What's new

Budget bikes

Ausfahrt

Member Number
Last fall I picked up a '91 750 Nighthawk for $750 with the intention of fixing it up and selling for a bit of profit. To say that it was a running bike would be generous but it did fire up. I got it home and after cleaning the carbs it ran much better.
1659383618208.png

Then my son and his girlfriend flew up from Florida to visit us and Junior loved the little Honda and he wanted it as a commuter bike. So I bought and mounted a new set of tires, bled the front brake, changed the oil, and put new plugs in. I then bought a cheap Ebay rack and threw on an old top box that I had in the shop and just generally lubed and freshened the 30 year old bike as best I could.

I will be trailering the bike to Florida in November and I hope that It'll be a solid commuter bike for him. With only 17,000 miles it should have a lot of life left and the total cost was only about $1200.
1659384040945.png

Last edited:
Low maintenance, long life, comfortable . Not a canyon carver but a good commuter bike.

Ya did good Dad !
Thanks!

I was surprised that he wanted the Nighthawk because he put nearly 30,000 miles on my old KLR back when he was still living at home and he always preferred dual sport/enduro bikes.

He is 27 now and planning on getting married and would like to buy a house so I suspect that the price was a major factor. Try finding a decent KLR650 or any other dual sport in rideable condition for $1200.

Last edited:
Bought this '98 1100GS with clutch out for $1,000. Got and installed a clutch pack from Beemer Boneyard for low side of $500. Pic of My son on it at the Va, Wv state line and a closer pic of the thing.
Black #1.jpg
black #3.jpg
black #2.jpg
black #4.jpg
black.jpg

Changing out a clutch on a dry clutch boxer is no small deal. I have often wondered if I would take it on when and/or if the time comes for me.

Great job.:thumb

Last edited:
Last fall I picked up a '91 750 Nighthawk for $750 with the intention of fixing it up and selling for a bit of profit. To say that it was a running bike would be generous but it did fire up. I got it home and cleaned the carbs and it ran much better.
1659383618208.png

Then my son and his girlfriend flew up from Florida to visit us and Junior loved the little Honda and he wanted it as a commuter bike. So I bought and mounted a new set of tires, bled the front brake, changed the oil, and put new plugs in. I then bought a cheap Ebay rack and threw on an old top box that I had in the shop and just generally lubed and freshened the 30 year old bike as best I could.

I will be trailering the bike to Florida in November and I hope that It'll be a solid commuter bike for him. With only 17,000 miles it should have a lot of life left and the total cost was only about $1200.
1659384040945.png

I always thought that those were some of the best looking bikes ever made.

No way, what a score. I used to see the Morphous/Maxim in Japan. They would come out at night in packs for meetups in various locations in Tokyo. Some of those bikes were pretty wild. How much work does it need?

Bought this '98 1100GS with clutch out for $1,000. Got and installed a clutch pack from Beemer Boneyard for low side of $500. Pic of My son on it at the Va, Wv state line and a closer pic of the thing.
Black #1.jpg
black #3.jpg
black #2.jpg
black #4.jpg
black.jpg
Bro, we need to have a talk about this seat cover 😁

Ive had a few but this one still makes me chuckle. Nah it runs, just needs a battery. LOL They red koted the tank with the fuel pump still in it. Ended up at $500.00 and another $500ish in tires, fuel pump and maintenance stuff. Great bike
1660772922606.png

1660773282679.png

I'm on the hunt for something like that- not the bike, but rebuilding a 250 or something. stripping it down and redoing the entire thing.
I was going clean it up enough to have as a pit bike and a buddy who wanted a project offered to do it. Next thing I know its completely apart and hes buying NOS and OEM parts. I was doing ebay. He bought me out and did a pretty good job restoring it.

I'm kinda looking for a 250 Honda Rebel type bike to make a rat bobber out of. I've never done anything like that before and I think it would be fun.
I'm limited by my lack of experience, ( and probably my skill ), and my shop. I have a "farm" shop , welding machine , torch, drill press and grinder.
If I find one cheap and close I'll give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom