What's new

Charge or not to charge

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number

The Sacramento Bee reported Tuesday:

Hoping to avoid blackouts, the California Independent System Operator, which manages the state’s power grid, warned Tuesday that it probably will issue a series of Flex Alerts over the next several days. Flex Alerts are voluntary calls for conservation during the afternoon and evening hours, when energy use tends to soar. Residents will be asked to turn up their thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using dishwashers or other large appliances, and hold off on charging their electric vehicles, all during the 4-9 p.m. time frame.
Already, the grid manager has issues a “restricted maintenance operations” notice starting Wednesday — a directive telling power generators and transmission line operators to delay routine maintenance that would take generating or transmission equipment offline.

The flip side is doing what tesla has, and allowing electric vehicles to help put some power into the grid.
That depends on each individual state wether that can be done or not. In some states, the power companies have a monopoly on power generation and don't allow customers to put power back into the grid... I also can see why that can be dangerous too, as most people don't know the meaning of maintenance and their system could electrocute a line worker.
After a major hurricane, I and many others lived on generators for weeks at a time and when the linemen came in the neighborhood they always wanted everybody to shut down their generators, as some wouldn't think of shutting off the main circuit breaker in their panel.... That is what you should do during a hurricane anyway as the power fluctuates so much it will destroy your appliances or even the lines in the walls, hence some homes burning down after power has been restored...

Problem with major shifts like this is, adoption of (x) slowed because the infrastructure is insufficient, and the those in charge of the infrastructure want to see the demand driven by (x) first before upgrading the infrastructure.

Sun drenched Mid Ohio.

My very long time friend’s retirement house. In the photo is his entire self contained solar/storage/hvac system. The panel is the roof of garage containing Tesla. He’s been powering the entire deal since day one AND selling electricity into the local utility. Ohio has balls enough to tell the utilities to do it. California does not have the balls. Quite simple, actually.
5AE239CC-31BA-4160-9E37-7930BF5C7471.jpeg

Or, possibly, they can’t manage the engineering…?

Sun drenched Mid Ohio.

My very long time friend’s retirement house. In the photo is his entire self contained solar/storage/hvac system. The panel is the roof of garage containing Tesla. He’s been powering the entire deal since day one AND selling electricity into the local utility. Ohio has balls enough to tell the utilities to do it. California does not have the balls. Quite simple, actually.
5AE239CC-31BA-4160-9E37-7930BF5C7471.jpeg

Or, possibly, they can’t manage the engineering…?
That is a pretty slick setup he has there.

The Sacramento Bee reported Tuesday:

Hoping to avoid blackouts, the California Independent System Operator, which manages the state’s power grid, warned Tuesday that it probably will issue a series of Flex Alerts over the next several days. Flex Alerts are voluntary calls for conservation during the afternoon and evening hours, when energy use tends to soar. Residents will be asked to turn up their thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using dishwashers or other large appliances, and hold off on charging their electric vehicles, all during the 4-9 p.m. time frame.
I stumbled on to a Sacramento Bee article years ago and was cracking up laughing at it. I thought it was satire, like The Onion or the Babylon Bee.

It was quite depressing when a buddy that I shared the article with explained to me that they were being serious. 😔

Back
Top Bottom