What's new

Camping light

I have 2 UL quilts (20° & 60°), insulated air mattress, inflatable pillow, and 5 lb BA tent. Several UL stove setups that use alcohol or Esbit, along with a jetboil. Everything I need for a week in the road weighs less than my empty Jesse Panniers. I really should sell them and go rackless. Probably GCAG. I do love the pannier racks for dragging the beast around though. The new Enduristan soft panniers look great but $$$$. My tent would be the next thing to upgrade. But it’s in such great shape and works so well that I can’t justify the expense.

The best way to drop weight and volume is to not bring it. Only the necessities. I could probably drop my cook kit for 90% of my trips. As it is now, I only use it for coffee.

I just picked up a SW Motech 60 liter dry bag to replace my aging Ortlieb 89 liter roll top. I never stuffed the big bag but it was a bit floppy at times. Smaller bag precludes bringing the kitchen sink too... :lol3

29lb this weekend. I'll be close enough to civilization and at a rally so 2 meals is plenty.
PXL_20220603_023930656.jpg

I’ve only camped off my bike twice now but in an attempt to keep it light I weighed every item I packed and recorded it in a spreadsheet to help keep track of it all and to provide a baseline for future trips.

Not terribly light, about 50 pounds with luggage. But all the comforts are there for a week in the forest . Including a light hammock for naps, A heliox and a 3 leg folding stool, Loppers for firewood, and a decently appointed first aid kit.(dry bag across the seat
That is on top of the standard overnight kit Bag, tent, stove ,water filter...
The tank bag carries my DSLR and gear.(an additional 10 lbs)
The Givi top box runs basically empty, Just riding gear for rain and temperature changes. And for groceries/chotchkies that I pick up on the way
Somewhere I have a pict of the gear laid out. Mostly backpack gear but not generally the lightest versions
IMGP0536.jpg

D0EFCA8C-69B3-49AC-A557-3B6866D59F59.jpeg

This is a pic of my camp (on the right). It is a REI bivy sack (this bivy is mesh, I have since switched to a waterproof one) with a tarp over top for a sheltered space. The air mattress is an insulated big angus. The sleeping bag is a down REI. The pillow is an inflatable sea to summit. I don’t always take the camp chair in the photo, it is bulky.
How is it sleeping in a bivy? My Hammock and tarp are only 600grams. I can set up on the ground. The tarp is great for that. The hammock is fine. It works, but mostly its UL and I don't like getting it on the ground. It's too good, and irreplaceable. I'm considering adding a Borah Bivy for when I have to go to ground. Here in the Northeast that is rare, but I'm riding the TAT this summer, and will be places the hammock isn't going to work. The Borah actually looks pretty spacious as far as bivys go and only a 6oz penalty.

I picked up a Haven Tent used to check out. Really comfortable, and goes to ground easy enough, but damn does that thing pack HUGE! Im more concerned with pack size than actual weight, although they tend to go hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom