What's new

Clutch switch issue '16 R1200GS

pcoburn

Member Number
Looking for help on where to find the electrical connector for the clutch switches so I can test it.

I can't start the bike when it's in gear, even with the clutch pulled in, and I can't change driving modes when moving (as I understand from the manual I should be able to change with the clutch pulled in). The first switch (to disengage the cruise) it working fine, but the other one when the lever is pulled all the way in isn't. I can hear 2 clicks so I don't think it's a physical issue / adjustment of the switch itself.

If the switch is bad, is that switch available as a repair part? I didn't see it looking at the online parts fiche.

Thanks, Phil

I guess I should have looked harder before posting, LOL! I found the clutch switch in the fiche - $100. Part number is 32 72 8 537 609 in case someone else has the same issue and finds this thread in the future.

Looking for help on where to find the electrical connector for the clutch switches so I can test it.

I can't start the bike when it's in gear, even with the clutch pulled in, and I can't change driving modes when moving (as I understand from the manual I should be able to change with the clutch pulled in). The first switch (to disengage the cruise) it working fine, but the other one when the lever is pulled all the way in isn't. I can hear 2 clicks so I don't think it's a physical issue / adjustment of the switch itself.

If the switch is bad, is that switch available as a repair part? I didn't see it looking at the online parts fiche.

Thanks, Phil
By any chance have you installed after market levers? I've had some Chinese products that work well for a while but, eventually, they quit activating the micro-switch.

Mike

No, all stock levers and I can definitely hear both clicking. I'll take the switch off tonight and test it.

No, all stock levers and I can definitely hear both clicking. I'll take the switch off tonight and test it.
It does have a little bit of adjustment by loosening the long screw and moving it slightly, BUT, if you hear both clicking, I suspect the switch is toast. I've heard of them failing and keep one in my kit, just in case. Please let us know how it works out.

Mike

I have the same problem. The second microswitch seems to work intermittently at best, and the problem first emerged after riding in a particularly nasty rainstorm. I removed mine and sprayed it with some electronics cleaner, cycled the switch a bazllion times with my fingers, put it back in, and it worked for a couple of years. This year, about 1 in 25 tries will it crank in gear. I think the contacts get munged over time. $57 is a bargain. When I first looked for a replacement, that little switch was $89, now it's $100.

you can drill down into the GS911 menus to see if the switch is working or not. I should probably pull mine and re-spritz it.

I removed the switch and tested it off the bike. The second switch is definitely not working electrically. I decided to get the OEM switch ($100), I'm sure it's the same company making the eBay one, but given these switches seem to be unreliable at best I didn't want to risk getting something with possibly lower quality control.

New switch installed and things are working fine. I did give myself a bit of a scare when I first tried starting with the clutch in until I realized I had the side stand down.

Back
Top Bottom