What's new

Camping Lantern

Yooper_Bob

Socially Inept
Member Number
Want to add a very compact camping lantern to my travel kit. Something to sit on the picnic table after dark.

Thinking about the Black Diamond Moji.

16987_source_1655878369.png

Any other good suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions but I'm interested to see some. The lamp you posted looks like a solid option though. I like that it has loops to hang it with and at 3.74oz with 3 AAA alkaline batteries it's pretty light.

I pruned my headlamp from my kit on my last trip. My EDC flashflight clips to my hat so I figured that the headlamp was redundant. I lost my hat on day 3 or 4 so I was wishing I had brought my headlamp.

I have an attachment that screws in the base of those gas canisters used for cooking. Has those little bags that you light with a match. works well and saves space since I already have the gas canisters.

I already have a fantastic Nitecore headlamp.

20220110090503_54011.jpg

Just looking for a decent "lantern" that can be used to put out some ambient lighting when sitting at a picnic table.

Headlamps are often too blinding when sitting around in the evening chatting.

Often when traveling out west there are fire bans, so need some other form of light.

I don't do any camp cooking, so no fuel\stove.

I like my Luci 2.0 Solar Lantern. I really need to use it more.
1670523370845.png
Very nice! And it compacts nicely and is light.

DimensionsInflated: 4.25 x 5; collapsed: 4.25 x 1 inches
Weight4.4 ounces

For a lantern, I've been using an el cheapo copy of the old Coleman lantern that is basically a mini with batteries. Once it's dark, you really don't need a ton of light to see your way around camp. These things are about $5.

1670558862658.png

For a headlamp, I found these USB rechargeable lights that clip on your hat. I use them at work, where concrete pours often start well before dawn. It isn't a spotlight, so not great for tunnel work, but the flood style beam is excellent around camp. They are also incredibly light. It weighs less than a plastic wrist watch. $20.

Amazon product ASIN B06W2HTG1T
1670559077220.png

1670559058499.png

Attachments

• 1670558831946.png
    1670558831946.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 3
Do any of these led lights double as a tent warmer?

I had the same thought, so I bought one of these bees wax candle lanterns (for car camping). Even with 3 candles burning, the heat it provides is insignificant. We lose electricity quite a bit where I live, so the purchase wasn't a total waste. I thought about getting an actual tent heater, but decided the money would be better spent on a good temperature rated sleeping bag.

1670596928777.png

I used to leave a propane lantern going in my one building. In a few hrs it could melt the snow off the roof. Then the sun would do the rest. The heater buddy might be the best answer for tent heating. We have one for power outages. Steve Wallis camping channel uses one of these heaters in the later videos.

I had the same thought, so I bought one of these bees wax candle lanterns (for car camping). Even with 3 candles burning, the heat it provides is insignificant. We lose electricity quite a bit where I live, so the purchase wasn't a total waste. I thought about getting an actual tent heater, but decided the money would be better spent on a good temperature rated sleeping bag.

1670596928777.png
Have you tried the non beeswax candles they offer?

I like this...

Great storage spot for the headlamp and makes a great lantern. When stored the whole thing is very compact.

Vont led lantern amazon
Not able to do link. Got half dozen around for power outages, sprinter camping, etc. magnetic base for vehicle work is great.
B2E81EB2-E829-4B3A-B5B5-273B83EE36A6.png
3736123C-876D-4B16-A8B1-C7AC6B053B4B.jpeg

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh