What's new

Carpenter talk

Took on the rest of the slab. My first pass the jig was not parallel and left ridges. Not a problem since I was taking two more passes.

AaFFVj.jpg
JewCYW.jpg

Last pass was much smoother. I was starting to belt sand for smoothness when the belt broke, no spare.
rONXWG.jpg

Reactions: cal
Milled off the back to level it off, then screwed on a backing plate to hold the two pieces together. Finally belt and finish sanded the good surface.
Wh7nVg.jpg
BbJi52.jpg
2hbVAo.jpg
fnaid0.jpg

Made a hell of a mess.
SE6qGa.jpg

Back from the Drone Expo. I added a seal coat to the project. I plan to fill the cracks with aquarium rocks, then poor in the epoxy!

yYfMIi.jpg
joNLMJ.jpg

Last edited:
When I quit trying to compete in the race to the bottom, life got a lot better.
Reading along here because I like to fancy myself a jack of all.......bs. I dabble in woodworking, do my own electrical, fix my own cars/bikes, etc. I own a car dealership in real life and your statement above is spot on. Even still I find myself "needing" that sale to make the month look better, racing to the bottom. Its a hard habit to break.

that deck in the OP was atrocious :lol3 even a hack like me could see that was bad.

I try.

I think she'd annoy me quickly. I prefer Wood Girl. She makes what she needs.

Im probably not the one to preach as have zero guards on my tools, but she should have a stop on her fence front of the blade so that the cut piece doesn't bind the blade like that. I have seen a block kick back and go through a plywood door 10 feet behind the saw.
Rookie mistake in my book
That said.. she is cute as hell, so there is that.

I believe he means a block clamped to the fence to put the wood against. Then when you push the wood forward into the blade, it clears the block, which gives the wood room to move once cut, so it won't bind.

Like this:

Are you talking about a riving knife?

No, a block like the example Yarz posted above. You need to create a space between your cut off and the fence to allow the work to move away from the blade and not pinch causing a kick back.
Also as the video above also shows a bit, If you let your mitre gauge run long past the blade and tall enough to not cut off the end, so it will push your work past the spinning blade.
Or better yet , Make a sled.watch
Not to knock the extremely cute girl in the tight dress, But anyone with a shop of that quality should know these things

I know nothing of Wood Girl, but I suspect that's a commercial shop on the Pacific Rim, and she's somehow related the the owner. I've seen some other safety issues aside from the clothing, but I guess those are the sacrifices she makes for her audience.
Oh... I plan on watching all of her vids! I mean really, none of the guys on my Jobsites look anything like her and they are all just as careless.

Super Wood (TDN) / Wooden Nails

1651582294202.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh