What's new

Brake pads ( cheap) ???

Most of my riding is 2 track and pavement , I'm not hard on brakes , I'm old , and old school, so I use my rear brake more than the front.

My son is hard on brakes , he test the ABS a lot.
I'm about the same age as you and my question is why do you use the rear brake more than the front?

We are all aware of the physics and understand that front brakes deliver more stopping power than rear brakes. That being said, I would rather have brake pads that wear quickly and replace them than have pads that last a long time at the expense of shorter rotor life.

Ausfahrt, I'm not real sure why I will go to the rear brake first. I grew riding on dirt roads, grab a hand full of front brake on the old '70's bikes on dirt and down I would go. That's probably why.

I didn't have a bike with ABS until '05. I use my front brake , but not as much as the rear, for normal stopping/braking I'll always use the rear.

I've owned/ridden a motorcycle since I was 12. I keep on thinking "one of these days I'm gonna learn how to ride". I'm not so sure now:-)

I've never owned a motorcycle more than 2 months that I haven't dropped.

Last edited:
I put a set of rmatv sintered pads on rear of GS, a wee bit thicker, after a couple hours made the rear drag. I'm a novice GS rider, not hard on the brakes and have used the ebay pads with no issue. Bit of a ridge on rear rotor at 53k though, may prove rumors of faster rotor wear with cheap pads.

I think at 50k that rotor wear is probably about normal!

Yes, some. The bike is a 450 lb Aprilia supermoto, so it's meant for the street/highway/track days. I also do forest service roads and some light singltrack.

1644638798444.png
Herb: This thread is in the BMW section. I don't think Ferrodo even makes pads for BMW. I have Ferrodo on my '2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R. They work very well. They weren't cheap. I bought HH pads for my '22 GSA because I wanted more bite from the front brakes. They weren't stopping the bike very well..especially that last 10 feet...seemed like it was gonna roll into a rear bumper sometimes. HH pads helped.

I would caution casual road-bike shoppers against getting racing pads. Most of them need heat to work well and can be very hard on rotors...That's expensive in the long run. HH pads are generally easy on rotors, just give a little more bite than some stock pads....some bikes use HH as their stock compound.

Ausfahrt, I'm not real sure why I will go to the rear brake first. I grew riding on dirt roads, grab a hand full of front brake on the old '70's bikes on dirt and down I would go. That's probably why.

I didn't have a bike with ABS until '05. I use my front brake , but not as much as the rear, for normal stopping/braking I'll always use the rear.

I've owned/ridden a motorcycle since I was 12. I keep on thinking "one of these days I'm gonna learn how to ride". I'm not so sure now:-)

I've never owned a motorcycle more than 2 months that I haven't dropped.
Okie:

Check the size of the rear brake and then check the size of the two front brakes. Why do you think they make such a deal of the front brakes and put such a small one on the back?

For dirt riding, front brake must be used with great care, but otherwise, it will always work better. On GS, and most RTs, the linked feature is only on the front. The rear brake is independent if you push the foot pedal. So, if you habitually use the pedal to stop your bike, those little rear pads won't last long.

Try going out and practicing some fast hard stops in a safe place with the front brake to get more confidence in it. Then, when you see how fast you can stop the bike, try using just the rear brake. No contest!

When you really need to stop fast, front brakes are the only ones that can do it. Good to not lean on bad habits in case of trouble.

Okie:

Check the size of the rear brake and then check the size of the two front brakes. Why do you think they make such a deal of the front brakes and put such a small one on the back?

For dirt riding, front brake must be used with great care, but otherwise, it will always work better. On GS, and most RTs, the linked feature is only on the front. The rear brake is independent if you push the foot pedal. So, if you habitually use the pedal to stop your bike, those little rear pads won't last long.

Try going out and practicing some fast hard stops in a safe place with the front brake to get more confidence in it. Then, when you see how fast you can stop the bike, try using just the rear brake. No contest!

When you really need to stop fast, front brakes are the only ones that can do it. Good to not lean on bad habits in case of trouble.
Thank You.

You would have thought I would have figured that on my on , seeing as how there are 2 front rotors and only 1 rear on my bikes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh