What's new

Cheap motorcycle GPS to start with

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
Up to now I have resisted putting GPS on my bikes. I have a smart phone so if I really get lost I can use google maps to figure out where I am. I'd like to get a GPS and mount it so I can see it while riding but I'd like to start out with something cheap.

Any opinions on this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274977377203?chn=ps&var=575258867203&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:15TMxv0DTTf-FC6Y8C3j4Ug6&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=575258867203_274977377203&targetid=1599090334777&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012726&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1599090334777&abcId=9300697&merchantid=113611164&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm4OjpLKr-AIVL3FvBB1ZcAdAEAQYBSABEgJBQ_D_BwE

Any other suggestions?

That no name one seems like trouble. The name brand ones cause enough headaches. That's a smoking deal on the XT. Almost too good to be true if you ask me. Garmin 64st (used on eBay) is the cheapest model they've made that would route via the road. The screen is small and you have to use Basecamp. I prefer the hiking models(Gpsmap, Oregon, Montana) to the Zumo series(with the exception of the XT) for off-road Track following because they do it better.

I like my Garmin but if it died tomorrow, I would probably switch to a durable Android, Sonim XP8 specifically, and run Locus Pro.

What's your budget?

That no name one seems like trouble. The name brand ones cause enough headaches. That's a smoking deal on the XT. Almost too good to be true if you ask me. Garmin 64st (used on eBay) is the cheapest model they've made that would route via the road. The screen is small and you have to use Basecamp. I prefer the hiking models(Gpsmap, Oregon, Montana) to the Zumo series(with the exception of the XT) for off-road Track following because they do it better.

I like my Garmin but if it died tomorrow, I would probably switch to a durable Android, Sonim XP8 specifically, and run Locus Pro.

What's your budget?
I'm thinking that XT is a scam. I have no experience with GPS except for Google maps on my phone and the GPS in the planes I used to fly. I would like to get something cheap just to get some experience with using GPS on my bikes and then I would expect to upgrade in a few years once I have some idea what I am doing. I don't have a set budget but something in the $100 - $150 range would be nice.

the garmin 66st is good, small screen, but is acceptable. The are getting cheaper too.

I won't be routing but may use waypoints at some time. I'll be picking up a few Garmin Nuvi for $6.99 at Savers when I see them. Maybe I'll eventually snag a Zumo this way.

I'm on call all the time, I plan to wander not too far from home and use the Nuvi to get me home quickly if needed.

I've been using Google maps for a long time and lately its just been pissing me off, time to switch for a while

Last edited:
You don't have to use a dedicated motorcycle GPS. You can always just use an inexpensive car unit and protect it from the weather as needed.
1655197758597.png

Don't you lose the touchscreen function? Is it sensitive enough?

Typically it still works. I used basic garmin Nuvis for getting around the US for a long time, in all weather. I would put a plastic zip lock bag over them in really bad rain. I think buying an used and cheap Nuvi is a good way for someone to dip their toes into the GPS world.

There are a lot of no name car GPS units for sale around $50. I have read they don't work well or last. The Garmin 52 EX is $95 at Wally World and gets pretty good reviews. I am leaning towards getting that.

I have ridden well over half a million miles without GPS and I don't want to get to the point where I am riding everywhere looking at my GPS screen. However there have been times when I wanted to get somewhere and had trouble navigating. Many roads out in the sticks are missing signs.

There are a lot of no name car GPS units for sale around $50. I have read they don't work well or last. The Garmin 52 EX is $95 at Wally World and gets pretty good reviews. I am leaning towards getting that.

I have ridden well over half a million miles without GPS and I don't want to get to the point where I am riding everywhere looking at my GPS screen. However there have been times when I wanted to get somewhere and had trouble navigating. Many roads out in the sticks are missing signs.
You can easily find a newer model Garmin Nuvi on eBay that is practically brand new for under $50. Load the Nuvi with OSM maps and go on your way!

You don't have to use a dedicated motorcycle GPS. You can always just use an inexpensive car unit and protect it from the weather as needed.
1655197758597.png

I make and sell these "GPS Sun Shades". In 10 years and 30,000mi including 7 days of hard rain in Alaska, the "cheap car version " GPS never shorted due to water

1655215757133.png
ScreenHunter 1241.png 1655215853830.png

Last edited:
Rugged smartphone, wireless or magnetic charging, Osmand or Guru for offline maps, no cell service or data needed other than wifi to download maps.

Back
Top Bottom