What's new

Chainsaw Bar and chain Information/ data.

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Chainsaw bars and chains have always been something of a mystery to me, i have read guides watched some videos on youtube and yet when i look even with a magnifying glass i never see any numbers or markings that add up to anything i see or read in the advice.
And guess what, looking for details on my electric saw today the numbers add up to more or less nothing.
Its got a OREGON Bar and the terms double guard and low profile and oregon are clearly painted on but only numbers as such i can find are "Oregon D7 506070", a look on the oregon data i could find on a google search, just threw up the "D" aspect probably meant 3/8th which i sort of guessed anyway. Anybody who is knowledgeable on the wonders of chainsaw bar and chain identification would you be so kind as to help me out please, i am sure others will gain from any advice on chain id generaly and help with what to me anyway is pure witchcraft and without physicaly taking it to a local farm suply and matching it up i have no idea. put it this way any chance of ordering a chain onliune for example is a no no at this stage. HELP! :lol2

a picture might be worth a 1000 words.

Make / Model of the Saw/

Man, these things can get confusing in a hurry. The chain and bar ought to have some info stamped on them. Failing being able to decipher those hieroglyphics, I just match it up to stuff hanging on the wall. Works pretty good, and striking up conversation with the guy at the saw shop usually teaches me something I didn't know I needed to learn anyway.

"You sure you want another chain just like that one?"

I guess. It's what came on the saw so I figured...

"Try this instead and let me know what you think"

Yeah buddy, we're throwing chips now!

Nothing beats a new chain and bar !

Last edited:
a picture might be worth a 1000 words.

Make / Model of the Saw/
Can take a photy in the morning, but it will just show a cheapo may be china or possibly italian or spanish electric chainsaw the plastics are a bit supple and durable for chinese imo.
its 1800w and the bar is as i described oregon its black has white painted lettering on it and the number is the one i posted.
Chain is not that worn but its blunt and i tried sharpening it with a saw file guideless it seemed to cut great then went off sudenley and i thought a new chain and or possibly a sthil chain file with the guide on it might be an option, i had one i used on my petrol ryobi pcn45/45 it worked great but it went with a breakin we had a few years ago.
I had this saw given me it replaced a smaller black &decker electric saw that burnt out the armature last year.
I use the electric saws a fair bit around the place they are quiet and work ok cutting up wood to log length for the fire, i only use the petrol ryobi for in the field cutting if i can get the wood home i mostly prefer to use the electric for quiet and convenience. I will take a picture or two though.

a while back I had to find a new bar and chain for a small electric saw, there are a lot of saws that take this bar and chain, it might help you narrow it down.....

Last edited:
a while back I had to find a new bar and chain for a small electric saw, there are a lot of saws that take this bar and chain, it might help you narrow it down.....

This Electric is a 240 volt i have used two of them over the years when near mains or with generator etc, both of them were probably 1980s black & deckers , the first one was we had at work it cut hundreds of bags of logs from scrap wood and fallen trees and was surprisingly reliable and over ten years or more. I used petrol saws around home or hand saws for gathering and cutting wood to handlable length to load and get home at times.
I was given a Black & Decker last year very similar to the first one off a friend when considering getting an electric saw for around the house, it worked fine but though the 14 inch bar and chain were fine the brushes wore out soon with the comutator being very grooved, i replaced the brushes and it rejuvenated it for a wile and i cut most of my wood last year with it only to see it burn out completely in the end.
This saw unknown make green in color was again given with the caveat "it needs sharpening its yours" .
It is in good order generally and have hopes it lives a long life.
I have thought about a small cordless 12 inch to use for gathering river wood to save on me using the folders or bow saw or humping the petrol saw and fuel about.
Mate has a cordless it was cheapish and has proved reliable over two years of the exact sort of job i would like one for.

Top Bottom Back Refresh