What's new

Cheap motorcycle GPS to start with

Or I could just get a mount for my smartphone. My current smartphone is on its last legs but I'll be getting a new one soon.
I was only thinking of the damage to the camera, due to vibes , so you wouldn't want to use your main phone!

I won't be routing but may use waypoints at some time. I'll be picking up a few Garmin Nuvi for $6.99 at Savers when I see them. Maybe I'll eventually snag a Zumo this way.

I'm on call all the time, I plan to wander not too far from home and use the Nuvi to get me home quickly if needed.

I've been using Google maps for a long time and lately its just been pissing me off, time to switch for a while

Well this afternoon I got out there & found a Nuvi 205, this thing is TINY less than 4"x3" with a 3.5" (diagonal) screen.
And it was only $5.99
I'll cable it up to a big power bank in a tank bag until I wire in a charging port.

It's maps are out of date but why do I care, there are alternatives to overpaying Garmin for an update. I've got a Garmin with lifetime maps around somewhere, I wonder how tough it'd be to clone?

Attachments

• 20220616_172950~2.jpg
    20220616_172950~2.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220616_173507_HDR~2.jpg
    20220616_173507_HDR~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220616_173927.jpg
    20220616_173927.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Well this afternoon I got out there & found a Nuvi 205, this thing is TINY less than 4"x3" with a 3.5" (diagonal) screen.
And it was only $5.99
I'll cable it up to a big power bank in a tank bag until I wire in a charging port.

It's maps are out of date but why do I care, there are alternatives to overpaying Garmin for an update. I've got a Garmin with lifetime maps around somewhere, I wonder how tough it'd be to clone?

Those are tough units. Hard to see in the sunlight. I still have the one I used years ago.

Here's a vid on waterproofing it.

Thanks for the video! It seems pretty easy to read in sunlight to me after turning the brightness up to 100% but I'll make a shade for it as well as some type of lanyard to keep it with me if it pops off the 17mm ball mount from vibration.

That cheap XT has to be a scam for sure. Having said that I’d look at one. I like mine a lot. And you can route on the XT without Basecamp albeit a bit fiddley with the smaller than a laptop screen….

Just received this unit for just over 150 Euros. Will install it if it ever stops raining here.
This is basically an extension for your expensive phone, that you can now leave in your pocket, yet use your favorite GPS app.
Permanently installed, waterproof. Touchscreen works nicely with regular gloves.
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 20.48.12.png

I just buy old, cheap Garmins off of ebay. Usually get them for less than $20. A baggie sandwich bag takes care of waterproofing. Yes, I'm ' frugal', but they do everything I need them to do, and I don't cry if they break or get stolen.

Just received this unit for just over 150 Euros. Will install it if it ever stops raining here.
This is basically an extension for your expensive phone, that you can now leave in your pocket, yet use your favorite GPS app.
Permanently installed, waterproof. Touchscreen works nicely with regular gloves.
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 20.48.12.png

Amos, what's the name of that device?

It's a China brand. JAMCHE.
Supposed to have Linux base, instead of Windows CE.
Just to be clear for those not familiar with Car-Play and Android-Auto. This is phone extension. It's basically useless without your phone.

thumbnail_IMG_5346.jpeg

Motorcycle Special Navigator, 7 Inch Touch IPX6 Waterproof Motorcycle CarPlay Monitor, Wireless ios CarPlay, Wireless Android Car

Specifications:
Item name: Motorcycle Special Navigator
Processor: [email protected]
Mobile phone connectivity: Connect Bluetooth FM WiFi
BT: Support BT BT5.0
Wireless module: 2.4/5GHz wireless wifi
FM transmitter: support original car radio
Screen: 7 inches, IPS, 1024x600, capacitor touch
Video Output: None
Startup time: 4S
Mode of power supply: mini-USB/car charger/voltage loss line
Storage: TF card (C10/U1 above maximum support 256GB, not included)

Mobile phone App control, compatible for device (wireless CarPlay) and Android device (wireless Android Auto).

Operating Voltage: DC 5V 2.5A
Operating current: (DC 5V) current reference screen size
Static current: 1mA or less
Storage Temperature: -20℃-70℃
Battery capacity: 1200MA
Operating Temperature: -10℃-65℃
Operating humidity: 15%-60% RH
Waterproof: IPX6 waterproof
Item Size: Approx. 8.7 * 4.7 * 0.45 inches
Individual Item Weight: 0.45 kg/0.99 lb

Top Bottom Back Refresh