What's new

Cabot Trail - any tips, must see's etc?

With so many wonderful places to ride why would you choose an interstate drone through corn country?
Have ridden the western States to death at this point and the two others that I ride with are located in Indiana. They've come out west for the past 4 years to ride each summer and want to try something in the East. We've ridden TN / NC / GA so many times that we're kinda tired of that and thought the northeast might be a place to try.

There's good riding south of Indy and from there you could head into eastern KY and on into West Virginia. West Virginia is one of the best kept secrets out there, especially the eastern part in the Monongahela National Forest. Keep heading east and you're in western Virginia which also has very good roads and scenery. Or from Indy you could head southwest to Arkansas.

Last edited:
Punkinhead - I lived in Indy for awhile and rode the shit outta 135 / Brown County. Went to college near WVA and agree - decent riding there but have done it too many times. Did AR last fall - wasn't really feeling it.... maybe I missed something.

Planning a ride to Nova Scotia this summer with a few friends and am looking for any tips, etc. as none of us have been there before.
We'll be riding big bikes (GS1250's and a Super Tenere) and staying in hotels for the entire trip.

Have ya been there?
Cabot Trail.jpg
I have done Nova Scotia a number of time as well as Newfoundland and crossed the Trans-Lab before pavement. My wife and I toured it and I documented it in my blog which I do more for my memory (at 73) than for the public. Go to my blog and click on 2015 and scroll to August.

Ok2blost.blogspot.com

Don't hesitate to stay at the BNB's because they are reasonable with great breakfasts. Frankly we found the BNB nicer than the hotels and much cheaper. The Maritimes are gorgeous! If you want to see the ocean with fishing villages then you need to do the Lighthouse Route from Yarmouth to Halifax (see Peggy's Cove). My wife would love to go back for a third time in the last 6 years.

You only have 12 days for your whole trip? I would suggest you ship your bikes to me in Newfoundland, stay at my Moto B&B enjoy some great riding on the island and book it home. Or take a month.

But if you insist on NS it's not a bad place to ride. I have ridden the Cabot Trail both ways, the last time last fall I did it CC as someone told me it was better. They lied! As was stated there are not many real coastal views, I remember seeing 2 places I looked and thought it was pretty. That being said there are 2 or 3 sections of tight twisties that are super fun but to me that was the highlight. You can get the same twisties all over the Appalachians. It took me exactly 3.5 hours to do a full lap only stopping for gas. The stops mentioned above are all worth it. I don't get where all the hype for the Cabot Trail came from, obviously people who never bothered to ride Newfoundland as our scenery blows the socks off almost all of NS!

Riding the shoreline of the Bay of Fundy to me is definitely more scenic and the roads give you better views. Both the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia sides give good rides. A lot of the southern shore of NS is pretty as well, I spent 4 months last summer working out of Chester wandering all down that shore.

Riding the Cat is fun but double check it's running as you make plans. It can save a bunch of not as interesting saddle time going up and around.

Feel free to PM me about Newfoundland. I'm looking to set up a shipping service for my customers to save them travel time. Shipping from here would save some customs hassle.

Lighthouses! I love them! go look up the lighthouse game on the Iron Butt website. You'll see one guy with 2 gold's. He's a friend of mine. You too can play that game.

skibum69 - Yup, 12 whole days to do it all. Gonna have to haul butt across the Midwest, PA and NY to get there in time, but we've done rides like this before (obviously we're not too smart at times).
My wife works for a hotel management firm, so we get highly discounted / free rooms on these trips so I tend to stay there instead of B&B's, hostels, Airbnb, etc. Pretty good benefit for us. But, have a link to your Moto BNB?

Our proposed route would take us on the NB side of Bay of Fundy - along Route 1 past St. John. We'll stay a couple of nights in Sydney, NS before heading back west. Our return trip might be a bit longer as 2 of us might split off in PA and head to Tennessee. That'd stretch our trip closer to 16 days.

Getting to Newfie is gonna have to wait as we simply won't have time this trip. But next trip....

I have no idea if this new forum will let cross post from ADV'ers but here's my build thread if you want to see what we've been up to. Feel free to PM me with any questions etc.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/newfoundland-two-wheel-inn-campground-under-construction.1234815/
Got the link. Fuck me that looks like a lot of work! I like "The Shed" - I'd be hanging out there all the time. I'd love to do that to our mountain house, but the county probably wont allow it.

Even though we're not officially open this yer we're taking in guests, a few groups have booked already. Plus there's a HUBB rally on the west coast this August and I host a wee rally at my house too.

Skibum has a newly renovated B&B that he's itching to put to use. You won't be disappointed.

A nice routing/GPS aid can be found here: https://www.newenglandriders.org/b-o-n-e/?locale=Nova+Scotia

Lots of maps and files that can be downloaded. Ed's done an amazing job of mapping out routes all over the Northeast US.
We scrubbed the Canadian portion of the trip and are only going as far as Maine instead. Will also hang out a bit more in Vermont. Looking forward to going - leaving on 25 May.

Top Bottom Back Refresh