottle, it isn't cheap. That's OK, though, since I typically only need a dram of something with that much peat. It goes great with a cigar on a cool Autumn night.

1668441570387.png

I also really like Talisker. I know blends aren't considered the end all to be all, but the Strom blend just tastes right to me. I don't think there is any more of it available, but I still have an unopened bottle. I should open it soon. I have been craving a good Scotch whisky.

1668441687000.png

Finally, there is Irish whiskey. My wife prefers it because it typically has a lighter smoke. Her favorite is Redbreast 12. I think I prefer the Redbreast Lustau edition, but the basic 12 is top notch as well.

1668442470885.png
1668442562456.png

That Redbreast Single Pot still is BY FAR the best on that list, and far and away better than a standard Redbrest 12.

Typically this is what I buy/drink.

Attachments

• images (21).jpeg
    images (21).jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. upUsed to be pricey but now it’s in the nosebleed section… Bunnahabhain is a great alternative however with still decent pricing…. YMMV

Top Bottom Back Refresh