What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

Brake pads ( cheap) ???

south east okie

Member Number
Has any of you folks tried the cheap ebay brake pads?

I installed a set of Carbone Lorraine SBK5 front pads on my '96 1100gs today. With shipping those pads are a little over $100 from Beemer Boneyard.

I see complete sets , front and rear, on ebay for under $30. Doesn't "seem" like the ebay ones could be as good ?????

High Country Herb

Member Number
The last set I bought wasn't cheap. $74 per caliper. They are the racing spec pads from Ferodo. They work cold or hot. When I installed them on my old rotors, they took about 50 miles to get bedded in. I went from having to squeeze hard to get stopped, to lifting the rear wheel with 2 fingers. That's worth the price to me.

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number
The last set I bought wasn't cheap. $74 per caliper. They are the racing spec pads from Ferodo. They work cold or hot. When I installed them on my old rotors, they took about 50 miles to get bedded in. I went from having to squeeze hard to get stopped, to lifting the rear wheel with 2 fingers. That's worth the price to me.
Do you go off road with those pads?

south east okie

Member Number
Most of my riding is 2 track and pavement , I'm not hard on brakes , I'm old , and old school, so I use my rear brake more than the front.

My son is hard on brakes , he test the ABS a lot.

south east okie

Member Number
Where did you buy those pads ?

High Country Herb

Member Number
Do you go off road with those pads?
Yes, some. The bike is a 450 lb Aprilia supermoto, so it's meant for the street/highway/track days. I also do forest service roads and some light singltrack.

1644638798444.png

LuciferMutt

Member Number
Galfer sells a pad with a "1054" compound, they call it "semi-metallic" but it's really closer to an organic pad and is not sintered metal. I put a set on my F800GT when I put new rotors on it and I like them very much. Nice and progressive. GG friction rated, so a bit higher than the FF stockers I pulled out but less grabby and much easier to modulate. The best part is they are about $35 a pair. I'd say they are a nice replacement for stock pads at a much better price. They will almost certainly not last as long but they should also be kinder to the rotors.

katbeanz

Member Number
I put a set of rmatv sintered pads on rear of GS, a wee bit thicker, after a couple hours made the rear drag. I'm a novice GS rider, not hard on the brakes and have used the ebay pads with no issue. Bit of a ridge on rear rotor at 53k though, may prove rumors of faster rotor wear with cheap pads.

Top Bottom