What's new

Bourbon & Whiskey

MVI

MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Now, you might be asking yourself “what the heck does that mean”? Without drawing some elaborate Venn diagram, it basically means that bourbon is an elite class of whiskey that must meet certain criteria to be called bourbon.

Defined by the United States Congress, you must meet a rigid set of criteria to earn the classification of bourbon; otherwise, it is just whisky.

The difference between bourbon and whiskey is defined by the law of the Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits.
What makes bourbon different than whiskey is that bourbon has to:
  • Be made in America
  • Be made of 51% corn
  • Meet distillation, entry, and fill proof requirements
  • Be aged in a new charred oak barrel
  • Not contain any additives

What are your favorite bottles of Bourbon & Whiskey?

Woodford, I have tried many and just go back Woodford.

It is nice that they dropped the line that required Bourbon to be made in Kentucky.

a current favorite, 100 proof

1644067655571.png

Last edited:
Laphroaig is my choice for the smokey peaty stuff. Glenlivet is just smooth.
Oh god yes, Laphroaig is ::chef's kiss:: I'm almost through my yearly bottle Yinzer gets me for my bday.

Ardbeg 10 is another peaty one I enjoy but it's harder to find, at least where we live. It's a great one to try if someone is scotch curious and wants to give the Islay style scotches a try. It's kinda lighter on the peat and dirt and is an easy transition from whiskey.

Oh god yes, Laphroaig is ::chef's kiss:: I'm almost through my yearly bottle Yinzer gets me for my bday.

Ardbeg 10 is another peaty one I enjoy but it's harder to find, at least where we live. It's a great one to try if someone is scotch curious and wants to give the Islay style scotches a try. It's kinda lighter on the peat and dirt and is an easy transition from whiskey.

Taking notes as said bday is swiftly approaching.

Looks like the ardberg 10 can be gotten with a little bit of a drive. Or the ardberg corryvreckan is in stock. At $95 a bottle though that is a bit spendy for me.

Looks like the ardberg 10 can be gotten with a little bit of a drive. Or the ardberg corryvreckan is in stock. At $95 a bottle though that is a bit spendy for me.

Worth it if you treat it like the treat it is! I pour scotch an ounce at a time and savor. Tall pours are what the Woodford is for.

Old forester
Wyoming whiskey.
Duckel rye and 8 year are my baseline, regular go to's

Just bought this last week.
Me likey!

1644208865759814982957972649185.jpg

My standards are plain ol’ Makers’ and Bulleit bourbon. Slightly fancier are Col EH Taylor and Basil Hayden. I don’t care for Woodford, but know a bunch of people that swear by it.

Reactions: MVI
Back
Top Bottom