What's new

CBR750R

cabanza

Member Number
It's funny that we don' even have the new Hornet that yet another bike is being talked about. Sure, it would make sense Honda makes a CBR 750R given Yamaha made an R7. Especially since Yamaha is seeing some success. I hope Honda goes for a less radical position on the CBR...

ung-Machine-01-2023--169FullWidth-8a6913da-1973190.jpg

I dont get the ptwin movement. The 650r is available. I will always view this as mucked down motos at a premium price.

Ya the best I've ridden was a tuned 2007 ninja250. But compared to vtwins on bigger displacement no... lightweight is 350lbs. My Ape is 270lbs with 70hp.

There is cool factor outside of performance. I do agree with. But crap ergos and wannabe sportbikes is not cool.

I dont get the ptwin movement. The 650r is available. I will always view this as mucked down motos at a premium price.
For me, in my area of narrow twisty mountain roads, the p twin is the perfect bike to bridge the gap between sumo and super sport.

Sumo- torquey, light, sucks on the highway.

Middle weight twin- torquey, lightish, smooth on the highway

Super Sport- no balls down low, killer top end. So so on the highway with meh ergos.

Good example. My FZ07 would run off all leave my buddy's VFR, until 70-80 mph when he would catch up and shoot by like a rocket ship. I was comfy to ride all day, he needed to stop and stretch. Another buddy's sumo'd WR450 would absolutely stomp all over my FZ07 from a standstill and in tight switchbacks, but the WR's tongue was hanging out just trying to cruise at 55-60mph.

I'll admit I'm only interested in 270° twins. Tried to buy a Versys 650. Comfy, looked nice with kickass factory luggage. Strictly was going to be a long distance/ cold weather bike. But the 180° p twin in that thing was pure blah. If that's the only experience I ever had with p twins I wouldn't get the hype, but that 270 crank really does change everything.

Last edited:
For me, in my area of narrow twisty mountain roads, the p twin is the perfect bike to bridge the gap between sumo and super sport.

Sumo- torquey, light, sucks on the highway.

Middle weight twin- torquey, lightish, smooth on the highway

Super Sport- no balls down low, killer top end. So so on the highway with meh ergos.

Good example. My FZ07 would run off all leave my buddy's VFR, until 70-80 mph when he would catch up and shoot by like a rocket ship. I was comfy to ride all day, he needed to stop and stretch. Another buddy's sumo'd WR450 would absolutely stomp all over my FZ07 from a standstill and in tight switchbacks, but the WR's tongue was hanging out just trying to cruise at 55-60mph.

I'll admit I'm only interested in 270° twins. Tried to buy a Versys 650. Comfy, looked nice with kickass factory luggage. Strictly was going to be a long distance/ cold weather bike. But the 180° p twin in that thing was pure blah. If that's the only experience I ever had with p twins I wouldn't get the hype, but that 270 crank really does change everything.
My xj550 and fz6r pulled from below 20mph in 6th gear. My thumpers almost match that. But my point is dont sell me mucked down shit as being great or the next best thing. No way.. I won't mislead. My maxim 550 weighs 415lbs from the 80s and will climb anything. 6in of front suspension travel. Or is it user friendly and I need abs. I thought it was tires and skill.

Last edited:
I agree and I dont. Nothing against any rider or bike. But I choose not to have ptwins for performance.

My xj550 and fz6r pulled from below 20mph in 6th gear. My thumpers almost match that. But my point is dont sell me mucked down shit as being great or the next best thing. No way.. I won't mislead. My maxim 550 weighs 415lbs from the 80s and will climb anything. 6in of front suspension travel. Or is it user friendly and I need abs. I thought it was tires and skill.
FZ6 are great bikes but will never have the off idle torque of a big bore. 600cc ÷ 4 cylinders = 150cc each time it goes bang. 700-800cc ÷ 2 cylinder= 350-400cc each time it goes bang.

The same way a 125cc thumper can never have the grunt of a 450. And why a 450 would out accelerated my 700 twin. Big bore's just release a lot of power at once compared to small bores.

Everyone likes different things though. I've got buddy's who grew up on the high rpm small bore screamers of the '80's and '90's and that forever will be their definition of a sport bike. There's no right or right answer. High rpm screamers feel annoyingly weak to me because I don't have a place to use them. I know liter bikes are crazy strong, but they would feel lazy in tight woods where a 500cc dirt bike with a fraction of the horsepower feels like a brute.

The fz6r is a different engine than the fz6. Both the xj and fz6r 4 cylinder bikes can pull 6th gear below 20mph. But my vstar 1300 is a dog below 3200rpm plus all the driveline lash. My klr also can not match the 4cyl bikes. 5th gear on the klr is atleast 43mph. Very interesting...I found a r7 price breakdown video the other day from a noob rider. A gsxs1000 would have cost less.

As much as I loved my FZ07 the R7 seems a bit pointless to me. If I'm gonna deal with super sport ergos it better have the engine to match.

As much as I loved my FZ07 the R7 seems a bit pointless to me. If I'm gonna deal with super sport ergos it better have the engine to match.
Yes a summary on my thoughts about ptwins. The fz09 seems very ideal with shinkos as an all arounder.

I put 200 street miles on this R7 to break it in before my wife takes it to the track and actually found the opposite to be true. All of the 600s I've owned and ridden were peaky bitches with miserable ergonomics, and those two things combined made for a miserable riding experience on the street. The R7 engine (as you know) has a sweet midrange and a great growl and the engine was the best part of those miserable 200 miles, by far. I wasn't expecting that! But having said all that, it was still 200 miserable miles that I hope to never have to repeat haha.

And yes, I meant to use the word 'miserable' five times in that paragraph. :D

r7-as-of-feb-5.jpg

But back on topic, I hope Honda makes a CBR750R with an IMU! Or Suzuki makes a GSX-R800 with one. Or Yamaha makes an R9. I don't care who, but someone please make one!

Last edited:
All of the 600s I've owned and ridden were peaky bitches with miserable ergonomics, and those two things combined made for a miserable riding experience on the street.
And that’s why the Daytona was best of the class.

I put 200 street miles on this R7 to break it in before my wife takes it to the track and actually found the opposite to be true. All of the 600s I've owned and ridden were peaky bitches with miserable ergonomics, and those two things combined made for a miserable riding experience on the street. The R7 engine (as you know) has a sweet midrange and a great growl and the engine was the best part of those miserable 200 miles, by far. I wasn't expecting that! But having said all that, it was still 200 miserable miles that I hope to never have to repeat haha.

And yes, I meant to use the word 'miserable' five times in that paragraph. :D

r7-as-of-feb-5.jpg

But back on topic, I hope Honda makes a CBR750R with an IMU! Or Suzuki makes a GSX-R800 with one. Or Yamaha makes an R9. I don't care who, but someone please make one!
So is it friendly track bikes that what the design is. I thought that was the ninja ptwin series from the 80s. Hmm I thought sumos bridged that gap. But r6 money for an r7 is nuts. I might get the gsxs1000 for an adv build just because.

I do find humor in the changes of the world but I disagree with marketing. But lap times are lap times. Ask the outlaw street minibike scene in the 1320.

If/ when Honda makes the CBR750R, I hope the ergos will be less racy and more roady. The R7's ergos are way too cramped.

p-twins are taking over the world.... 270 degrees at a time ;-)

I don't own one and have not ridden one, but there must be a reason.. manufacturing, user satisfaction I'd say.

p-twins are taking over the world.... 270 degrees at a time ;-)

I don't own one and have not ridden one, but there must be a reason.. manufacturing, user satisfaction I'd say.
Thermal efficiency and in line machining. Plus one cam chain. The theory comes and goes for the last 100 yrs. But industrial engines run vtwin or thumper.

Back
Top Bottom